Release Plan for 5.0

limetech

Posted on 28 january:

At least I need to understand the cause of this problem.  To this end, we have set up a test system where I can figure out what's going on.  The plan is to give this a week.  Hopefully I can solve this problem and release a fully-functional 5.0 with any amount of RAM.

Lol guess thats not reachable, one week

Where is it going to?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted on 28 january:

At least I need to understand the cause of this problem.  To this end, we have set up a test system where I can figure out what's going on.  The plan is to give this a week.  Hopefully I can solve this problem and release a fully-functional 5.0 with any amount of RAM.

Lol guess thats not reachable, one week

Where is it going to?

And on January 30 (my time - perhaps Jan 29 for you), Tom posted this:

Using a Supermicro MBD-X9SCL+-F, Core i3 2120T 2.6G, 16GB RAM.  2x Seagate ST3000DM001, 2x WD WDBAAY0030HNC-NRSN (but only writing the Seagates).

I see no slowdown.

Writes to disk share: around 40MB/sec

Writes to user share: around 39MB/sec

Writes to cache disk or non-parity protected array peg the network at around 98MB/sec

I did have to "fix" win7 network throttling per this:

http://www.daveherbert.info/network-bandwidth-throttling-in-windows-7

This is actually the best performance I've ever measured.  Hmm...

I guess that this means Tom is no closer to understanding the problem - hence my post in the 'slowdown' thread, canvassing support and suggestions for systematically capturing info about this from as many users as possible.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me where we are with Release 5 final? I believe the last post from LimeTech indicated he was investigating slow write speeds where more than 4GB of RAM was installed. We're there any other important issues preventing this from going final?

I believe that best that anyone other than Tom can say is that "it's looking promising."

I would like to think that finalizing Rel 5  was a priority over new projects like 64bit Unraid. However based on Tom's original post in this thread I am wandering if one of the things delaying R5 final is that he plans to introduce Cache pooling as part of the current 32bit release. My preference, for what its worth, would be for Cache pooling to be introduced as part of the 64Bit series. I think it's fantastic to see these developments on the roadmap, but right now I am keen to see R5 finalized.

Not sure what everyones reluctance is. Microsoft has been releasing RC if not beta quality operating systems for years for the exception of perhaps XP and 7.

unRAID 5.0 rc 11 is stable.

Kryspy

They release a product which is their best effort at attempting a finalized product. At the moment we have not had this for version 5. We have only had BETA and RC builds. If RC11 is final, it would have been called this already. The naming of the final RC to final is a big step as it is a statement from Tom that he is happy and convinced that with all the testing on it, it is ready to be named so and there are no known bugs with the version.