Best 4TB Drive Availble Now?

I have an Unraid system running 7x2TB Western Digital Caviar Black Models.  My unraid is set up in the AVS10 unraid server with space for (10) 3.5" drives and (4) 2.5" drives (currently have an old 80 GB SSD running as a cache disk in one of the 2.5" slots. It has been running 3 years or so with the WD Black drives, but recently started to have a few of the disks show signs of beginning to have problems (Smart issues like offline_uncorrectable and multi_zone_errors).  So far they are small, single digit type errors, but would like to start systematically replacing a few of these disks with larger 4TB versions.

Performance is an issue for me--so I have traditionally stayed away from the 5400/5900 RPM disks.  I also leave my disks spinning 24/7 as one of the main uses for the unraid is serving content to my HTPC and Extenders (Sage TV with (3) HD 300 extenders).  However, I am open to looking at the these if the collective knowledge on the forums pushes me this way..

Anyone using the Western Digital Re "Enterprise class" drives? 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0090UEQ8I/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i4?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=03YH0ZVWE3660F7GS2SF&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

I like the 5 year warranty--and cost is not really a major concern if I get a more reliable/better warrantied system (though I obviously don't want to throw money away).  Or should I stick with the WD Reds/Seagate NAS drives? 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

<knock on wood>

I haven't seen a single issue with any of my HGST/Hitachi HDS724040ALE640's. They are wicked fast too.

I second your vote for HGST 7K4000; I'm running 8x4tb raid 5 24/7 for almost a year without a reallocated sector.  I think Hitachi/Toshiba is a good choice for price vs durability.  The 2tb 7K2000 that were replaced ran over 3yrs 24/7 same config; they are 4yrs old now and in a backup server.  The only drive replaced in that set was due to careless handling during a chassis upgrade. 

Microcenter usually has the best price on retail kit w/3yr warranty.

The Hitachi's get excellent reviews from many storage sites.  Certainly a good choice.

I prefer the Seagate 4TB NAS units, however.  With their 1TB platters they have a higher sustained data rate than the Hitachi's, yet run notably cooler and use less power due to their lower rotation speed (5900rpm vs 7200rpm).

The Hitachi's do have a faster access time, so for high IOPS rates they'll outperform the lower speed drives; but for streaming large files (a very common use of UnRAID) the higher areal density of the Seagates is preferable.

I'm seeing 150mb/sec+ parity speeds on my all Seagate array for the first 50% of the 3 TB drives (3TB & 4TB drives)

Not at all surprising.  As I noted, the areal density of the 1TB/platter drives easily outperforms the higher speed but lower density Hitachi units in sustained transfer rate -- which is the key factor for parity checks.    An all-Hitachi HDS724040ALE640 array would do very well also, but not quite as fast as the Seagate NAS units.  [specifically, the Hitachi would be 97.6% as fast]

• 4 weeks later...

ye i'm looking at the 4tb nas drives too

http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/E24F75A14027DBAC88257C74007DB2AD/$file/DS_NAS_ds.pdf

since my system still contains a number of 2tb WD and samsung drives i doubt the higher speed of the 1tb platter of the seagate nas drives matters at all.

i do wonder how much hotter the HGST drives will rin compared to all the green drives i have.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

this article  shows the Hitachi's are fare more reliable than the seagates

altho it also states:

We are focusing on 4TB drives for new pods. For these, our current favorite is the Seagate Desktop HDD.15 (ST4000DM000). We’ll have to keep an eye on them, though. Historically, Seagate drives have performed well at first, and then had higher failure rates later.

Our other favorite is the Western Digital 3TB Red (WD30EFRX).

this gives a bit of credit back to Seagate and WD

does anyone else know how hot the hgst drives get to comparable low rpm drives?

I have 2 of the Hitachi 4tb 5 platter nas drives, a 3tb toshiba 7200 rpm 3 platter drive,  a 2tb seagate 7200 drive and a 2tb green wd drive In a hp microserver. During a parity check a would get temps of 30c  wd green,  32c  seagate, 33c toshiba,  and 35 deg c Hitachi.  So they do run hotter but are fast!  When the wd green drive finishes parity check I get a big jump up in speed when the toshiba and Hitachi drives are running. The speed increase again when the toshiba drive finishes.  The speed just before the complete check is done is slightly slower that just before the toshiba is finished but I can live with that.  I have had no problem with any of my drives but wouldn't get a wd green now since I see how slow they are! Looks like the Hitachi drives are fractionally slower than the toshiba drives.  Seagate 7200 drives are lots faster than the wd green. Wd greens are slugs but cool.

Hope that helps.

thanks a lot that's very helpful. its seems to be only a couple of degrees not bad at all.

because of their good reputation i had already ordered 3 of the 4tb nas drives from hitachi.

one for parity one for data and a spare.

now the next step will be finding out how to get the smoothest upgrade from 4.7 to 5.x :)