unRAID 6 Beta 6: Docker Quick-Start Guide

Has anyone been able to get the notifyXBMC script in nzbget to actually work?  Trying to make a targeted update, I can't seem to get anything to show up.

Using the above settings, and also placing all the user:pass@ip:port info in just the host line:

/data/Movies/  as my LocalRootPath (/data refering to /mnt/user)

smb://192.168.1.6/Movies/ as my RemotePath

I've tried using the name of the NAS as well, but either option don't seem to send anything.

Could this be failing to work because of the order of my scripts?  I've got the videoSort rename/move then followed by the xbmc script gets triggered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm completely confused by all of this docker business and came here expecting a bit of guidance only to be told that a guide is 'imminent'.

My array is built, i've managed to start docker and populate a couple of images by reading smdion's pages (thanks!) but .... i have absolutely no idea of what i am doing despite manageing to install, start, stop these images. Am I supposed to create the variables/config mentioned in the docker images ie folders etc or are these all created via the docker image itself?. After installing an image i immediately check my root directories and nothing changes! Where should all of these references be? For example ... installed Utpstatsboard, DID NOTHING TO THE IMAGE itself (is this right), setup absolutely nothing manually (again, is this right?) and then started the image. All starts ok but what now? How do i access? You'll have to bear with me but i've absolutely no idea of how this thing (docker, that is) is supposed to be used. It's just there ... where's the documentation??

I'm completely confused by all of this docker business and came here expecting a bit of guidance only to be told that a guide is 'imminent'.

My array is built, i've managed to start docker and populate a couple of images by reading smdion's pages (thanks!) but .... i have absolutely no idea of what i am doing despite manageing to install, start, stop these images. Am I supposed to create the variables/config mentioned in the docker images ie folders etc or are these all created via the docker image itself?. After installing an image i immediately check my root directories and nothing changes! Where should all of these references be? For example ... installed Utpstatsboard, DID NOTHING TO THE IMAGE itself (is this right), setup absolutely nothing manually (again, is this right?) and then started the image. All starts ok but what now? How do i access? You'll have to bear with me but i've absolutely no idea of how this thing (docker, that is) is supposed to be used. It's just there ... where's the documentation??

Sounds like you may still be confused about Volume Mappings. The Host portion of a Volume Mapping is a folder on unRAID. The Container portion of a Volume Mapping is a folder in the container. Think of the container folder as being an alias of the unRAID folder.

For example, some dockers will have a /config folder as its "working storage", and you can map that to an unRAID folder like /mnt/cache/appdata/docker-name. Then the container will read and/or write its /config to /mnt/cache/appdata/docker-name

Another example, a docker may need access to a TV share you have in unRAID. You could have the container folder be /TV, but the unRAID folder would be /mnt/user/TV. Then, when the container wanted to read and/or write its /TV folder, it will be actually going to the unRAID /mnt/user/TV folder.

How these get defined depends on the container and what you want it to access on unRAID.

Thanks .... but am I supposed to precreate these access points in advance of installing the docker image? Or ... does the docker do this?

What is a name of one of your user shares that you would like to allow a docker to access?

Maybe it would help if you could tell me what dockers you want to use.

Thanks again but i'm just tinkering at the moment and trying to understand how these docker images are used and what is needed by me to make them work. I've nothing speecific in mind, maybe plex and all its associated parts but the images i've loaded so far seem to be not working. This will be because i did nothing other than load the image. Are there docker specific discussions for each image i could get a handle on? Seems as though you must have a grounding in linux and then docker to use these. Why? Where's the help files?

Thanks .... but am I supposed to precreate these access points in advance of installing the docker image? Or ... does the docker do this?

Docker will create the folders on the host automatically if they don't exist.

If you don't already have one, I recommend setting up a user share called "appdata" and setting it to "cache only" (if you have a cache drive).

There is also no need for a lot of docker / Linux reading to make use of docker.  Its pretty "point and click" and the setup process per container is nearly identical.  Docker does all the hard work automatically for you (pulling images, snapshotting layers, etc).

The environment variables section will be populated if necessary by the container template and/or there are instructions per container that show up under the "description" when adding a container.

As far as docs goes, the help docs in the GUI are a work in progress as we are working on an updated interface design.  This is still beta for now, so if you want something super polished, I encourage you to check back after we have left the beta phase.

Looking forward to a better way what fields shall be populated depending on template I like to install! Right now I don't have any clue  what to put in!! If this can be done then docker would be more user friendly.

Let's hope that there is a lot more help on how to complete the docker template soon ...

jonp ... i hav now set up an appdata share on the cache disk only but why exactly do i need one and more importantly how is it made accessible to each docker image that is being installed ie where do you specify the fact that an appdata folder exists or do you not even need to do that, the install process detects it, yes/no?

Something I'd like to add since I'm sure I'm not the only one who had trouble with it, when adding a docker such as NZBDrone, after you're done with the docker part, and you are setting up NZBDrone within the webgui, /mnt/user/TV Shows will not work, the correct path to use would be whatever the container volume is, which in that particular case was /tv.

Same for couchpotato, the movies folder is just /movies.

It makes sense in the context of being a docker that the original path wouldn't work, but wasn't really thinking about it that way.

Read this quoted post first.

The appdata folder is for files the docker needs to write and store, such as config files, settings files, etc. Dockers are self contained and do not have access to your other files, except for what you specifically allow.

