What do you want in a custom unRAID package (BubbaRaid)

I checked the whitelist for version "suspend-0.8". My current RAID setup (Shuttle XPC SB61G2) is not in the list. When bubbaRAID for 4.4 drops, I guess I just need to try and see what happens. If it doesn't work, then I need figure out how to do what that website says. I guess the time to learn some linux is at hand.

You won't really need to learn that much about linux. However I strongly urge you to be careful and experiment with test system. Using s2ram with the various switches can cause problems. It might not wake up correctly at a minimum. I hosed my USB stick using a possible config (had to re-run syslinux). I don't know what else is in store for me as I try to get this working. The server I'm playing with is not production yet, so I don't care what happens. Make sure you won't care either!

Paul

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You won't really need to learn that much about linux. However I strongly urge you to be careful and experiment with test system. Using s2ram with the various switches can cause problems. It might not wake up correctly at a minimum. I hosed my USB stick using a possible config (had to re-run syslinux). I don't know what else is in store for me as I try to get this working. The server I'm playing with is not production yet, so I don't care what happens. Make sure you won't care either!

Paul

Unfortunatey I only have the one system. I guess I can get a different USB stick and experiment with that stick. I doubt any of the tweaking for s2RAM will hose my data, but I'm going to do more reading first to make sure.

Back to the original intent of this thread...

I would like to see lpd in this build. If I understand correctly this is not fully on printing support (cups, etc) but just spooling. My Buffalo Terastation (which I'm desperate to retire) offers this so that it is a basic USB print server. If I can't do lpd, then I have to keep some other machine online or just buy a standalone USB print server.

Paul

I'm trying to install bubbaraid on my unraid server. I've extracted the files from the download packeage to the flash, then when I double click on enable_bubba.bat, I get a dos box that says:

'\\TOWER\flash'

CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.

UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.

* FAILURE - BubaRaid not be enabled.    *

* It does not appear that the          *

* BubbaRaid Zip file was properly      *

* extracted to the flash because        *

* there is no \bubba directory on the  *

* flash.                                *

* ReExtract the BubbaRaid ZIP file      *

* and try again.                        *

Press any key to continue . . .

I don't know what to do. I've re-extracted the files to the flash a number of times, I've reformatted, re-installed unradi, then extracted the files to the flash again (while unraid is running and the flash drive is in the server) and I still get the same error message. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fran

Is SSH included in Bubba?

Is bubba compiled for the 4.4 or 4.5 beta?

I am running 4.5Beta right now.

The only things I need are nzb, ssh, vmware potentially (I might go the other route host unraid inside vmware).

Now if Unraid had a media centre server built in, wow! Imagine if you could hookup up unraid to xbox 360 for movies.

BubbaQ,

thanks for your quick reply. I actually figured that out about five minutes after I posted. I'm still not up and running with BubbaRaid. Actually, bubbaraid seems to run fine, its unraid that I can't get going, at least not at the same time as bubbaraid. When I go to network places and look under tower, all I see is the flash, no hard drive, and I can't get to the unraid management page. When I boot unraid at the boot-up screen instead of bubbaraid, unraid loads and runs just fine. I'm still working through the issues. will report back later today with more details when I get a chance to experiment some more. In the mean time, anything that pops up in your mind that might help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Fran

Yes, I am. I'm in the process of trying again. this time I've wiped my usb stick, reinstalled unraid 4.3.3 and got the system up and running again. Now I'm re-installing bubbaraid to the flash, hoping that starting completely from scratch will clear out whatever gremlins have been giving me these headaches. Will report back later this afternoon.

Thanks,

Fran

Any chance of Hamachi making it into this build?

Nope.  And here's why:  This is an upgrade to work with unRAID 4.4.  For troubleshooting purposes, there will be *no* added features or functionality in this upgrade.  It is important to minimize the number of changes (variables), so as to make sure the conversion to unRAID 4.4 is working properly.

After BubbaRaid for unRAID 4.4 is solid, then I will work on adding new features and applications.

