unRAID Server release 4.5-beta6 available

I just built an Unraid Server using rel 4.5 beta 6 for evaluation.  I am having difficulties with the "share" feature. I created several shares using  the web based tool. When I browse the Tower from a Windows XP or Vista box, I see only "flash" and "printers". If I type the path "\\Tower\disk1" in the explorer's address box, then I see the shares listed or if I type "\\Tower\<share name>" in the address box, I see the contents of the share. Why would the shares not show up when I do "\\Tower"? I have tried this across several machines and I get the same results:(

Now I created the folder  "\\Tower\Disk1\Test" from Windows Explorer and did not add it via the web tool. This now appears as a share in explorer under the root: "\\Tower\Test" and it appears to have automagically created the share in the Web Tool.

So how do i make the shares that I created from the Web Tool appear at the root. I have already moved alot of data to them, so I do not relish the idea of moving the data.

How do you have the user shares defined...? the symptoms you are describing is what you would see if they are set up to be read/write.hidden.

Check the shares settings and see if it is as simple as that.... otherwise, it will be a folder permissions issue that occurs when the share is created.  (It is easy to fix the permissions if it is that)  If you can see the files in the shares, then you are mostly there.  You will not have to move them.

Joe L.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know the ETA for the final release?  OR what kernel it will be based on?

I too would like to know these answers.  My preference is that we roll back the kernel so my custom packages I've built for 4.4.2 still function in 4.5, but whatever is best for unRAID is fine with me.  I can't wait to be able to get temperature information and start creating alerts!

I know I could have upgraded my production system to 4.5beta, but I really need VMware functional, which i can't seem to get working with the new kernel.

I just built an Unraid Server using rel 4.5 beta 6 for evaluation.  I am having difficulties with the "share" feature. I created several shares using  the web based tool. When I browse the Tower from a Windows XP or Vista box, I see only "flash" and "printers". If I type the path "\\Tower\disk1" in the explorer's address box, then I see the shares listed or if I type "\\Tower\<share name>" in the address box, I see the contents of the share. Why would the shares not show up when I do "\\Tower"? I have tried this across several machines and I get the same results:(

Now I created the folder  "\\Tower\Disk1\Test" from Windows Explorer and did not add it via the web tool. This now appears as a share in explorer under the root: "\\Tower\Test" and it appears to have automagically created the share in the Web Tool.

So how do i make the shares that I created from the Web Tool appear at the root. I have already moved alot of data to them, so I do not relish the idea of moving the data.

How do you have the user shares defined...? the symptoms you are describing is what you would see if they set up to be read/write.hidden.

Check the shares settings and see if it is as simple as that.... otherwise, it will be a folder permissions issue that occurs when the share is created.  (It is easy to fix the permissions if it is that)  If you can see the files in the shares, then you are mostly there.  You will not have to move them.

Joe L.

That was it...THANKS Joe!!! Don't know how I did that or missed that:) I think I thought "hidden" meant see "hidden" files. Bad Assumption on my part.

B2

How do you have the user shares defined...? the symptoms you are describing is what you would see if they set up to be read/write.hidden.

Joe L.

That was it...THANKS Joe!!! Don't know how I did that or missed that:) I think I thought "hidden" meant see "hidden" files. Bad Assumption on my part.

B2

It means that if you know the name of the user-share you can type it in windows explorer to get to the contents, but the "share" will not show in network neighborhood.  I have a "data" user-share that I set up as hidden.  I use it for backups of the other PCs on my LAN.  It does not show up on any of my media players as a possible source for movies/music. (because it is hidden)

Joe L.

I did downgrade to 4.5.beta 4 because 4.5.6 freeze at least one time a day.

4.5.4 works perfectly for me.

This could be a hardware issue. Some works fine with 4.5.6, some doesn't.

It's possible, with the huge number of changes that occur in each Linux kernel release, that a compatibility issue will arise with a particular release and specific hardware components, and then be resolved in a later release.  In this case, reverting back to a previous release, and awaiting a future release is correct.

But it is also possible that a bug has been introduced with an unRAID release, but with only rare effects, and it would be good to see it resolved too.  That can only be done by assistance from one or more of the specific users affected by it.  I do understand that many users do not have the time and/or interest in helping, but such a rare issue may never be resolved, unless someone steps up, to at least provide some detail.

I would like to encourage anyone who has experienced an issue that has caused them to revert, especially an issue that does not appear to be handled yet, to consider doing a little exploratory testing, to report symptoms and error messages and relevant syslogs, along with their specific hardware setup.  A bug that only affects a few users is not likely to ever be resolved, if no one does any reporting or testing.  I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip here, just remind people of the reality of software development, especially with a relatively small user base.

I'd be willing to provide what ever info that would be helpful but will need some instructions on the gathering of said info. How are you guys doing a memory test to see if that's the issue?

I did downgrade to 4.5.beta 4 because 4.5.6 freeze at least one time a day.

4.5.4 works perfectly for me.

This could be a hardware issue. Some works fine with 4.5.6, some doesn't.

