What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

This is exactly what I did.

Deleted everything except config (I have also some unrelated files on root folder and a customized KNOWN to be working for me syslinux.cfg). Dropped a plain 4.3.3 over it. Booted fine. Started parity rebuild and stopped it to do it later. Shut down through web interface. Took off stick. Dropped 0.0.7 on it and enable_bubba on it. Noticed you in fact DO NOT really copy the real .original files on bubba (but luckily this time had my own backup). Inserted stick on unRAID machine and tried to boot it.

Veeeeeery long boot with many repeats during the scan of some of my drives (some failures and retries in slower IDE bus modes). When it finally reached the login prompt, I tried to contact my unRAID through web, telnet and finally ping and it fails.

Rebooting to normal unRAID through bubba boot menu works ok (but didn't keep it that way either as I wanted my own customizations reused).

I'll do it again tonight.

In the meantime can you tell me what to do to save you all this boot blah blah for off-line reading? (ie. send it to you :P)

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ass deep in alligators now ... may have  time to work on it next week.

Sorry to pull this off-topic for a sec.. but alligators?  I'm assuming that's slang.  I'm not familiar with it... do you mind explaining it to me (curiosity got the better of me).

I believe the original derivation was from the older phrase about being 'swamped' with work.  From that grew various forms about being deep in the swamp, and from that ...

Easier to understand by those of us with large swamps, full of gators.

[it could also define the Sooners on Thursday evening, before becoming a Gator snack!]

I'm ass deep in alligators now ... may have  time to work on it next week.

Sorry to pull this off-topic for a sec.. but alligators?  I'm assuming that's slang.  I'm not familiar with it... do you mind explaining it to me (curiosity got the better of me).

Cheers,

Matt

See here: http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Talk:when_you%27re_up_to_your_neck_in_alligators,_it%27s_easy_to_forget_that_the_initial_objective_was_to_drain_the_swamp

It is phrase with many variations.

Joe L.

No, simply using the new emhttp will not fix it.  There are a number of other changes, including to samba configs.

Building a new Bubba based on a new unRAID is a complex process.  I am hesitate to start it with the "stable" version of unRAID not yet settled down.  I need to wait till 4.4.x is completely stable.

I have BubbaRaid partially working with 4.4.2 now (the web portal, and editing the config files in the web portal).  There are a number of changes that I had to make, so it is not something you are going to get working in the field with the prior version.

Once I get torrents and NZBGet working, I'll post it... give me a couple of days.

I'm not sure why Tom changed the umask for mounting the flash in fstab to 077 as that makes them unreadable except by root.... but that was what was preventing access to the flash files.  It is probably due to the implementation of user-level security for the flash share.

I want to say publicly my "thank you" to Bubba for his BubbaRAID, because he really changed the way I use my (also exceptional BUT VERY SLOWLY EVOLVING*) unRAID system.

I am using only his torrent service right now and it made a HUGE difference to me:

- I don't need to keep another PC on at all times, that was seeding my (unRAID based anyway) torrents. We are talking about a machine that takes more than 5 minutes to boot or shutdown (Win 2008 Server if you need to know - don't ask why).

- I use much less energy which not only affects my bill, but also my operating of my OTHER computer which is on the same 1.5KVA UPS, which is my "gaming" rig and because of its recent upgrade to SLI (when you can buy a second 8800GTX for <100 euro, you don't say no), its 1KW PSU really kills my UPS when all three machines are on. So now my Server does not need to be on.

- Gave a proper excuse to keep my unRAID on at all times. Because really, when all my other three machines are off, why should unRAID be on? (but it was) Now there is a reason.

I also have plans for his web server. ;)

I'd love to see a way to stream media off my unRAID (something better than squizbox, able to stream all kinds of media?), a way to use FTP in a functional way (login and be able to put and get in my unRAID shares) and I would be in unRAID heaven.

Both those things I need because SMB mapping and "copying" through the maps over slow connections is torture.

FTP and streaming are MADE for such situations.

---

* Read: More slowly than most other single-developer projects I've seen (and not even commercial). Esp. when the developer declares it is his full time job now. And yes I am known to be harsh... but just.

An unannounced treat... run acpitool -c and see if the ondemand governor is working for you.  I added that to BubbaRaid some time ago, and forgot to mention it.... so BubbaRaid will implement dynamic CPU speed/voltage adjustments (Intel Speedstep and AMD Power-Now) so an idle system runs cooler and with less power.

ooooh will check this out

edit:

I suppose the following shows I am unlucky with that feature?

CPU type               : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
  CPU speed              : 3198.443 MHz
  Cache size             : 512 KB
  Bogomips               : 6396.88
  Bogomips               : 6396.99

# of CPU's found       : 2

Processor ID           : 0
  Bus mastering control  : no
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Limit interface        : no
  Active C-state         : C0
  C-states (incl. C0)    : 1

Processor ID           : 1
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Active C-state         : C0

ooooh will check this out

edit:

I suppose the following shows I am unlucky with that feature?

CPU type               : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
  CPU speed              : 3198.443 MHz
  Cache size             : 512 KB
  Bogomips               : 6396.88
  Bogomips               : 6396.99

# of CPU's found       : 2

Processor ID           : 0
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Active C-state         : C0

Processor ID           : 1
  Power management       : no
  Throttling control     : no
  Active C-state         : C0

Does that CPU actually support speed stepping? I have a similar P4, which unfortunately Intel didn't give the ability to speedstep.
Does that CPU actually support speed stepping? I have a similar P4, which unfortunately Intel didn't give the ability to speedstep.

That doesn't make sense.  All Pentiums have speed/throttling adjustment.  That's how they use thermal protection.  What exact CPU are you talking about?

Now some don't use the old "speedstep" driver and instead use "p4_clockmod"

I don't mean to be disrespectful - bubbaRAID seems like a great product - but since it wouldn't have parity/redundancy without unRAID, wouldn't a more appropriate name for it be unRAID-bubba or unRAID-bubbaQ?

There could even be a naming convention for user-created unRAID mods where:

- "unRAID-" is a mandatory prefix

- name of the mod comes after the dash

- no version numbering in the name

and when announcing a release of a new mod, you would also add version numbering like:

"unRAID-bubbaQ-4.4.2-1.0 released"

where 4.4.2 is the unRAID version it is based on and 1.0 is the version of the mod.

Just a thought...

That doesn't make sense.  All Pentiums have speed/throttling adjustment.  That's how they use thermal protection.  What exact CPU are you talking about?

Now some don't use the old "speedstep" driver and instead use "p4_clockmod"

I don't know about in linux, all I know is my P4 in windows will not throttle. It runs at full clock all the time. Checking with a tool like cpu-z showed no speed stepping enabled on the CPU.