Release Plan for 5.0

limetech

I recognise that URL just form looking at it.

Its amazing how inaccurate some of the ways posted are. For me this is likely the most user friendly (from that link) short of emHTTP displaying it

grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo

flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm

I would like if possible emHTTP to inform all users in a non shell way so we can start getting a real feel for it

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read that article and the subsequent comments, Btrfs plus its scrub tool sounds exactly what we have been wanting.  Sounds like built-in par2-like capabilities, with background checking.  Can you add it as a file system alternative option to ReiserFS any time soon?  Now if you could also support the Btrfs snapshotting...

There are issues in using it for a pool of array disks because you have no control over which disk(s) objects will be created on and span.  Lots of possibilities though.

Windows Server 2013 is now 64bit only... some times you just need to move on.

Where you may see obsolescence, others see stability.  One of UnRAID's main selling points, is that it ISN'T a hardware-hog.  In any case, I don't base my upgrade desires on Microsoft's example.  We're serving files here, not rendering 4Gb CAD files, and in many cases, we're serving files from nice, slow GREEN drives.  I'd much rather have a server that takes two extra seconds to begin serving my HD movie and WOULDN'T catch fire if every fan seized up.

So the answer is to not move forward because some people want to keep using their old systems forever? Nothing will stop you from continuing to use the last 32-bit version. But we can't let those people hold back every one else. Development on the 32-bit kernel is quickly decreasing and sooner rather than later we'll all be left behind if we have to stay with the 32-bit kernel.

Just read that article and the subsequent comments, Btrfs plus its scrub tool sounds exactly what we have been wanting.  Sounds like built-in par2-like capabilities, with background checking.  Can you add it as a file system alternative option to ReiserFS any time soon?  Now if you could also support the Btrfs snapshotting...

There are issues in using it for a pool of array disks because you have no control over which disk(s) objects will be created on and span.  Lots of possibilities though.

If the server is allowed to start with no array disks assigned then users can choose assign all disks to the cache pool and have a btrfs system.

If the server is allowed to start with no array disks assigned then users can choose assign all disks to the cache pool and have a btrfs system.

Yup.

32-bit folks will just have to stay at 4.7.... or possibly 5.0.  I certainly feel their pain, and I have stayed with some very old software because of a "upgrade" breaks something need.  (Like Visio, and the ability to do property lines by metes and bounds was lost over a decade ago... I'm still using a version prior to 2000)

For the low-power users, you can undervolt/underclock many 64-bit systems and achieve very low power draws.

Fantastic news

Tom: Thanks for hard work!!

1) Why don't you consider moving unraid into CentOS? It make life easier to install any application I want using YUM command instead installing from unraid plugins..

2) What are the benefit of using 64-bit systems over 32-bit systems on unRaid? Increase performance?

I did a test boot into 5rc10 last week to try out a new (old) controller card, and I really liked what I saw!

Is there, or will there be an upgrade guide for those of us who are technical, but new to unRAID? It would be nice to include the migration path from unMENU to plugins.

Looking forward to 5.0 final and the exciting things on the horizon.

Fantastic news

Tom: Thanks for hard work!!

1) Why don't you consider moving unraid into CentOS? It make life easier to install any application I want using YUM command instead installing from unraid plugins..

2) What are the benefit of using 64-bit systems over 32-bit systems on unRaid? Increase performance?

Why not go to debian and use apt-get?

I recognise that URL just form looking at it.

Its amazing how inaccurate some of the ways posted are. For me this is likely the most user friendly (from that link) short of emHTTP displaying it

grep --color=always -iw lm /proc/cpuinfo

flags          : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc up arch_perfmon pebs bts aperfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm

I would like if possible emHTTP to inform all users in a non shell way so we can start getting a real feel for it

It does on mine, not sure if it does on other peoples systems, but thought I'd throw it out there.

On the unRAID GUI, under Utils > System profiler, if I choose "Processor Information" at the bottom I get "Characteristics: 64-bit capable"

EDIT: You will only see this if you have SimpleFeatures installed. It is not part of the stock unraid GUI. Thanks Joe L for pointing this out!

I did a test boot into 5rc10 last week to try out a new (old) controller card, and I really liked what I saw!

Is there, or will there be an upgrade guide for those of us who are technical, but new to unRAID? It would be nice to include the migration path from unMENU to plugins.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Migrating_from_unRAID_4.7_to_unRAID_5.0

You can upgrade now. No need to wait for final.

It does on mine, not sure if it does on other peoples systems, but thought I'd throw it out there.

On the unRAID GUI, under Utils > System profiler, if I choose "Processor Information" at the bottom I get "Characteristics: 64-bit capable"

Me too.

Unfortunately my mobo only supports 4GB, but I am looking forward to 64-bit unRAID and will gladly upgrade my hardware when its available.

Pooling may be cool, but frankly, give me an out and a way to control or use another filesystem.

My saving grace for recovery since the flood, was the control and insistence on putting certain things on certain drives arranged in a particular order.  Out of 20 drives I lost 5, but I only lost DVD rips on the lowest 5 drives.  I'm a real world testimony as to how unRAID makes it easier to recover vs a data set that is stripped or out of a users control..

The only downside for me was that I had to build an unRAID system to access critical backup files off one of the top drives.

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Migrating_from_unRAID_4.7_to_unRAID_5.0

You can upgrade now. No need to wait for final.

Thanks for the link, mrow. I'm off to do some reading. Just started a pre-clear on a new 2TB, so I won't be doing any upgrading tonight, though...

hmmm... mrow... do you do a TV show on Discovery Channel. Something about people who get dirty at their jobs?  Don't worry, you're safe here with us!  ;)

Pooling may be cool, but frankly, give me an out and a way to control or use another filesystem.

My saving grace for recovery since the flood, was the control and insistence on putting certain things on certain drives arranged in a particular order.  Out of 20 drives I lost 5, but I only lost DVD rips on the lowest 5 drives.  I'm a real world testimony as to how unRAID makes it easier to recover vs a data set that is stripped or out of a users control..

The only downside for me was that I had to build an unRAID system to access critical backup files off one of the top drives.

Why did you need to do this ?  I understood there are 3rd party drivers that will make the drives readable in windows..

well the simplefeatures trick for the processor info works on my newer server with a Intel® Pentium® CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz - 2.833 GHz

but not on my Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E6550 @ 2.33GHz procesor in the older server :P

although this processor is 64 bit capable

so i guess simple features will need to update that thingie to include older processors if you want to make this stock ....

In addition, there is a very cool feature that will probably be released prior to a 64-bit kernel called "cache pool".  This feature allows you to assign multiple hard drives to the "cache" using the btrfs file system.  Among other things, this will provide fault tolerance for cache-only shares and for files not yet moved to the array.  This will also provide a great way to utilize SSD's in an unRaid server since btrfs has SSD-aware features.

Hmm, to be honest I don't know about this one. Sure Suse now says btfs is safe...but they are really the only distro to do so. I've done a lot of research on this since I was planning on building a btfs machine with a pool of 5 drives for a backup of my unraid. My conclusion was that it just hasn't been tested enough yet to warrant its use with precious data. Btfs is likely much more safe if you use a very bleeding edge kernel, however I would like to see 2+ years of testing of it in production systems before I seriously use it. Hopefully its an option to just use ext4 in an upcoming unraid for the cache drive...I guess it would be. That would be what I would prefer.