Powerdown package for unRAID v5 and v6 (DEPRECATED)

dlandon

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When you say shutdown button what button are you referring to?  Do you have the Dynamix button plugin installed?  Are you talking about those buttons?

9iqyvp.jpg

It's my understanding that the gui power button uses Powerdown if it's installed. I selected the reboot option and the server stopped, the gui switched to a page with a message "Server Rebooting" or something similar. But the system didn't reboot. I had to use Margarita to send a reboot command to the system to get it to proceed.

I can test this again if you want.

When you say shutdown button what button are you referring to?  Do you have the Dynamix button plugin installed?  Are you talking about those buttons?

9iqyvp.jpg

It's my understanding that the gui power button uses Powerdown if it's installed. I selected the reboot option and the server stopped, the gui switched to a page with a message "Server Rebooting" or something similar. But the system didn't reboot. I had to use Margarita to send a reboot command to the system to get it to proceed.

I can test this again if you want.

See here

Just exploring other options for easy shutdowns/reboots using the powerdown script. Is there a simple way to determine if the script is being called by other apps? Wanted to try and figure out if Margarita is using the script but I have no idea what to look for in the logs.

Near the end of the syslog (usually twice) -

Sep  9 11:52:35 JacoBack powerdown[9248]: Powerdown V2.18

Just exploring other options for easy shutdowns/reboots using the powerdown script. Is there a simple way to determine if the script is being called by other apps? Wanted to try and figure out if Margarita is using the script but I have no idea what to look for in the logs.

Near the end of the syslog (usually twice) -

Sep  9 11:52:35 JacoBack powerdown[9248]: Powerdown V2.18

Was a bust but thanks.

To use powerdown with those buttons, press the ctrl key then click the button to reboot.

That doesn't work in Safari. Ctrl has it's own special functions. Copy link, open link in new tab, etc.

I can assign it to the SHIFT key instead of the CTRL key, will that work in Safari ?

If I go to Array Operations, stop the array, and reboot or powerdown, does the powerdown plugin get invoked or not? I had assumed that it does. If it does, then shouldn't the buttons do the same? Is there some good reason to bypass it I'm not aware of?

To use powerdown with those buttons, press the ctrl key then click the button to reboot.

That doesn't work in Safari. Ctrl has it's own special functions. Copy link, open link in new tab, etc.

I can assign it to the SHIFT key instead of the CTRL key, will that work in Safari ?

If I go to Array Operations, stop the array, and reboot or powerdown, does the powerdown plugin get invoked or not? I had assumed that it does. If it does, then shouldn't the buttons do the same? Is there some good reason to bypass it I'm not aware of?

You are right, when the powerdown plugin is installed it will actually replace the standard powerdown function, which in turn is called by the menu's shutdown or reboot selection.

Using the CTRL key will call the powerdown script directly, but essentially is the same action.

You are right, when the powerdown plugin is installed it will actually replace the standard powerdown function, which in turn is called by the menu's shutdown or reboot selection.

Using the CTRL key will call the powerdown script directly, but essentially is the same action.

What I'm not understanding is what happens if you don't press the CTRL key?

For me, I found that clicking the System Button Shutdown or Reboot did not call the Powerdown plugin.  It appeared to call the built-in powerdown, probably by direct path.  Using the Ctrl key did call the Powerdown plugin.  Both were equally effective, but only one saved the syslogs.

For me, I found that clicking the System Button Shutdown or Reboot did not call the Powerdown plugin.  It appeared to call the built-in powerdown, probably by direct path.  Using the Ctrl key did call the Powerdown plugin.  Both were equally effective, but only one saved the syslogs.

That really seems backwards to me. If there is a special key needed, it should be used to do something different from what happens when you do the normal shutdown/reboot from Array Operations. I really don't see why anyone would want to bypass powerdown plugin anyway, but if that feature is available, then that should require the special key, and not using the special key would do the normal thing, which is use the powerdown plugin.

When I reboot my system without the ctrl key I find a file syslog.zip in boot/Logs. I think this is the one saved by Powerdown. It doesn't have this line in the log- JacoBack powerdown[9248]: Powerdown V2.18, but it does have a line that references Powerdown V2.18. I can't attach logs in this forum but here's an example. syslog.zip. Maybe this isn't the log being mentioned?

I appreciate this. Let me check and make sure Shift doesn't already have any special functions mapped to it and I'll post back.

When I reboot my system without the ctrl key I find a file syslog.zip in boot/Logs. I think this is the one saved by Powerdown. It doesn't have this line in the log- JacoBack powerdown[9248]: Powerdown V2.18, but it does have a line that references Powerdown V2.18. I can't attach logs in this forum but here's an example. syslog.zip. Maybe this isn't the log being mentioned?

The powerdown plugin replaces the standard unRAID powerdown script.  No matter how the system is shutdown, powerdown will always be run.

Here is the sequence of operations with each different click of the reboot:

- Click "Reboot".  The emhttp sequence is run to stop the array and reboot.  This is the same as pressing the stop button on the webgui, and then clicking reboot.

- Click "Reboot" with the CTRL key pressed.  Powerdown is executed to stop all running tasks, unmount the drives, and then reboot.  This is the same as typing "reboot" at the console.

Either sequence gets you the syslog saved.  If the array has been stopped when powerdown is called, it will merely save the log and reboot the systen.

The difference is that the emhttp initiated reboot can sometimes get hung waiting for a task to stop.  This is the situation where you see the unmounting drives message on the screen constantly.  Powerdown is a bit more forceful and will shut down the array even if a task is keeping it from doing that.

When powerdown is used to shut down the array and unmount the drives, you will see in the log a long list of entries where it is performing the work.  If it's only a few lines at the end, the array has already been stopped.

The powerdown plugin replaces the standard unRAID powerdown script.  No matter how the system is shutdown, powerdown will always be run.

- Click "Reboot".  The emhttp sequence is run to stop the array and reboot.  This is the same as pressing the stop button on the webgui, and then clicking reboot.

- Click "Reboot" with the CTRL key pressed.  Powerdown is executed to stop all running tasks, unmount the drives, and then reboot.  This is the same as typing "reboot" at the console.

Either sequence gets you the syslog saved.  If the array has been stopped when powerdown is called, it will merely save the log and reboot the systen.

The difference is that the emhttp initiated reboot can sometimes get hung waiting for a task to stop.  This is the situation where you see the unmounting drives message on the screen constantly.  Powerdown is a bit more forceful and will shut down the array even if a task is keeping it from doing that.

When powerdown is used to shut down the array and unmount the drives, you will see in the log a long list of entries where it is performing the work.  If it's only a few lines at the end, the array has already been stopped.

Thanks for the detail. Now I understand why I keep getting hangs on reboot.

Thanks for the detail. Now I understand why I keep getting hangs on reboot.

If you run powerdown to reboot, there is a lot more log information and we can try to determine where the hangs are occurring.

Go to your console or a ssh/telnet session and type 'reboot' and post the log.  I can look and see if there is anything hanging up the shutdown.