Can I migrate my "SickBeard" & "SABnzbd" from widnows to unRAID?

HiSoC8Y

What he said:

Definately run them in an OS on Esxi if you're running virtualized. Don't bother running any extra apps on unRAID.

I like to keep my unRAID clean.  I only install things like powerdown, monthly parity checks and any others that are directly related to unRAID and keeping it healthy.  The only exception to that for me is unMENU.

you can migrate the settings and databases

i have done it in the past

just need to reconfigure host  name / ip adresses

and be sure to have right permissions

also be sure you are using the same version of the program.. especially for couchpotato

Thanks, I haven't used coachpotato that much, i just tested it, so I'll set it up all over again on the new machine.

SickBeard is important for me, as it's fully configured and working on my existing PC.

I had this exact question but the answers went well over my head. I'm about to start a new build in the next week and have been trying to figure out my options for installing sickbeard/sabnzbd in the eaisiest way. It is running perfectly on a pc right now but part of the reason for building the server is to not have my pc running 24/7.

Can someone help or point me in the right direction about esxi(no idea) and an OS(only experience has been windows)?

Ok, I've been using "SickBeard" & "SABnzbd" for few months, love it, it's easy, and i've configured and all.

Now, i'm almost ready to put my unraid system in production, and want to use SickBeard and sabnzbd on it.  Can I migrate them (database, settings...etc.) to unRAID?

Keep with the Windows version. I opted once to use unRaid for "server" applications but in reality my unRaid box is strictly used for storage of all file types, media, documents, etc...so I didn't want to bog it down with server related applications specially when my unRaid box isn't the most robust machine. My Windows computer is a monster and can run server type applications with a breeze.

Can someone help or point me in the right direction about esxi(no idea) and an OS(only experience has been windows)?

I think you can find everything you need in Johnm's Atlas thread.  That is what I used for my blueprint for ESXi for the most part.  You will obviously have to substitute your MB for his if you are not using the same board.  But if it is compatible with ESXi you can use it in place of the one meantioned in that thread.  Everything else about ESXi setup still applies just those parts about MB specifics will be different.  Johnm did a good job of separating that as well as most of the MB specifics are in one post.  I think you still need to read his MB specific posts because you can get a good idea of how he went about choosing parts and building as well.  I started out with the SuperMicro X9SCM-F he mentioned but have moved on when my needs included tuner cards for a Windows VM and I needed a full ATX board and more PCIe slots.

I'm going to read through a few more times to make sure, but I feel a little like that may be an undertaking outside my current abilities. Maybe you guys can tell me my best route to go here. What I want to have happen:

1. Run Sickbeard and SABnzbd 24/7 with relatively quick unpacking and post processing (fairly comperable to my secondary pc (fx-4100)

2. Operate as Media server for multiple devices running XBMC

3. Run mySQL(haven't read up on this but have seen mention of it being required to sync multiple xbmc locations.)

4. Allow remote monitoring of server(ie if I get a failed drive notification while at work or away I can shut down the array until I return)

Also is it possible to set things up such as if cooling fails the array will shut itself down and notify?

5. Not waste space on how this is set up - I have seen many people saying install plugins on cache drive however it seems a waste to spend $60 on a 500GB drive that won't ever be half way used. I have also seen small SSD drives mentioned, and an extra flah drive mentioned. However the argument I see mention that they arent ment for excessive multiple writes. Thats what lead me to as about ESXi

While I felt fairly comfortable assembling hardware and installing unRAID the waters are getting a little merky now, but I want a clean solution that will operate for the next 5+ years with minimal problems.

I'm going to read through a few more times to make sure, but I feel a little like that may be an undertaking outside my current abilities. Maybe you guys can tell me my best route to go here. What I want to have happen:

1. Run Sickbeard and SABnzbd 24/7 with relatively quick unpacking and post processing (fairly comperable to my secondary pc (fx-4100)

2. Operate as Media server for multiple devices running XBMC

3. Run mySQL(haven't read up on this but have seen mention of it being required to sync multiple xbmc locations.)

4. Allow remote monitoring of server(ie if I get a failed drive notification while at work or away I can shut down the array until I return)

Also is it possible to set things up such as if cooling fails the array will shut itself down and notify?

