unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta3-x86_64 Available

limetech

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see attached  also any clue why I am only seeing 8 of my 12 cores and 2 gigs of my 8 gigs of ram. Any guesses? (using beta 3)

Tower login: root
Linux 3.10.24p-unRAID.
Last login: Sun Feb  2 21:03:07 -0800 2014 on /dev/pts/0 from Office.
root@Tower:~# xl list
Name                                        ID   Mem VCPUs      State   Time(s)
Domain-0                                     0  2048     8     r-----     579.4
archVM                                       4  2048     1     -b----       3.6

windows.cfg

Parsing config from ubuntu.13-04.xfce.x86-64.20130424.pygrub.cfg
': lexical errore.x86-64.20130424.pygrub.cfg:1: config parsing error near `

If you copied and pasted from somewhere, replace all your double and single quotes. Web pages and Word documents often have non-ASCII versions of these.

Does anyone know the details of viewing the console for a Windows VM? I can't very well install Windows without access, and the instructions I see on the interwebs assume that I have a host that can run vncviewer... :) Does Xen capture the virtual monitor and stream it out over VNC? If so, should I be connecting to dom0?

If you copied and pasted from somewhere, replace all your double and single quotes. Web pages and Word documents often have non-ASCII versions of these.

Does anyone know the details of viewing the console for a Windows VM? I can't very well install Windows without access, and the instructions I see on the interwebs assume that I have a host that can run vncviewer... :) Does Xen capture the virtual monitor and stream it out over VNC? If so, should I be connecting to dom0?

Make sure you win.cfg looks like the one in my post here (including USB tablet bits)

http://blog.ktz.me/?p=219

Then once the VM is running point vnc toward your unraid IP and display 0. That should do it. You can't connect to windows 'console', only via vnc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wonder if, once the bulk of development/testing is done, it would be sensible/worthwhile to split the Xen related packages and configs etc from the main release and instead make them available as a system plugin.

That way I guess it would also be possible for a KVM plugin to be created, and any updates to Xen/KVM packages could happen independently of an unRAID release.

Obviously any kernel configs or required base (non Xen or KVM specific) packages should be included in the main release. Anything else could be in the plugin.

That way users who aren't interested in running VM's wouldn't find themselves lumbered with irrelevant (to them) packages being installed. And if there were Xen and KVM plugins then those users who are interested in running VMs can pick their architecture of choice.

Thoughts?

Xen and KVM are either on or off in the unRAID kernel. If you want Xen / KVM you have to boot them through the boot menu. If you do no not want VMs boot unRAID like normal (the default).

The Xen / KVM packages being installed in unRAID 6 makes has no effect to users who do not want VMs aside from the space it takes it up (which isn't much). Works just like the other packages that Tom has installed that many users do not use.

The size difference will/can be measured when all said and done. It can't be argued there is nothing but how much more will be seen. For some of us that can be difficult to measure as we don't have say a 6.0 (plain 64 bit) and a 6.1 (xen/unraid). In the end it will be what it will be, its Tom product.

Off butlerpeter point, Tom will there be 2 Webgui's or one which would dynamically display options based on the boot mode selected, thus Xen/VM options not showing up if one was to boot to unRAID versus boot to Xen/unRAID Dom0?

Off butlerpeter point, Tom will there be 2 Webgui's or one which would dynamically display options based on the boot mode selected, thus Xen/VM options not showing up if one was to boot to unRAID versus boot to Xen/unRAID Dom0?

There is no difference in the WebGUI aside from giving you the option to install a Network Bridge in the Network Settings. By default, it uses the NIC as it always has.

I believe what people are talking about is a plugin where users set the various settings for VMs. If you do not want to use Xen / KVM, you wouldn't load the plugin.

By design, unRAID users who do not use Xen or KVM will not see any changes aside from the following:

1. Boot Menu - unRAID is still the default option but there will be 2 new options for KVM or Xen.

2. Size of the bzroot / bzimage - Increased by 10MB (this might grow a little more when the KVM packages are done).

3. WebGUI - Within Network settings, the default it will use a standard NIC as it always has. However, their is now an option to create a network bridge for either Xen or KVM.