Here is an example setup for couchpotato. You can see that the appdata folder is mapped to simply /config. When setting CP up itself through the webgui, all you need to put in is /config, /downloads, /movies etc. It's not hard once you start thinking about them in the context of being self contained dockers (or essentially a VM), and not just plugins.

Note in the image, apps is my cache only share, appdata is within that, You need to change your path to whatever yours is. 

W2KapFl.png

If you've installed these apps before in older plugin versions then the move to Docker is painless.  If this is your first time with UnRAID then your issue is more understanding unRAID's structre, cache drive and then app you're installing.

Docker isn't your issue

Looking forward to a better way what fields shall be populated depending on template I like to install! Right now I don't have any clue  what to put in!! If this can be done then docker would be more user friendly.

Let's hope that there is a lot more help on how to complete the docker template soon ...

jonp ... i hav now set up an appdata share on the cache disk only but why exactly do i need one and more importantly how is it made accessible to each docker image that is being installed ie where do you specify the fact that an appdata folder exists or do you not even need to do that, the install process detects it, yes/no?

Dockers will have one or more volume mappings. This is how the docker gets access to files on your unRAID.

Typically a docker will have a folder that it stores its config type information in, maybe even its database if it has one. Maybe the docker calls this folder /config. This is the container part of that volume mapping. This part is often already filled in for you in the template. This /config folder will need to be mapped to your unRAID storage.

The word map here may be what is confusing you. All it means is that the docker calls it one thing, and unRAID calls it something else, but it is really talking about the same place.

Often, the unRAID mapping (the host part of the volume mapping) for the dockers /config folder in this example is also already filled in for you in the template, but you may need to change it to suit the way you want things stored on your unRAID. If the template says /mnt/user/appdata but you would rather that it store its /config somewhere else, you can change it.

Many dockers will also have other mappings, to allow them to access your media files for example. If you have your Movies stored on a user share name Movies, then this is in unRAID at /mnt/user/Movies. The docker might call the folder it is looking for /Video instead, so this volume mapping would have /mnt/user/Movies for the host and /Video for the container. Often you get to decide where you want this to be in the docker when you configure it through its web page.

I think you should just pick a docker and we can work through getting it going for your specific case. Maybe then it will make sense and you can understand how to do it for other dockers.

If you've installed these apps before in older plugin versions then the move to Docker is painless.  If this is your first time with UnRAID then your issue is more understanding unRAID's structre, cache drive and then app you're installing.

Docker isn't your issue

I think you're right there.

I've never installed the plugins, choosing to hang fire until docker apps 'matured' ... sic

However I have managed to install (ahem!) the following .... nzbget & nzbdrone and they start/stop ok and clunk the disk at regular intervals but nothing is being returned and i'm stumped!

I'll just keep clicking boxes until i see some results (it's called the learning curve) and if nothing happens then i'll just remove them and wait for another 6 months until there's a bit more info out there.

By that i mean that some other poor soul who is in the same position as me manages to sort out their issues AND, more importantly, documents them for future users who fall into the same holes. It's that documenting of pitfalls that's missing i'm finding.

Is that down to Unraid or the aapplication .... bit of both in my opinion, seems to be the way the game is being played ie knowledge is power.

.... nzbget & nzbdrone and they start/stop ok and clunk the disk at regular intervals but nothing is being returned and i'm stumped!...

I use nzbget docker so maybe we can work together on getting that going for you.

What exactly do you mean "nothing is being returned"? If the nzbget docker is running then you just go to its web page to finish setting it up.

I will attach a couple of screenshots for further discussion.

Thanks ... i've been to the web page and filled in sone usenet info .. says my system health is goid but what next? Installed nzbdrone, added nzbindex as an indexer and hit the button on 'west wing' .... all i could think of as ive got the boxset already and .... nothing. Now where do i go from here?

Thanks ... i've been to the web page and filled in sone usenet info .. says my system health is goid but what next? Installed nzbdrone, added nzbindex as an indexer and hit the button on 'west wing' .... all i could think of as ive got the boxset already and .... nothing. Now where do i go from here?

I don't use nzbdrone. Have you ever used it? Maybe your problem is not with docker but with the application in the docker. Even though nzbdrone was not written by Limetech or anyone on this forum, somone here might be able to help you if you could just ask a good question.

Basic NZBdrone setup in a nutshell

Setup up docker something like this:

Untitled_zpsd45ef525.png

/mnt/cache/Downloads/Complete/Television is where I have my downloads being saved to

/mnt/user/Television/Old Seasons/ and /tmp/server_b_television/Old Seasons/ are the paths to my tv shows stored on my 2 arrays.

Once NZBDrone is loaded, go to settings.  Set up Media Management, Profiles, Quality to your own preferences.

On the Indexers tab, add ALL of the free ones (the ones that don't require an API).  Add any others that you've registered for using the Newznab setting

On the download client, add nzbget and enter in the appropriate information.  (I use SAB so I can't really help you there, but I can tell you that in the host field use the IP address of the server, not "localhost")

If you want nzbdrone to automatically let plex or xbmc (kodi) know about downloads, setup the connections tab.

Then just go to the series button, and either add a new series, or import one already on the disk.  Then if you click the search icon, it will search for everything.

For more indepth settings, your best best would be to go to nzbdrone's forum

do you have a Usenet account?
  • 2 weeks later...