5. Not waste space on how this is set up - I have seen many people saying install plugins on cache drive however it seems a waste to spend $60 on a 500GB drive that won't ever be half way used. I have also seen small SSD drives mentioned, and an extra flah drive mentioned. However the argument I see mention that they arent ment for excessive multiple writes. Thats what lead me to as about ESXi

While I felt fairly comfortable assembling hardware and installing unRAID the waters are getting a little merky now, but I want a clean solution that will operate for the next 5+ years with minimal problems.

1) That's what I do. Sab and SB are super easy to set up, so I wouldn't worry about having to reconfigure them. The programs look exactly the same when run through Linux (unRAID) and Windows, save for a few Linux specific settings (such as the difference between the slashes and the file permissions on completion). I think I left my Windows versions and just logged into both at the same time to mirror the settings; once complete I uninstalled my Windows copies and never looked back.

2) That's also what I do. I run XBMCLive on two HTPCs, and have hacked my Apple TV to also use XBMC. I have it on my Windows computer also, but that is more or less for troubleshooting. I'm in the process of switching over to NFS from Samba, but quite honestly Samba has worked just fine for me for the past year. I share thumbnails on my server and also the library, which leads me to...

3) I have that set up, also. This took a little more patience and practice when I upgraded to mySQL to 5.5 recently, but there are several really good guides out there. I'm on my iPad, so remind me to post the link I use if you have any problems (the bookmark is on my PC). mySQL 5.1 was honestly pretty easy, but I love to tinker. Had I not upgraded, I would feel confident stating if you can follow directions in order and run a Google search if things don't work, you'd be fine. Having the Windows PC here helped more than any other part, most other things I can do on my phone or tablet. One thing to note - the optimizations that are out there are super simple, referred to in the XBMC wiki, and do make a difference in my opinion.

4) This is the only thing I'm not running now that you are looking for. I believe at least the email notification can be set up, but I'm not sure about auto shutdown. Regarding the email: either unMENU or Simple Features web GUIs lets you do that - maybe both.

5) I run a 500 gb drive for my cache since I use it to store files temporarily on certain shares to increase speed, in addition to the cache drive apps. I'm thinking of adding a smaller SSD for mySQL and XBMC thumbnail storage (until XBMCs next version, Frodo, for thumbs; apparently that does a much better job of handling art... I'll probably leave it for SQL, though, should I ever figure that out). I think I could be 100% safe with a 320 for cache and still do the things I do, I just had this drive laying around and hate to see things go to waste. I would shy away from a flash drive for this purpose based only on what I've heard from others; I have no hard evidence nor anecdotes proving they don't work, but there are lots of people that have good experiences with disk drives and even SSDs.

Hopefully that helps. Forgive any misspellings or auto-corrects, as I mentioned I'm on my iPad and its late and it's been a good day for football (Vikings won!) :).

I use Influencer's plugins for Sickbeard, SabNZBd, and Couch Potato v2. Those can be found here: https://github.com/Influencer/UNplugged

• Install them to your cache drive! You can make a share now that exclusively stays on the cache drive by choosing the option Only in the Use cache disk: drop down
  • I've included a screenshot of this and a screenshot of the install for Sickbeard. The other programs would look the same.

XBMC centralization has been written up really well in this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11473.0

You can get more from the XBMC wiki here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Sync_multiple_libraries/Setting_up_MySQL

• Since you'll be using the mySQL plugin, likely, you can start at Step 5 of this if you'd like.