Make sure you win.cfg looks like the one in my post here (including USB tablet bits)

http://blog.ktz.me/?p=219

Then once the VM is running point vnc toward your unraid IP and display 0. That should do it. You can't connect to windows 'console', only via vnc.

Works great, thanks! The aspect ratio is a little tall, but it's fine.

What's the story with the tablet option? Why do I need it? Also, do I need these?

kernel = "hvmloader"

device_model_version="qemu-xen-traditional"

acpi='1'

apic = '1'

viridian = '1'

# Not doing passthrough

#pci = ['01:00.0','01:00.1','00:1d.0']

I set vif to this, to model the Ubuntu cfg:

vif = [ '' ]

I guess us ATOM guys (X7SPA) need to stick with VirtualbBox if we want a Windows VM, correct?

CPU does not support Hardware Virtualization.

Nope. You can use Xen.

It is a myth that Xen requires special hardware. I've said this in dozens of places but will repeat it here...

You only need vt-d (special hardware) for passthrough support. Xen functions fine without this. You can run as many VMs as you want, albeit slowly, on your Atom.

I guess us ATOM guys (X7SPA) need to stick with VirtualbBox if we want a Windows VM, correct?

Nope. You can use Xen.

It is a myth that Xen requires special hardware. I've said this in dozens of places but will repeat it here...

You only need vt-d (special hardware) for passthrough support. Xen functions fine without this. You can run as many VMs as you want, albeit slowly, on your Atom.

not sure if this is 100% correct.

don't you need IOMMU support for HVM ?

I mean yes you can run paravirtualized VMs, IE Linux based

but for windows you need at least partial IOMMU /vt-d support

right ?

Nope. You can use Xen.

right ?

Don't see why you would need partial vt-d. I've never actually tried it though so could easily sit corrected.

Nope. You can use Xen.

right ?

Don't see why you would need partial vt-d. I've never actually tried it though so could easily sit corrected.

From Xen WiKi (http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Beginners_Guide):

NOTE: This is optional and not required for PV guests

In order to support HVM guests we need to ensure that virtualization extensions are enabled in the BIOS. If you don’t wish to start a HVM guest you can skip this step but it is still highly recommended. If your system doesn’t support these extensions you cannot use Xen to virtualize unmodified operating systems, however para-virtualization will work fine.

[\quote]

last time I checked windows run as HVM, or something changed. I'd like to know this as well.

And the following paragraph says this:

"The virtualization option appears differently in different BIOS builds but generally it is referred to as “Enable Virtualisation Technology” or “Enable Intel VT” for Intel chipsets, however in some cases it can be listed as “Vanderpool Technology”. Oftentimes this option can be found under the “Advanced Chipset Features” menu in the BIOS. Similar also for AMD."

Isn't this referring to VT-x (which most CPU's have, especially more recent CPU's), and not VT-d (which is specifically for passthrough)?

That's how I read it anyway. VT-x is required for HVM, not VT-d.

EDIT: Intel's original code name for VT-x was "Vanderpool".

I had it happen when I created the cfg file using Windows Notepad. Creating a new CFG file and pasting the same text into vi corrected.

Also, according to Intel ARK, all Atom CPU's (even the first gen ones) have VT-x support.

According to intel ARK the D510 doesn't support both VT-d and VT-x

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/43098/Intel-Atom-Processor-D510-1M-Cache-1_66-GHz#@product/specifications

I seem to be "stuck" with Virtualbox.

Ugh, my mistake. Apparently my ARK search was total fail. None of the 9 "Desktop" Atoms support VT-x. The ones that do are all mobile or embedded.

What are the exact implications of not having VT-x or SVM in XEN? My understanding was always that these were enhancement technologies but we seem to be inferring some loss of functionality.

well from my understanding (have been researching for the last 4 month trying to run unRaid in VM on my hardware)

you need VT-x/SVM to be able to properly run HVM under Xen/KVM

in a nutshell ,   

without it in KVM only PV (linux based ) VMs can be runed

and with Xen the HVM based windows  VM are possible but very difficult to setup.

something to do with drivers not being compatible.

I have been trying to test create win7 VM under Xen and it hungs saying drivers not found. still researching

now, unraid related:  to run unraid in VM you need full VT-d/AMD-Vi(IOMMU) cpu and MB  to do the hardware pass-through.