unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta3-x86_64 Available

limetech

Like some others here on the forums, I am strongly considering the move from ESXI to Xen.  I have grown tired of vmware's crippling of ESXI and want to move ahead to a product that is more capable.

Having said that, I was wondering if anyone has had any luck nesting Unraid 6 inside of ESXI solely for testing purposes.  I have been able to nest other Xen installations before, but have been having issues with Unraid 6 Beta3 booting.  It seems BZROOT gets hung up during the boot process and I get a CPU panic and the VM reboot.  I can provide the exact error if needed, but it's a bit hard to grab since the VM quickly reboots when the error pops up.

Again, no big deal if this isn't possible, I just wanted to get a better feel for how Xen will work with Unraid 6 before planning out my migration.

Thanks!

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's not referring to the Xen technology, but rather the content of the VM image.  For example, one could start a VM image that does malicious things.  With great power comes great responsibility.

Hold on... Let me put on my tinfoil hat. Okay... ready.

The same could be said for the Xen, KVM, ESXi Virtual Images that I and others have posted here. As well as the plugins.

If someone new pops up on here and posts a link to a VM Appliance... I would be very hesitant to use it.

However, if some of the "trusted" people, who have been around forever and have the experience / expertise were to post a VM Appliance. I would feel comfortable running it.

I don't think Weebotech is going to go through the trouble of creating a VM Appliance, write some malware so he can discover that I watch Vampire Diaries, Gilmore Girls and Chick Flicks.

1. Most of your Apps will be WebGUIs... So you should just access those instead of VNCing into your VM.

2. Enabled SSH in your VMs and set the security appropriately. Google "Securing SSH Server" to learn how to do this.

3. Consider loading a "minimal" install of whatever Linux Distro you are using for your VM. That way you are not loading GBs of "bloat" and a Linux Desktop which you will never use.

4. You will want to load Xen Paravirtualized Drivers whatever Linux Distro you are using for VMs. Most Linux Distros have a guide (many have separate installers) on how exactly to do this. This will make your VMs CPU, memory, network, video, virtual disk drive, etc. run FASTER. The host (unRAID) does not have to emulate a FULL PC to VMs with PV Drivers. This also decreases the amount of "work" that the Host (unRAID) has to do.

5. If you want to use VNC, you decide if it has a password or not and you decide what it is / how long it is. If you use TightVNC the maximum length is 8 characters. There are other VNC clients if you want a longer one.

1. That seems fair.  i was just guessing that there will be situations where someone (not necessarily even me) might want to get at a VM GUI from outside.  If there really isn't a use case for that, or if they are going to use a VPN anyway, then no harm no foul I guess.

2. Of course.  But as best I can tell SSH is at least already installed in the img Tom has provided (that is the only one I'm referencing here).  The key bit of course there would be creating a non-root user and changing the root password away from "password" :o

3. OK, makes total sense.  But did I say something that made you say that?  Really I ask that sincerely.  I'm only talking about the img Tom provided which seems pretty minumal.

4. Does Tom's img not have PV drivers loaded?

5. Now we get to it.  Ok so yeah obviously I choose the password, and I can choose a good 8-char one.  You imply TightVNC is the cause of the 8-char limit but I was notified of that limit when I invoked vncserver :1 in the VM console for the first time.  How is that a TightVNC doing?

Also for all testers please please please remember this is a beta cycle. Dont stick vms on the web or trust it for anything. Yet.

Why?

I think he's not referring to the Xen technology, but rather the content of the VM image.  For example, one could start a VM image that does malicious things.  With great power comes great responsibility.

Precisely. We have people joining this beta cycle that have no clue how these things actually work and are just installing things based on the mini guides the community are providing.

Participating and learning is how we all got there and should be actively encouraged but...

at this early stage making it so easy is a risk to the people that don't really understand the nature of the beast and they should keep things away from the internet.

Hold on... Let me put on my tinfoil hat. Okay... ready.

The same could be said for the Xen, KVM, ESXi Virtual Images that I and others have posted here. As well as the plugins.

If someone new pops up on here and posts a link to a VM Appliance... I would be very hesitant to use it.

However, if some of the "trusted" people, who have been around forever and have the experience / expertise... Were to post a VM Appliance. I would feel comfortable running it.

I don't think Weebotech is going to go through the trouble of creating a VM Appliance, write some malware so he can discover that I watch Vampire Diaries, Gilmore Girls and Chick Flicks.

