Site Migration *UPDATE*

UPDATE: I have identified an issue with the SMF forum software which has been causing a great deal of server resource usage.  I have re-installed SMF and the 'tapatalk' mod (removed for now) and re-enabled the forum (on the old hosting account).  This is what you are seeing now.

Meanwhile, the main site, forum, and wiki has been migrated to a vps, though it is not currently being pointed-to by any DNS servers.

Here is the plan.  After the new site has been thoroughly tested, I will switch my registrars name servers to point to the new site.  DNS propagation usually takes 24-48 hours.  The forum on the new site is in the state the forum was in on March 15, and is set to "maintenance mode".  During the DNS transition you may see the old site or the new site - if you see the forum in Maintenance mode it means you are probably seeing the new site, and some new posts might appear missing.  As soon as I see the forum in Maintenance mode, I will shut down the forum on the old site, backup/restore the database and attachments to the new site, and then turn off Maintenance mode on the new site... make sense?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that started happening was php5 crashing many times per day, causing 40MB+ core dumps to get generated.  You would think nothing in SMF code could cause this, and the code hasn't changed since going to 2.0.1 several months ago.  The tech looking at this decided they need to have a "Level II Technician" look at it on Monday  :o

Pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the 'tapatalk' mod, but not yet figured out how it could possibly cause a PHP crash.  I am going to quit investigating this for now since there are much bigger fish to fry.  So for time being, tapatalk support will be turned off  :(

30-60 minutes for the DNS TTL still seems like a bit much.. You should be able to have them lower it down to 5 minutes.

Yup, they lowered it to 300 sec., but they just did this, so still have to wait a day or two before making the name server switch, right (but then when the NS's are switched, it should only take 5 min for everyone to be updated, right)?

If you are using PHP52. There are serious bugs in PHP5.2 and using any sort of Zend Optimizer or xcache. Gist is stay away from PHP5.2 if you have control over that.

I've had tons of problems with 52 in my experience. 53 fixed all my woes (if SMF will work with it).