System Notifications - Pass 1

jonp

• 4 weeks later...

It is also hard to figure out which smart value really means something.  I would like to see alerts for any hardware errors in the syslog, such as messages about controllers or disks errors, as well as smart values that grow.  I have a few disks with smart errors, but occurred years ago, and haven't change since and seem to be fine.

• 3 months later...

I was able to setup and confirm that the new email notifications were working, I then scheduled a parity check for the 1st of the month that ran without issue, but I didn't get any notification email that the parity check was started, in progress or finished successfully. Is the new system not handling any of that yet?

I know in the unmenu system I was getting an email a day that everything was OK, will that be implemented going forward?

For those of you having difficulty with the mail testing.

You can test manually in a terminal/telnet/ssh session by issuing the following command.

echo -e "Subject: Test Mail\n\n"  | sendmail -d [email protected](or whatever).

This puts sSMTP in visual debug mode so you can see what's going on.

Perhaps this needs to be a feature in the webGui configuration test screen.

I.E. if it ran in visual debug mode and piped it into logger, then a person can review syslog and see what went wrong.

@JonP, This should probably be a standard thing in the test button, or at least a checkbox to enable logging to syslog for this.

@JonP, This should probably be a standard thing in the test button, or at least a checkbox to enable logging to syslog for this.

Please test whether or not this would log the email credentials before implementing it into the syslog.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36527.msg340568#msg340568

It does log username/domain, I can't see a clear text password on my account, but that's already known from the configuration.

From my log I can see the base64 encoding of username & password, so this would'nt/shouldn't be something you would publish.

As jonathanm mentions, this is probably something that shouldn't be in the syslog without warning.

Or display it on the test page as it occurs or a popup window (like the LOG button on the bar).

Are you guys form LT ignoring me on purpose? It's great you added a notification system, and I see your working on getting the testing and logging working, but

what exaclty is it supposed to be sending alerts about? I haven't gotten one since upgrading

I also cannot find anything about it in the wiki or the release notes.

Are you guys form LT ignoring me on purpose? It's great you added a notification system, and I see your working on getting the testing and logging working, but

what exaclty is it supposed to be sending alerts about? I haven't gotten one since upgrading

I also cannot find anything about it in the wiki or the release notes.

We never ignore anyone on purpose.  The events that trigger notifications are being documented.

We appreciate the enthusiasm to try these things out, but please understand we can't always have all this info available at the time of each beta release. We will respond and post more details on this when we can come up for air after this next round of Dev work.

Maybe you should wait to mark it as implemented in the road map until there is some documentation to show what has actually been implemented?

Meh, its implemented for phase 1, so why wait to mark it?  Documentation is separate from implementation.  Bottom line is the feature is there, and documentation on it will be added when we can.  For those that really want to know right this second, you could look at the code...

I really just wanted to know what it's supposed to be sending alerts for at this point. I know the old alert system in unmenu would send alerts when a scheduled parity check starts and finishes. I haven't gotten any alerts from the new system yet, so I'm kind of wondering if I'd be better of disabling it and using the old unmenu system for now.

a "meh" is hardly the response I expect a paying customer that is enthused enough about your product to be using the forum to get to a legitimate question, yes there is a notification system, but if it's not configurable or sending notifications for anything then I wouldn't consider it implemented. And really instead of replying to me with several snarky remarks you could have just said what it's currently doing. Instead I get a "Meh" and "you could look at the code", Real nice... your guys need to work on communication skills, especially with all of the community developed additions you're making to unraid.

I really just wanted to know what it's supposed to be sending alerts for at this point. I know the old alert system in unmenu would send alerts when a scheduled parity check starts and finishes. I haven't gotten any alerts from the new system yet, so I'm kind of wondering if I'd be better of disabling it and using the old unmenu system for now.

a "meh" is hardly the response I expect a paying customer that is enthused enough about your product to be using the forum to get to a legitimate question, yes there is a notification system, but if it's not configurable or sending notifications for anything then I wouldn't consider it implemented. And really instead of replying to me with several snarky remarks you could have just said what it's currently doing. Instead I get a "Meh" and "you could look at the code", Real nice... your guys need to work on communication skills, especially with all of the community developed additions you're making to unraid.

Dave. I think you misread my "meh" as something that it wasn't.

All I was saying is we will provide documentation on this when we can. This isn't a final product yet.  No one is an unraid 6 paid customer yet as the product and documentation is still in the works.