Totally spot on but before hand it was the land of the geeks and well informed. We are in a whole new territory here of out of the box, already quite easy to get yourself in trouble land.

I would read to much into this its just a warning to those that may need it in these early beta cycle days of excitement.

@Tom

Can you replace r8169 driver with Realtek r8168 driver on next beta? since WOL is not functioning, same update you did on V5.

//Peter

To be honest, I'm tired of dealing with the Realtek driver issues and plan on using only r8169 provided in the kernel.  We need to find another solution to your "WOL issue".

Tom, are there issues on realtek driver?  that affect unraid? anyway, I have found a intel card that I maybe get as an upgrade.

//Peter

I was hoping to use something like XenCenter to create VMs, but there's no "xe" command-line tool or "xapi" service. Can someone point me in the right direction? My notes are below.

Install a Xen VM manager:

- Dang, no Xen Center for Mac. Let's try OpenXenManager:

- Double-dang. No precompiled binaries, and no official homebrew recipe (yet)

- There's this: http://www.bcthese.com/2012/08/manage-xenserver-from-my-mac.html, but I use homebrew instead of

MacPorts.

- Install XQuartz: https://xquartz.macosforge.org/landing/

- brew install pygtk

- svn co https://svn.code.sf.net/p/openxenmanager/code/trunk openxenmanager

- vim ~/bin/openxenmanager.sh

#!/bin/sh

#

# Shamelessly adapted from https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/pull/22032/files

#

# OpenXenManager wrapper

#

DIR=`pwd`

cd ~/temp/openxenmanager

export PYTHONPATH=`brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

export PYTHONPATH=`brew --prefix`/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0:$PYTHONPATH

python window.py &

cd "$DIR"

- chmod a+x ~/bin/openxenmanager.sh

- ~/bin/openxenmanager.sh. Crud. It tries to connect to the host using port

80 or 443. No ssh-based connection like Xen Center.

- Try Xen Orchestra's appliance:

- wget --no-check-certificate http://xen-orchestra.com/xoa.xva

- Dang. No "xe" tool, so I can't follow instructions here:

http://new-wiki.xen.org/old-wiki/xenwiki/XCP_Import_Existing_VM.html

- Give up. Find Windows machine and install Xen Center from:

http://xenserver.org/overview-xenserver-open-source-virtualization/download.html

- Connect to server fails. Oh, no Xen API :(

# service xapi status

xapi: unrecognized service

1. That seems fair.  i was just guessing that there will be situations where someone (not necessarily even me) might want to get at a VM GUI from outside.  If there really isn't a use case for that, or if they are going to use a VPN anyway, then no harm no foul I guess.

It's your party as they say.

2. Of course.  But as best I can tell SSH is at least already installed in the img Tom has provided (that is the only one I'm referencing here).  The key bit of course there would be creating a non-root user and changing the root password away from "password" :o

Tom didn't create the image, he is not associated with Stacklet nor did he provide it.

It was a recommendation that he made for users who want to download premade VM Appliances that will work in Xen. There are other sites / companies that also provide the same service.

3. OK, makes total sense.  But did I say something that made you say that?  Really I ask that sincerely.  I'm only talking about the img Tom provided which seems pretty minumal.

I haven't loaded it. Is it just a command console or does it include a Linux Desktop (and all the apps that go with it)?

4. Does Tom's img not have PV drivers loaded?

Slacket's Ubuntu VM Appliance has the PV Drivers loaded.

5. Now we get to it.  Ok so yeah obviously I choose the password, and I can choose a good 8-char one.  You imply TightVNC is the cause of the 8-char limit but I was notified of that limit when I invoked vncserver :1 in the VM console for the first time.  How is that a TightVNC doing?

From TightVNC's own website

How secure is TightVNC?

Although TightVNC encrypts VNC passwords sent over the net, the rest of the traffic is sent as is, unencrypted (for password encryption, VNC uses a DES-encrypted challenge-response scheme, where the password is limited by 8 characters, and the effective DES key length is 56 bits). So using TightVNC over the Internet can be a security risk. To solve this problem, we have plans to implement built-in encryption in future versions of TightVNC.

In the mean time, if you need real security, we recommend installing an SSH server, and using SSH tunneling for all TightVNC connections from untrusted networks.

I was hoping to use something like XenCenter to create VMs, but there's no "xe" command-line tool or "xapi" service. Can someone point me in the right direction?

No can do on this. Eventually perhaps but that isn't going to be a while.