Speaking of the mySQL plugin, you can get the information here for that: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=20603.0

• I downloaded the newest version of MySQL from the web, placed it on my boot drive and configured the re-edited the .plg file to point to that location
    • Right click on the .plg file and open with Notepad (or better yet, Notepad++)
    • Change the default download link to something like
      <!--install mysql-->
      <FILE Name="/boot/packages/mysql-5.5.27-i486-1gds.txz" Run="upgradepkg --install-new">
      <URL>/boot/packages/mysql-5.5.27-i486-1gds.txz</URL>
      </FILE>
      if that is where you placed the file

[*]You'll also want to add chmod 777 /tmp the end of your "go" file, found in the Config folder of your flash drive.

Hopefully this is helpful for you (and possibly others). I've had this stuff up long enough to feel comfortable using it, and although ESXi is probably super easy, since I don't really feel I have a use for it outside of what I'm able to do with unRAID, and the above meets my own personal needs, I don't think I'll be switching to that any time soon.

Like I said before, though, I love to tinker so who knows what the future holds  ;)

App_Folder_Setup.PNG.a90f79a682836fa882b4604342c6ace4.PNG

Sick_Beard_Setup.PNG.279d828b46a733fad0fde363d59c3b29.PNG

If you can scavenge a small harddrive, a 80 gig would work fine and not have to spend the $60 on the 500 GB. Most PC repair shops will have a few laying around and will sell for next to nothing. If you don't transfer/download a lot each day 80 GB will work fine, if you do, just set every share to not use the cache drive and use it as an "apps" drive.

I used a 80 GB drive for quite a while. Also, you can set the mover script to run hourly, so unless you have one helluva connection, you'll never fill it up. With a 100 Mb internet connection, downloading at full line speed, it would take 2 hours to fill 80 GB, so the mover would have ran twice. Only time you'd fill the drive is transferring locally over a Gigabit connection.

The reason for using a cache drive is because of a "glitch" or "bug" in unRAID caused by the plug-ins. The plug-ins use the events set by unRAID to know when to start(supposedly when the array comes online) but sometimes the events fire before the array actually comes online making the server get stuck in an "array starting" loop. This only happens if the plug-ins are set to use an array disk. Thats why using a cache drive for these plug-ins is recommended.

From my poking around most small drives are IDE, havent found an inexpensive <100GB SATA drive. In another thread I had brought up the possibility of running plugins off a secondary flash drive. Has this been attempted?

Using a flash drive wouldn't be a good idea, apps like sab write A LOT and would kill the flash drive quickly.

Like I said, find a PC repair shop, they usually have them pretty cheap because they aren't very much use anymore.  I used an old 80GB out of a laptop as my cache drive before I switched it out for a larger cache drive. Only reason I switched was because I had a larger drive laying around, decided I'd rather have a smaller HDD not doing anything than a larger one.

If just running apps it would be fine. Would likely be fine even if you used it for an actual "cache drive" too, you just wouldn't see the drastic jump in transfer speeds as you would otherwise.

Refurb vs used, refurb is most likely better. Most refurbs aren't much more than open box.

It'd be less complicated to set it up as a cache; none of your shares need to actually *use* the cache, though. See the screenshots I've included and use that as the basis for your shares.

The "apps" share can reside just on your cache drive and be used basically as storage for any additional applications you wish to use. You can set up other shares just like the "Pictures" share I have.

I've seen people use SNAP for Apps drive as well; I just think that getting this set up for you would be easier today. After you get the hang of this it may become easier to understand/use and be a really viable option.

Good luck.

App_Folder_Setup.PNG.0a0a5051ce93316a930aef2e932e9552.PNG

Cache_Drive_No.PNG.6f59847e63704cefca9c55a72af03092.PNG

Yes you can mount it with snap. Only issue I've seen with this are timing issues  with the array starting therefore the apps start, but snap hasn't yet. You could move the start command for snap that goes in your go file further up and this usually helps. It would have to be tested on your system as every system boots faster/slower than others.

Using the drive as cache is less complicated as it will come online when the array does before the apps run. But requires a plus or pro license

Sounds good, I'll give it a go as cache. I guess my biggest disadvantage is not being able to look at the actual set up yet. Just need to jump in and start working with it. Only thing I'm lacking now is locking down the CPU/Mobo Combo and wether or not I need a UPS from the get go.

Archived