[REQUEST] Mythtv Backend Docker please :)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, looks like i'm going to be moving the /Recordings mapping to /var/lib/mythtv because on a virgin install it just contains a number of empty directories.

so i can just recreate them and assign the permissions and use it as a volume, also not sure about symlinks for mythweb, but by default they point to some of the subfolders of /var/lib/mythtv , probably have to remake the symlinks too.

then that just leaves a start routine for the main backend app itself and setting permissions and ownership all round on the various apps.

sparkly...I don't think you need that mapping.  The Myth backend has a bunch of empty Storage Groups and I think it creates a bunch of empty folder in /var/lib/mythtv.  If I remember correctly, Mythbuntu mapped each Storage Group to one of those paths by default.  It doesn't look like MythTV does that.

Anyway, I mount each to a folder in a user share on my array as such:

Default:  /mnt/user/PVR/Recordings/

Banners: /mnt/user/PVR/Banners/

Screenshots:  /mnt/user/PVR/Screenshots/

and so on.

NYqyALx.png

cbS72yQ.png

QAcuaTL.png

The only storage group I do not have mapped to a user share is LiveTV (/mnt/cache/Timeshift/)

In the container template, I just map /mnt to /mnt and all of the above seems to work fine.  I even removed you /Recordings mount point.

Y74vxVy.png

John

sparkly...I don't think you need that mapping.  The Myth backend has a bunch of empty Storage Groups and I think it creates a bunch of empty folder in /var/lib/mythtv.  If I remember correctly, Mythbuntu mapped each Storage Group to one of those paths by default.  It doesn't look like MythTV does that.

Anyway, I mount each to a folder in a user share on my array as such:

Default:  /mnt/user/PVR/Recordings/

Banners: /mnt/user/PVR/Banners/

Screenshots:  /mnt/user/PVR/Screenshots/

and so on.

NYqyALx.png

cbS72yQ.png

QAcuaTL.png

The only storage group I do not have mapped to a user share is LiveTV (/mnt/cache/Timeshift/)

In the container template, I just map /mnt to /mnt and all of the above seems to work fine.  I even removed you /Recordings mount point.

Y74vxVy.png

John

until i can find a way to get mythweb to pick up those changes, /var/lib/mythtv is the way to go.

i'm certainly not recommending people pass through /mnt.

As far as starting the backend...

I just added /usr/bin/mythbackend to Startup Applications.  Works well enough for now if I restart the container.  :)  Of course I still need to start it manually after I leave the Setup program but that shouldn't be too often.

John

I just added /usr/bin/mythbackend to Startup Applications.  Works well enough for now if I restart the container.  :)  Of course I still need to start it manually after I leave the Setup program but that shouldn't be too often.

John

startup applications ?

John

startup applications ?

from the RDP desktop:  System --> Preferences -->  Startup Applications

NQ2ldFY.png

I've been running this for the better part of a week without issue.  :)

the process of "fixing it" is gonna break stuff till i can get it right.

i've got a source now so i can run tests here.

In mythbuntu anyway, most myth related services run under the user mythtv. Users have to be part of the mythtv group also I believe.

I've been running this for the better part of a week without issue.  :)

the process of "fixing it" is gonna break stuff till i can get it right.

i've got a source now so i can run tests here.

In mythbuntu anyway, most myth related services run under the user mythtv. Users have to be part of the mythtv group also I believe.

i originally started out using mythtv user, wasn't making any headway.. switched to root to get things working.. now in the process of trying to get it running as mythtv.

got it running as mythtv user now, and also it runs after exiting the setup program (have to enter password), so last piece is getting a startup sorted for the backend.

That's good because I've added this thread to my MediaBuild post  ;D

Don't worry, put an appropriate disclaimer in  ;)

got it running as mythtv user now, and also it runs after exiting the setup program (have to enter password), so last piece is getting a startup sorted for the backend.

who's riding who's coat-tails here ?

Rather thought I was giving you credit for all your amazing work, I knew you'd do it, hadn't even seen this thread, but such is my faith, admiration and man-love for you I added it to point people your way.

THE PEOPLE LOVE YOU SPARKLYBALLS - GIVE THEM WHAT THEY WANT!!  ;D

Oh, by the way, that modem I sent you, whilst packing the house I found the new plug BT sent me after the old one was recalled, will post it to you Monday, thought I'd sent you the new one, but turns out I sent the dodgy old one, don't think it's anything to worry about, didn't burn my pad down in all the years I was using it, but, bear it in mind if you start to feel a bit warm  ;)

Rather thought I was giving you credit for all your amazing work, I knew you'd do it, hadn't even seen this thread, but such is my faith, admiration and man-love for you I added it to point people your way.

Oh, by the way, that modem I sent you, whilst packing the house I found the new plug BT sent me after the old one was recalled, will post it to you Monday, thought I'd sent you the new one, but turns out I sent the dodgy old one, don't think it's anything to worry about, didn't burn my pad down in all the years I was using it, but, bear it in mind if you start to feel a bit warm  ;)

i've been making toast on it...

i've been making toast on it...

Hmmm, sure the cat used to rub his arse on that, might want to to rethink your toast making....

Latest version,,

doesn't do that schema update thing anymore...

i put an autostart file in the mate desktop environment so the backend (should) start automatically when the container does.

I know what the issue is with the backend not restarting when you exit the setup program, but it needs a scripting guru to sort it out...

i can't get any output on my kodi install, but it could be my setup as tvheadend is a real pig to get connected to as well.

if anyone wants to test, i'm afraid it's a crash and burn if you have previous builds....