Dockerization of some popular applications.

I didn't see any readme's in the first post, and the readme's on GIT look to be a few days old, so I am wondering what is the switch we need to enable 'latest' and updates?

The READMEs are on github or under the Information tab on Docker Hub.

Also -- just to check - what is the process to update the docker images to your latest changes?  Do we just do:

docker rm couchpotato
docker run ... needo/couchpotato

or do we need to do something like a "docker pull" first?

Troy

I would do a:

docker stop couchpotato

docker rm couchpotato

docker rmi needo/couchpotato

Then run whatever docker run command works for you.

I didn't see any readme's in the first post, and the readme's on GIT look to be a few days old, so I am wondering what is the switch we need to enable 'latest' and updates?

I see this...

docker nzbdrone

This is a Dockerfile setup for nzbdrone - http://nzbdrone.com/

To run:

docker run -d –name=“nzbdrone” -v /path/to/config:/config -v /path/to/downloads:/downloads -v /path/to/tv/shows:/tv -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 8989:8989 needo/nzbdrone

But nothing to tell us how to pick the 'current' or latest with the run command.

I see this...

docker nzbdrone

This is a Dockerfile setup for nzbdrone - http://nzbdrone.com/

To run:

docker run -d –name=“nzbdrone” -v /path/to/config:/config -v /path/to/downloads:/downloads -v /path/to/tv/shows:/tv -v /etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro -p 8989:8989 needo/nzbdrone

But nothing to tell us how to pick the 'current' or latest with the run command.

nzbdrone isn't downloaded through git. The current Docker already has the latest version.

Duh, that makes sense.  I should have looked closer at your list of applications that have the new switch!

Now that I have looked closer, I don't see SAB in that list.  SAB has an option to check for updates weekly, so I assume I should turn this off.  If so, what will be best practice for updaing SAB going forward?

Duh, that makes sense.  I should have looked closer at your list of applications that have the new switch!

Now that I have looked closer, I don't see SAB in that list.  SAB has an option to check for updates weekly, so I assume I should turn this off.  If so, what will be best practice for updaing SAB going forward?

Both nzbdrone and sabnzbd are installed via their individual apt repositories to make sure they have the latest version. In theory the in app update "should" work but I have yet to test it. And if for some case you docker rmi the image/container it may cause corruption if an older version is started back up.

CHANGELOG

06/25/2014

• (ALL) Migrated from debian:jessie to phuzion/baseimage:0.9.11
  • (mariadb) When initializing a new database root can connect from anywhere with no password
  • (plex) It is now possible to specify which version of PlexMediaServer you want to install. See README for more details.
  • (couchpotato)(sickbeard)(sickrage)(plexwatch)(nzbmegasearch)(plexconnect) By default the latest stable version of these applications will be installed. By specifying a variable in the docker run command the latest master branch will be installed and in-app updates will be functional. Please see the respective READMEs for more details.

Needo, thanks again for taking the time to incorporate these changes. I am sure a lot of us appreciating you providing options for those who want something a little different than you've been providing.

Keep up the great work.

Call me an evil Capitalist... I'd put a DONATE button in your signature and on your threads so you can receive compensation for all your knowledge / work / service you provide.

Many people offered to donate money my way for the XenServer, Xen and KVM stuff I did in the past. If I wasn't an evil Capitalist and didn't already rape and pillage others but was instead a poor college student like Ironic... I would have taken them up on it.

Not having to create a bunch of docker containers and maintain them is something I would gladly donate to avoid. Just give me a way to do it.

• (plex) It is now possible to specify which version of PlexMediaServer you want to install. See README for more details.

Thank you very much Needo!  Wow, I did not realize that Dockerfiles only had access to set ENV vars, not to use them.  Very creative use of scripts to get around that!

I'm running out of excuses to not install b6 :)

any chance of

1. update gfjardims crashplan to use this baseimage?

https://github.com/gfjardim/dockers/tree/master/crashplan

2. make a docker for headphones

# Install headphones from github

RUN git clone https://github.com/rembo10/headphones.git /opt/headphones

3. make a docker for lazylibrarian

# Install lazylibrarian from github

RUN git clone https://github.com/DobyTang/LazyLibrarian.git /opt/lazylibrarian

I have them all running using the ubuntu 14.04 image.... with the supervisor hack

LAst 2 is just adapting the couchpotato docker with the new github's

but in order for them all to be in one location it would prefer needo to have them all on his github ...

you could extend your plex docker with an automatic detection, what the latest release is and download/install it on container-start

see here for an example: https://github.com/Benni-chan/docker-plex/blob/master/start.sh (this script is not fully complete, but the parts you need are...)

the user then could maybe enter  -e VERSION=latest -e PLEXUSER=xxxxx -e PLEXPASS=xxxxx (or without plexuser/plexpass for a non-plexpass version)

Needo

I added an issue on your plexconnect docker

like it is now when you put edge = 1

then you do a rm -rf /opt/plexconnect

but that also erases the certificate .... which needs to be the same as the one on the apple tv... so we can not change it all the time or you need to hack your apple tv all the time and it is not that quickly done ;)

so i proposed a workaround... aka use a temp dir to clone into

and move / overwite all files from that temp to /opt/plexonnect

and of course erase temp

Needo -- this is all such great work.  Put me on the list of people who would gladly donate if the option is there.

Also, I have a question for the group at-large -- has anyone found a good apache/php docker that they are using?  It's the final thing I need to get everything up and running.

Great work needo.

I setup your mariadb docker this morning, successfully using my previously existing databases.

Have just set up plex - I did try using my existing library with it but it didn't work out too well so it's just in the process of rescanning my files into a new library.

If I can get a docker container setup to run nZEDb I can completely retire the VM I've been using for that and plex.

I might use your dockerfiles as a base and have a bash at doing so myself.

Quick (and probably dumb) question - can I fire up the base image (that your dockers are based on) by itself in order to test the commands needed to install things?

Just installed your new and improved Phusion-based docker apps. SABnzbd is giving me this message now: "Your UNRAR version is not recommended, get it from http://www.rarlab.com/rar_add.htm" Is this going to be a problem? If not, is there any way to suppress that nag message?

I will take a look. With sabnzbd and nzbget I am attempting to use unrar-free. I was unaware of that nag message. I will flip over to the "nonfree" version of unrar