Release Plan for 5.0

limetech

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well the simplefeatures trick for the processor info works on my newer server with a Intel® Pentium® CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz - 2.833 GHz

but not on my Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz procesor in the older server :P

although this processor is 64 bit capable

so i guess simple features will need to update that thingie to include older processors if you want to make this stock ....

Is it possible the CPU is 64 bit capable, but the motherboard support chipset is not?

No they were deleted because they violated the Announcement Board Rules.

LOL, Seriously? If you want to stick to the letter of those rules then that means every post in this thread is violating those rules, including your initial post.

If you want to stick to the off-topic part then how is posting that RC12 will be required to test the fix to the slow write issue off topic? How is posting that I believe the finding of the swap-disable bug in RC10 in indicative of it being too soon to simply consider RC11 as release material without further testing off topic? I didn't comment before but there has already been a post about a bug fix being done in RC11a in the RC11 thread.

No they were deleted because they violated the Announcement Board Rules.

LOL, Seriously? If you want to stick to the letter of those rules then that means every post in this thread is violating those rules, including your initial post.

If you want to stick to the off-topic part then how is posting that RC12 will be required to test the fix to the slow write issue off topic? How is posting that I believe the finding of the swap-disable bug in RC10 in indicative of it being too soon to simply consider RC11 as release material without further testing off topic? I didn't comment before but there has already been a post about a bug fix being done in RC11a in the RC11 thread.

It was deleted because one member called another member (not me) an asshole.  So I deleted that post and the few posts that led up to it just like how in a few hours I'm going to delete this post and the posts asking about why I deleted the posts.

So I deleted that post and the few posts that led up to it just like how in a few hours I'm going to delete this post and the posts asking about why I deleted the posts.

I don't know if I was supposed to laugh out loud at this line, but I did.

I say keep up the nuking, if the comments weren't contributing to the discussion of the release schedule and goals.

So I deleted that post and the few posts that led up to it just like how in a few hours I'm going to delete this post and the posts asking about why I deleted the posts.

I don't know if I was supposed to laugh out loud at this line, but I did.

I say keep up the nuking, if the comments weren't contributing to the discussion of the release schedule and goals.

yo dog - i heard you don't like deleted posts. so i deleted the posts about deleting posts.  sorry - your post made me think of that guy.

well the simplefeatures trick for the processor info works on my newer server with a Intel® Pentium® CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz - 2.833 GHz

but not on my Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz procesor in the older server :P

so i guess simple features will need to update that thingie to include older processors if you want to make this stock ....

try this will you on the older CPU

grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo

In theory if it is 64bit capable you will see "lm" in red

Thx for the hard work.

Can't wait for the 64bit version  and upgraded netatalk :)

Would also like if possible a easier way to delete shares that has been shared with Macs?

I don't do it a lot, but when I do I have to telnet in to delete the hidden crap that AFP and Macs put on the share, before I can delete the share.

rm -rf /mnt/disk1/"Folder name"

This seems to be the only way I can do it.

Thx for the hard work.

Would also like if possible a easier way to delete shares that has been shared with Macs?

I don't do it a lot, but when I do I have to telnet in to delete the hidden crap that AFP and Macs put on the share, before I can delete the share.

Enter "defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true" in the terminal on any Macs you have and none of that stuff will get written to network shares any more.

EDIT: This apparently only works for the .DS_Store files, not the .AppleDouble folders. Sorry.

Thx for the hard work.

Enter "defaults write com.apple.desktopservices DSDontWriteNetworkStores true" in the terminal on any Macs you have and none of that stuff will get written to network shares any more.

EDIT: This apparently only works for the .DS_Store files, not the .AppleDouble folders. Sorry.

I have that set :)

You can still get .DS_Store files on the server with this on. If you copy a folder over, the .DS_Store file in that folder will get copied over as well. If you create a folder on the server, a DS_Store file will not be created.

A program call BlueHarvest help this out a bit.

try this will you on the older CPU

grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo

In theory if it is 64bit capable you will see "lm" in red

got twice LM in red

root@p5bplus:~# grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo

flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority

Just curious Tom, but with all the talk of v5.0 Final and a 64bit version to follow, where does the Plugin Manager fit in?  It was my impression (and my memory may be very wrong) that you had been working on it (and other things?) for a v5.1 beta, while waiting for kernel fixes for v5.0?  No need to answer if you aren't ready to reveal anything.

(Now I'll slip back into the pool...)

OK here is a better command that shoulod in theory reliably tell you if your CPU is 64bit capable

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -Gq "flags.* lm " && echo '64bit' || echo '32bit'

So for my system

root@SERVER:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -Gq "flags.* lm " && echo '64bit' || echo '32bit'
64bit

because this acts on PROC it should be kernel agnostic

Another method to determine 32/64-bit CPU:

lscpu | grep "op-mode"

Results:

root@Tower:~#lscpu | grep "op-mode"
CPU op-mode(s):       64-bit

Unraid 5.0-rc10 - Asus M5A78L-MLX Plus (RT8111E) - AMD Athlon II X3 450 Rana 3.2GHz - 8GB DDR3 - Antec NEO ECO 620W - Antec Three Hundred Case - 1x Rosewill RC-211 (cache) - Parity: 1T Seagate ST1000DM005/HD103SJ - DATA: 3x WD Black 750G - 1x 1T Seagate ST1000DM003 - 1x 500G Seagate ST500DM002, Cache: Intel X25-V SSD 40GB w/8GB swap partition

lscpu | grep "op-mode"

Results:

Sorry, but that command does not exist on earlier versions of unRAID

root@Tower3:~# lscpu | grep "op-mode"

-bash: lscpu: command not found

root@Tower3:~#

lscpu | grep "op-mode"

Results:

Sorry, but that command does not exist on earlier versions of unRAID

root@Tower3:~# lscpu | grep "op-mode"

-bash: lscpu: command not found

root@Tower3:~#

Upgrade  ;D

I just wanted to point out that it would be wrong at this point in time to expect RC11 to be the 5.0 final release and that another release will be necessary if any further work is done to fix the slow write issue.

RC10 was released on the 11th. The release poll was 80% in favor of releasing RC10 and 5.0 final with that thread starting on the 12th. the first posting about that swap-disable being broken in RC10, was on the 20th, 9 days after RC10 was released. Based on this, I'd say it way too early to consider the positive results with RC11 as proof it should be released as 5.0 final. Besides, it sounds like you did a bunch of changes on RC11 by your write-up on how duplicate object reporting completely changed. I don't consider a bunch of new coding just for the sake of changing something a good plan when the idea is to working towards a quality final release.

I know you're really want 5.0 to be released Tom and I applaud your efforts to date. But, I don't want to see you rush things at the 11th hour and end up with a release with major bugs in it. It would not have inspired much confidence if you had switched RC10 to be 5.0 and then had to announce a 5.1 bug fix days later.