OK... for the people who want to play with sharp knives.....

http://www.tcpatools.com/bubba/bubbaraid-0.0.8-Alpha-Upgrade.zip

This is an UPGRADE to an EXISTING install of BubbRaid. 

1. Upgrade your existing flash that has BubbaRaid 0.0.7-Beta on it to unRAID 4.4

2. Unzip this file to your flash. 

If you have NOT installed BubbaRaid 0.0.7-Beta on your flash, you will have to wait until I get a full install package done.

Let me repeat, since someone will miss it.  This download is NOT a complete installation of BubbaRaid.  It can ONLY be used to UPGRADE a flash that you have ALREADY installed BubbaRaid 0.0.7-Beta on..... AND you must upgrade unRAID to Cersion 4.4 on that flash FIRST.

sorry i'm late to this game, but very interesting!

so are all these apps/functions already installed on bubba raid or is each one up to the user to install/download from the bubbaraid menu?

As in, i read for slimserver it downloads and then unpacks/installs it on your server, is this the case for all the available apps/functions etc?

Thanks

An update on my travails with BubbaRaid-

I finally got to the point where I can get both BubbaRaid and unraid running, but when running unraid under bubbaraid, I get the "too many wrong and/or missing disks!" warning. On the main page for each of the three disks in my array it says Missing in italics, and on the line below lists the serial number of the drive that should be in that position. When I go to the devices page, in the slot for each device it says "ata-ST3706..." listing the rest of the drive's serial number. When I click on the down arrow to show the devices available for that slot, it lists my three drives, but calls them "pci-0000:00:1f.1-scsi-0:0:0:(sda)ata-ST3706..." If I selsect the proper drives into their proper positions and go back to main page it still says "invalid configuration" and won't let me start the array.

When I shut down and reboot back to unraid at the boot options menu, when unraid boots I get the "Too many wrong and or missing disks!" warning. But this time when I go to the devices page, the drop down menu lists my disks, but calls them "pci-0000:00:1f.1-ide-0:0:0:0(hda)ata-ST3706..." Here "ide" has replaced "scsi" and "hda" has replaced "sda" in the string. When I select the proper disk into the proper position and go back to the main page it tells me "configuration valid" and allows me to start the array. Everything works properly, as far as I can see.

So there you have it. I don't know what this all means, but maybe it will mean something to those of you more versed in the vagaries of operating systems, hardware, and general tinkering around with these things.

The mobo for this rig is and ASUS p5pe-vm and the hard drives are seagate 750 gig pata drives (ST3750640A). I f there is any other information that can help diagnose this problem I would be happy to try to supply it.

Thanks again,

Fran

Unfortunately, swapping back and forth from BubaRaid to unRAID will produce this result on some motherboards.  You have to reassign your disks when you swap from one to the other.

BubbaRaid is not intended to be something you swap back and forth with.  The swap capability is intended to let you try it out, and go back in an emergency, or if you decide you don't want to run BubbaRaid.  If you have BubbaRaid working, either decide to keep it or reject it... don't swap back and forth.

the reason I'm swapping back and forth is that I can't get unraid to run properly under bubbaraid. I swap to be sure unraid itself is still working properly. trust me, Once I have the thing up and running properly I don't touch it for months at a time. The problem is I can't get unraid running properly at the same time as bubbaraid.  even when I reassign my disks, unraid still tells me that the configuration is not valid. The only option I may have to get unraid up and running properly under bubbaraid would be to do a restore, but I am reluctant to do this with unraid under bubbaraid apparently mis-identifying my drives as scsi drives. the last thing I want is to hose the data on my data drives. Perhaps I'm not understanding what is going one here (perhaps I should drop the modifier perhaps - I don't know what is going on here,) but it seems strange to me that the drives would be identified one way when I boot straight into unraid, and another way when I boot using bubbaraid. Does this make sense to you? Am I over-reacting? Should I just drop this and give up my dream of having one box that runs both unraid and slimserver?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Fran