5050 LED tape/strip connectors thread - now all about LEDs thread

NAS

I know this is OT but I reckon I have saved up enough Karma to get away with it. I am at my wits end.

Long story short I have a need for a roll of 5050 mono LED strip. That easy. Powering it ... also easy.

What I just dont get is why 5050 mono (i.e. not RGB) LED strip is 12mm wide and all the advert for the clip type connectors are either 8mm or 10mm wide:

21JvcLbm05L.jpg

Anyone worked with this stuff and can shed some light

Well at least we know they exist... ta !

I am amazed really. ebay globally is jammed packed with cheap 5050 strips and the correct fittings are as rare as hens teeth. I managed to use this web site to find a couple more but like this one they are all China fronts which dont excite me for obvious reasons.

The project really isnt exciting. I want to light up a 24U rack (on demand) and also back light a set of floor standing surround sound speaker for less direct and discrete movie watching lighting :)

That is the first time I have seen a remote kit for it that isn't touted as RGB only. I will absolutely look into that.

I notice that the link you posted is for a 3528 series LED strip. These are 1/3 of the brightness of the 5050 series so I discounted them (as in each application i likely only have a metre of LEDs to power in one location I assumed i needed all the oomph i could get)

The upside of the 3528 LEDs though are that connectors are common and cheap.

Not sure what to do now. The only place I can find 12mm tail connectors is ordering direct from shady China web sites :( I have to be missing something no way I am first at this particular design party

I've bought 2 of these for backlighting TVs in my house. About $15 total cost with power supply and remote control.  I programmed my Harmony remote to turn on the LED backlighting when TV powers on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3528-5M-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-Lights-cool-white-IP33-Dimmer-12V2A-Power-/310621089492?pt=US_String_Lights_Fairy_Lights&var=&hash=item485275aed4

Same seller has a similar package including a 5050 strip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-5M-SMD-Flexible-LED-Strip-Lights-cool-white-IP33-Dimmer-12V5A-Power-/111038630956

Continued thanks for all the tips. The problem with ebay and these kind of things is they are so many gotchas and bad docs. These ideas are invaluable.

For reference I contacted a couple random sellers of those snap tails that are "supposed" to support 3528 or 5050. Simply put they dont they are all 8mm 3528 that I can see. A textbook case of sellers copying the wording from other sellers blindly.

Thanks for the extra ebay links as well. Not being USA based I cannot buy them direct but once i get some key words i can usaully find things on this side of the puddle.

Perhaps it is time to buy some of this to play with it is not exactly expensive... I have a sneaking suspicion i can replace quite a bit of stuff in my home an office with this if i wanted too.

Perhaps it is time to buy some of this to play with it is not exactly expensive... I have a sneaking suspicion i can replace quite a bit of stuff in my home an office with this if i wanted too.

I have replaced ALL undercabinet lighting in my home (kitchen, offices, etc) with 5050 warm white strips. I used to use 120v "wedge" style bulbs, and I was constantly replacing those.

I also used it on an outdoor umbrella. I need to take a pic of that.

I even used it in the back of my truck!

NtBiZe2l.jpg

Almost certainly general backlighting.

boblight is something to look into and is popular and rather clever.

For me I am looking to find something that can light up the corners of the room just enough to compliemnt movie watching and since every corner (ish) has a 1M tall speaker and a speaker cable run this sounded perfect.

By backlighting, do you mean that the LED's are attached to the back of the TV and light up the area around the TV in order to reduce glare from the screen?

Backlighting the area (wall) behind the TV. 

It greatly reduces eyestrain, and is supposed to make the colors more vivid. 

Here are some pics (someone else posted) of how it looks:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/6030#post_23414707

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450484/official-panasonic-tc-pxxst60-series-thread/5940#post_23407914

Heres the back lighting i use in my bedroom.

It's RGB but it also does pure white and has adjustable brightness.

2lc9oar.jpg

And the pure white i use to light my stairs.

11vqweq.jpg

I have aluminium stripping for the stairs and just bare for behind the TV.

From memory both of my led strips are 10mm (5050 = 5mmx5mm led's + surrounding area) you may struggle to find 8mm 5050.

I also just solder mine.

I like the stair lighting. Only thing I'd recommend is to fashion a cover so the light is directed all on the stairs and not up. Also reduces eye glare/night blindness.

They are in aluminium stripping with a frosted cover. The picture is a bit misleading, but in person they are not too bright. Also in person they light up the dark bit in the pic. Its just hard to get a pic of lights on a phone.

It provides an even light from the hallway downstairs all the way upstairs with only around 5w used. I have them on a timer turning on at 5:00PM and turning off at 5:00AM. It costs around $7/year in power to have them running 12 hours a day.

I am really liking where this thread is going so I have ammended the opening topic descritpion.

One thing i would ask though is that if you are going to post nice pictures and examples can you also post the technical details i.e. type of LED, PSU, connector and anything else of relevance.

ta :)

The stairs are 12v 5050 pure white LED's, purchased off eBay, ~$13 for 5m.

They are mounted inside some aluminium stripping also purchased off eBay, ~$60 for 5x 1m strips.

They are powered from an old routers 12v 1.5a plug pack connected via a 12v digital timer also purchased off eBay for ~$12.

The TV are 12v 5050 RGB LED's, purchased off eBay, ~$18 for 5m, including remote and control box.

They are just stuck onto the back of the TV and i have soldered them together in the corners with 4 small wires.

They are powered from an external molex from my media centre.

2qd74om.jpg

15rmkr5.jpg

the small white box at the back of the TV is that a dimmer and if so how you you control it IR or RF?

Its a dimmer/color selector and its IR but i rarely use it since its powered on when the media center is turned on.

So for the most part it stays on the same settings.