The only way around it is for Tom to jump through a million hoops and go back to Xen 4.1 and provide a very unstable platform that Xen / Citrix (they created the toolstack / software) does not support / back.

Neither image is correct.  Refer to:

http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_Overview

Ok, so it's a bit like my upper image. Xen hypervisor layer is loaded first, and runs directly on the hardware, the control domain is created next, and third, unraid as a VM (VM0), and all other VM's are run in parallel with unraid and each other.

Or is unraid itself the control domain?

I'll promise this is the last question ;)

Does this release have support for pci-back, pci-stub or another means of implementing pci passthrough?

Yes... You can passthrough PCI Devices to your VMs with this release.

Of course, someone will have to write a guide for how to do it.

Take us to school mr schoolbusdriver!

I am burned out on writing guides due to the 2 or 3 people on here who love to attack contributors.

However... If a Linux Pro, have a development machine, can translate "Linux Speak" into a guide that novices can use, PM me. I will tell you how to do PCI Passthrough in unRAID 6.0. If you are not going to write a guide don't bother contacting me asking me how.

Some reasons to use PCI Passthrough

1. Running unRAID (VM) on unRAID (Host) is a trip. As a "back up Server" or transferring files from an old unRAID machine to a new one with new drives.

2. Installing Video Cards passing them through to VMs running XBMC to locations throughout your house is cool too.

3. Passing through network cards to pfSense.

4. Passing through Video Card, USB Controller (keyboard and mouse) to a Windows machine. Depending on your hardware, you can get real close to bare metal speeds.

Remember off-topic posts will be deleted without warning.  What's off-topic?  It's my discretion.  Please keep this forum in general, and this thread in particular, a friendly place.

To anyone with aspirations of providing cool downloads to the unRaid Community: you must learn to be accepting of all levels of understanding from your "customers" and treat each person with respect in a non-patronizing manner.

/lecture

To anyone with aspirations of providing cool downloads to the unRaid Community: you must learn to be accepting of all levels of understanding from your "customers" and treat each person with respect in a non-patronizing manner.

We need a new specific sub-forum to address exactly this gap in understanding between people. We need stickies, same as any forum does, to help bring people up to speed.

My guess is Windows VMs cannot run on this version yet? Seeing as hvmloader is 32-bit...

No so sure of that.  I did get an image from Orion to load in a VM and it's uses hvmloader.

It works. You would want to load the GPLPV drivers and make it a PVHVM. Running PVHVM with a Video Card passed through... You can get real close to "bare metal" speeds (depending on how you configure the VM).

Using unRAID 6.0, you can run the following OSes in VMs

Linux

BSD

Windows

OSX

Solaris

ARM

Andriod

Etc.

Is there a 32bit version installed ? qemu-system-i386

/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-i386 -xen-domid 0 -xen-attach -name dom0 -nographic -M xenpv -daemonize -monitor /dev/null -serial /dev/null -parallel /dev/null -pidfile /var/

Yeah I'm not sure about that, but I know 'multilib' is not installed.

I don't know if this is happening because I'm crunching my cache disk hard, but I'm getting an error like this:

REISERFS abort (device sdf1): Journal write error in flush_commit_list

Then a full system lock up.

sdf1 is my cache disk, and is older than the rest of the disks in the array.

I don't know if this is happening because I'm crunching my cache disk hard, but I'm getting an error like this:

REISERFS abort (device sdf1): Journal write error in flush_commit_list

Then a full system lock up.

sdf1 is my cache disk, and is older than the rest of the disks in the array.

As per usual, a system log would be nice.  Also, stop array, look at the device identifier on the Main page and run reiserfsck.

Suppose device id is (sdc) type:

reiserfsck /dev/sdc1

<- don't forget the '1'

Yeah I'm not sure about that, but I know 'multilib' is not installed.

QEMU is the machine emulator that KVM and Xen both use.

NOTE: qemu-system-i386 can run either 32-Bit or 64-Bit OSes.

Tom, we might want to chat about this. In beta 4 you will probably need to recompile Xen with some different flags. Depending on the package build, you may want to change the default QEMU emulator from i386 to x86-64.

Xen includes it's own version of QEMU for stability reasons and also includes an upstream version of QEMU. Each Distro handles all of that differently and I am not familiar how Slackware (or your package build) handles it. Any way you could PM me your package build?

I want see where it's getting QEMU from and which version(s) it installs. I also want to check if / where / what version of Seabios it is installing too.

I don't have 6.0 Beta3 loaded... Does /usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-system-x86-64 exist?