Anybody in the Houston TX area want to make a few bucks? SOLVED

You have your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd boot devices set to a USB floppy.

Set the 1st boot device to the hard drive.    Then press Enter at the "Hard Disk Boot Priority" (the highlighted line in the picture you posted) and select your USB flash drive as the first "hard drive".    The flash drive should be listed in that list, as it's a "storage class" device.

I suspect this has been your issue all alone  :)

NOW you need to put the flash drive on a PC, format it (FAT32), and then run the Make_Bootable batch file from a command prompt within Windows ... remember to specific the proper drive letter when running it [e.g. if the flash drive is drive G:, you type "Make_Bootable G:" at the command prompt.

So, for example, if you extract all the UnRAID files to a folder called C:\UnRAID, and the flash drive is G:, you do the following:

Start - Run

CMD

.... then from within the window that opens ..

CD \C:

CD UnRAID

Make_Bootable G:

Now put the flash drive back on the UnRAID box and boot directly to the BIOS.    Check that the settings are as I noted above (they likely changed when a boot attempt resulted in an unbootable device -- so change them back).    THEN reboot and it should boot to UnRAID.

NOW you need to put the flash drive on a PC, format it (FAT32), and then run the Make_Bootable batch file from a command prompt within Windows ... remember to specific the proper drive letter when running it [e.g. if the flash drive is drive G:, you type "Make_Bootable G:" at the command prompt.

So, for example, if you extract all the UnRAID files to a folder called C:\UnRAID, and the flash drive is G:, you do the following:

Start - Run

CMD

CD \C:

CD UnRAID

Make_Bootable G:

Now put the flash drive back on the UnRAID box and boot directly to the BIOS.    Check that the settings are as I noted above (they likely changed when a boot attempt resulted in an unbootable device -- so change them back).    THEN reboot and it should boot to UnRAID.

im not sure this is right ???

i didnt think that make_bootable g: will work as i see no line arguments in the batch file.  id worry that this will format C for linux boot!

open the flash drive in windows, right click make_bootable and click Run As Adminsitrator.

Start - Run

CMD

CD \C:

CD UnRAID

Make_Bootable G:

im not sure this is right ???

i didnt think that make_bootable g: will work as i see no line arguments in the batch file.  id worry that this will format C for linux boot!

open the flash drive in windows, right click make_bootable and click Run As Adminsitrator.

I don't have make_bootable open right now, but, I seem to remember it selects the device with the label "UNRAID".

Oh, I forgot to mention, OP, label your drive "UNRAID".

My bad -- I'd forgotten that MakeBootable automatically finds the UNRAID device.

You DO have to make the label "UNRAID" when you format the flash drive ... then just run MakeBootable -- either from a command prompt or from within Windows, since it doesn't need any arguments.

But once you have it done correctly, the issue is that your system wasn't set to boot from it -- so you'll need to boot directly to the BIOS and confirm that it's set to boot from the hard drive first; and that the hard drive order has the flash drive first [same as I noted earlier;  but the BIOS probably changed the order when the selected device wasn't bootable, so you need to check it again].

kciaccio ==>  As near as I can tell in this and the other related question, you've never answered My Kroft's question r.e. what happens if you simply type "attrib" from a command prompt.

In addition to answering that, show the results if (again from a command prompt) you type "path".

It appears that you may have somehow either altered the path;  or that somehow attrib.exe has been deleted from your Windows/System32 folder.

The other possibility is that you are not formatting the USB flash drive correctly => you MUST format it with FAT32 and with a label of "UNRAID".

One other note:  Your comment "... Let me make sure i am making it bootable properly...the file copied on the flash drive called "make_bootable.bat" I just right cick on it and runs as administrator right? " ==> NO !!!

You do NOT copy Make_Bootable.bat to the flash drive.    You plug the flash drive into your Windows machine;  format it in FAT32 with a label of UNRAID;  and then right-click on Make_Bootable.bat and "Run as Administrator" from the WINDOWS folder where you've extracted the UnRAID files.

Anybody want to get my server back on line I will pay you.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26181.0

Dude, I feel your pain.  I've on many occasions wanted to search out someone to 'just do it for me!'  I figured unRaid is so under the radar we don't have a chance to find someone here in Houston.  I've had unRaid for about three years, now running flawlessly for the most part.  I'm on 4.7 and the move to 5.0 and finding a way to stream my iso's  to my android tablet is too daunting to want to make the first step.  I figure I'll wait a couple more years when it's time to upgrade my unRaid to bigger, better, faster less power and heat!

Good luck.  Just wanted to give you some encouragement.  You'll get there!

kciaccio ==>  As near as I can tell in this and the other related question, you've never answered My Kroft's question r.e. what happens if you simply type "attrib" from a command prompt.

In addition to answering that, show the results if (again from a command prompt) you type "path".

It appears that you may have somehow either altered the path;  or that somehow attrib.exe has been deleted from your Windows/System32 folder.

The other possibility is that you are not formatting the USB flash drive correctly => you MUST format it with FAT32 and with a label of "UNRAID".

One other note:  Your comment "... Let me make sure i am making it bootable properly...the file copied on the flash drive called "make_bootable.bat" I just right cick on it and runs as administrator right? " ==> NO !!!

You do NOT copy Make_Bootable.bat to the flash drive.    You plug the flash drive into your Windows machine;  format it in FAT32 with a label of UNRAID;  and then right-click on Make_Bootable.bat and "Run as Administrator" from the WINDOWS folder where you've extracted the UnRAID files.

Make_Bootable.bat is part of the installation. It is copied to the flash drive when the contents of the zip file are copied to the flash as described in the installation instructions. It can be run directly from the flash by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator".

Make_Bootable.bat is part of the installation. It is copied to the flash drive when the contents of the zip file are copied to the flash as described in the installation instructions. It can be run directly from the flash by right clicking and selecting "Run as Administrator".

That is what I am doing. transferring contents of the zip file to flash drive the right clicking running as administrator on the make-bootable.bat file...a dos window flys up and disappears in under a second.

kciaccio ==>One other note:  Your comment "... Let me make sure i am making it bootable properly...the file copied on the flash drive called "make_bootable.bat" I just right cick on it and runs as administrator right? " ==> NO !!!

Not entirely true, you can run the .bat file off of a extracted folder in windows or off the flash drive itself.  I have all the files on mine and if/when (did it once) I do something to it to make it not boot - i just pop it into a windows machine and run the .bat file off the flash drive as admin and it fixes the boot of the flash drive right up - this way i don't have to hunt down the archive or the files i extracted....

Myk

That is what I am doing. transferring contents of the zip file to flash drive the right clicking running as administrator on the make-bootable.bat file...a dos window flys up and disappears in under a second.

Going to ask one more time before I give up on you - what happens when you open a command windows and type "attrib"?  do you get command not found or something similar - this is the 3rd time I have asked......

Myk

Right-clicking and selecting run as administrator is going to produce the same result as running it from an administrator command prompt window. If ATTRIB doesn't work in a command window it will also not work with right-click. They are just 2 different ways of doing the same thing.

The reason the dos window "flys up and disappears in under a second" is because it doesn't take long to fail in the same way as before.

Please, Please go to a DOS window and type PATH and post the result like many have asked you before.

Just as suspected, system32 is not in the PATH.

From the Administrator cmd type

setx PATH "C:\Windows\system32;%path%;"

Then close the cmd window.

This should fix your attrib command and then you should be able to right-click make_bootable.bat and Run as administrator.