unRAID Server Release 5.0-rc4 Available

Everything is working fine on my end. I'll be upgrading to 3x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards here shortly, hopefully those work fine too. I'm planning to flash them to the latest firmware.

I'm also interested in knowing the compatibility of rc4 with the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards.  Thank you!

I've had no issues with the AOC-SALSP-MV* card and rc4

Why don't you try it and see?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the new Release come out - Tom should send email to everyone...

That how software companies does it.

thats how they does it? I don't know of any companys that offer that.

If i recieve an e-mail talking about upgrading my software i delete it as it is mostly (if not all) phishing e-mails.

If you want to be notified, subscribe to the "accouncements" forum, that way whenever there is an announcement, you get notified.

Thanks for the new release Tom! Will be trying it tonight.

The move from 4.7 to RC2 with the downgraded kernal has been *almost* bump free  ;D

Everything is working fine on my end. I'll be upgrading to 3x AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 cards here shortly, hopefully those work fine too. I'm planning to flash them to the latest firmware.

I'm also interested in knowing the compatibility of rc4 with the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 and AOC-SASLP-MV8 cards.  Thank you!

Same here, running since 22 hours.

Same here, running since 22 hours.

I was going to post the same, but realized that he is asking about the AOC-SAS2LP-MV8 not just the AOC-SASLP-MV8, I have 3 of the SASLP (not SAS2LP) working fine with RC4 (and RC3, b14, b12a).

I upgraded from RC3 to RC4 both by doing clean installations.  However, I noticed when assigning all of my drives that i didn't have an option of sda.  My parity started with sdb.  I have 1 parity and 5 data drives.

How can I change the sd* order so I can start from sda and end with sdf?

I upgraded from RC3 to RC4 both by doing clean installations.  However, I noticed when assigning all of my drives that i didn't have an option of sda.  My parity started with sdb.  I have 1 parity and 5 data drives.

you cannot.  The sd? order is assigned as devices are initialized and can change from one boot to another, even if no hardware changes are made.

It is possible that in this particular boot sequence that sda did exist, but was subsequently disconnected and re-identified as another drive letter.  The ONLY identifiers that will remain the same are those under

/dev/disk/by-id

where the drive is identified by its model/serial number.

Type

ls -l /dev/disk/by-id

to see the three letter "sd?" identifiers affiliated with specific disks.

Joe L.

;D

Well, I think Joe is being a little too negative here, saying "you cannot".  With enough money, you should be able to discuss this with Linus and a few of the other Linux core developers, and obtain a customized version of Linux just for you!  I mean, we're not talking billions here, just a million or 2 (maybe even a little less)!  Plus, you would need to negotiate a price on maintaining your customizations over future kernel releases, which could get a little expensive, but think of how *convenient* it will be, never having to worry about the parity drive changing letters!    :D

Edit:  Actually, for $200,000 up front, I'll be happy to discuss it with you myself!

It is assigned in libata-core, and it would not be hard to use a table with serial numbers and device sdX letters to assign based on a drive serial number.

The tricky part is... where do you store the table that the booting kernel can find it?

I'm assuming you want to use the /dev/sdX device in other commands when you know the unRAID drive number, but don't know the /dev/sdX device name.  If so, then a much easier approach is to simply use a script after the server is up to create a bunch of symlinks using the order you want.... so:

/dev/su1  --> /dev/sdX of unraid drive 1

/dev/su2  --> /dev/sdX of unraid drive 2

/dev/su3  --> /dev/sdX of unraid drive 3

so if you want to run smartctl on unRAID drive 3, use the "/dev/su3" device.

I was just asking if it was possible to change the sd* order since when I had 5beta14 and 5RC3 all the sd* where in alphabetical order.  I've saved a screen shot will of my drives correct order serial numbers.

Other than that, it just bugs me it isn't in order!  I'm one just one of those picky persons.

So NFS issues are resolved in this release, or improved? What has actually been changed/addressed? Is the change of Kernel attempting to fix this? Regards

unRAID Server Version 5.0-rc4 Change Log

========================================

Release notes are on the unRaid wiki:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=UnRAID_Server_Version_5.0-beta_Release_Notes

Changes from 5.0-rc3 to 5.0-rc4

-------------------------------

- linux: use kernel version 3.0.33

- linux: add "AMD Family 10h+ temperature sensor" driver (k10temp)

- linux: add "AMD Family 15h processor power" driver (fam15h_power)

- linux: add "Intel 10GbE PCI Express" driver (ixgbe)

- linux: add "SCSI generic support" (sg)

- shfs: fix NFS stale file handle problems

- samba (SMB protocol): put 'root' in 'invalid users' list in /etc/samba/smb.conf

- samba (SMB protocol): set 'max protocol = SMB2' in /etc/samba/smb.conf instead of in /etc/rc.d/rc.samba

- emhttp: when user deleted, purge user from all access lists

- emhttp: improve start/stop array operations

So NFS issues are resolved in this release, or improved?

Improved - the stale file handles have been addressed by a change in shfs.  I still get lock ups at the client when copying from unRAID (which didn't happen in some earlier releases) but I don't know whether the problem lies with the server or the client.  The work around for this is to use udp transport instead of tcp.

Edit:  Actually, for $200,000 up front, I'll be happy to discuss it with you myself!

I'll undercut that by at least $5 or $10 dollars......  We can start negotiations at $199,994.99 and go downward from there...  8)

I'll beat you all ... I'll only charge him the cost of the anti-OCD medications + 15% ... for another 10% I'll get him the anti-CDO medications.  What is CDO? you ask ... it is just like OCD but all the letters are on the correct order!!!

All is good on my N40L system below.

Have noticed a few AFP errors popping up with my Lion macbook. Doesn't have to connect to get the errors.

Jun 13 18:04:20 Tower avahi-daemon[2854]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.10.10.

Jun 13 18:06:47 Tower avahi-daemon[2854]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.10.10.

Jun 13 18:09:26 Tower avahi-daemon[2854]: Invalid response packet from host 192.168.10.10.

I have started my google search, but don't think its a rc4 problem.

Ok, I'm ready to jump in version 5.  I'm currently on 4.7.  Is this upgrade work the same as all others, or are there specific speps to go from 4.7 to 5?

I have done this in the past and was planning to follow this for version 5;

-run Check Parity

-dl the new unraid install package and connect to my Flash drive (from my Win7 pc).

-copied the two main files, bzimage and bzroot to the root of my flash drive

-Restart the Unraid server

Will that getter done?  ;D

Ok, I'm ready to jump in version 5.  I'm currently on 4.7.  Is this upgrade work the same as all others, or are there specific speps to go from 4.7 to 5?

I have done this in the past and was planning to follow this for version 5;

-run Check Parity

-dl the new unraid install package and connect to my Flash drive (from my Win7 pc).

-copied the two main files, bzimage and bzroot to the root of my flash drive

-Restart the Unraid server

Will that getter done?  ;D

no.  There are specific instructions in the release notes.  There are other steps involved this time.

Joe L.