It's possible, with the huge number of changes that occur in each Linux kernel release, that a compatibility issue will arise with a particular release and specific hardware components, and then be resolved in a later release.  In this case, reverting back to a previous release, and awaiting a future release is correct.

But it is also possible that a bug has been introduced with an unRAID release, but with only rare effects, and it would be good to see it resolved too.  That can only be done by assistance from one or more of the specific users affected by it.  I do understand that many users do not have the time and/or interest in helping, but such a rare issue may never be resolved, unless someone steps up, to at least provide some detail.

I would like to encourage anyone who has experienced an issue that has caused them to revert, especially an issue that does not appear to be handled yet, to consider doing a little exploratory testing, to report symptoms and error messages and relevant syslogs, along with their specific hardware setup.  A bug that only affects a few users is not likely to ever be resolved, if no one does any reporting or testing.  I'm not trying to lay a guilt trip here, just remind people of the reality of software development, especially with a relatively small user base.

I'd be willing to provide what ever info that would be helpful but will need some instructions on the gathering of said info. How are you guys doing a memory test to see if that's the issue?

The memory test is built into the unRAID software and is part of the Boot menu when you first start up the server.  It will show itself for a few seconds after the BIOS on the MB is done.  Just scroll down the memory test entry and press "Enter"  (If you did nothing, after about 10 seconds, the boot menu would default to booting unRAID)

So, to get to it, stop the server, and press "Reboot" then wait for the boot menu, choose it, and let it go about testing for several cycles. (or overnight if you'd prefer)

Joe L.

there was someone else having this same problem re: 16 drives on the forum, i guess tom is lokoing into it

Tom, any update on this?  One user was able to add 1 extra disk (16 data + parity) but not able to expand beyond that without crashes.  Other users had problems moving beyond prior limits (15 data + parity).

there was someone else having this same problem re: 16 drives on the forum, i guess tom is lokoing into it

Tom, any update on this?  One user was able to add 1 extra disk (16 data + parity) but not able to expand beyond that without crashes.  Other users had problems moving beyond prior limits (15 data + parity).

uh-oh, I just bought the equipment to go to 20 drives. :(

Really need some help here.  My linux experience is nil so bear with me.  The problem I have is my system won't boot.  I believe it's a hardware setup issue because I could boot the thumb drive on my laptop.  The boot scree chugs along and just stops on this...

Mounting non-root local filesystems:

/dev/sdb on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,unmask=0,shortname=mixed)

What else do I need to provide to hopefully get this fixed?  Thanks for any help.

Really need some help here.  My linux experience is nil so bear with me.  The problem I have is my system won't boot.  I believe it's a hardware setup issue because I could boot the thumb drive on my laptop.  The boot scree chugs along and just stops on this...

Mounting non-root local filesystems:

/dev/sdb on /boot type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,unmask=0,shortname=mixed)

What else do I need to provide to hopefully get this fixed?  Thanks for any help.

Normally, it would be the first partition of the flash drive being mounted... (/dev/sdb1 vs. /dev/sdb)

Different BIOS handle flash drive geometry differently.  I had a very similar situation where I could boot my flash drive on my laptop, but not on the unRAID server...

Solution for me was to use the HP formatting tool to set the disk geometry, and then to use the "-ma" option to syslinux to make the partition bootable.  How did you format your flash drive? 

This page:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/USB_Flash_Drive_Preparation

in the wiki gives lots of tips on how to make the flash drive bootable.  It also describes the HP tool used to set the flash drive geometry.

You are close, you just need to get the partitioning and geometry set properly to where your MB BIOS can understand it.

Joe L.

Joe, thanks for taking the time to help.  I formatted my drive with HP software, reset my bios, unplugged all HDs, opened a beer, and rebooted.  Now it's working.  Don't know what I changed from before, but, I'm just glad I'm back online. ;D  Thanks again!

Joe, thanks for taking the time to help.  I formatted my drive with HP software, reset my bios, unplugged all HDs, opened a beer, and rebooted.  Now it's working.  Don't know what I changed from before, but, I'm just glad I'm back online. ;D  Thanks again!

If it is a new server, I'd verify the memory voltage, timing, and clock speed as set in the BIOS.  They are often wrong when automatically set by the BIOS and need to be explicitly set to match the specific RAM strips in your server.

Improperly set memory can cause any number of weird problems.  Post a syslog if you need other guidance.

Joe L.

Also, be careful about populating all 4 memory slots on your motherboard... SOME mb's don't like this and when you read the fine print, they often recommend under-clocking your sticks when you do this... i.e. an Asus 965 based MB will tell you for 4 sticks to use 667mhz instead of 800 mhz.  In reality, this often ends up being a 1x clock from the FSB and actuall improves memory performance overall !!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a bother, but, I'm using the latest build of win7 and "TOWER" doesn't show in windows explorer.  Of the 4 machines on the network, this is the only one that doesn't show up.  If I type \\tower, I can access it.  Any ideas?  Thanks again.

Running 4.5 beta 6 and I'm trying to change my user shares to read only. I select it then hit apply but it doesn't change. Is anyone else having this problem?

Also if I understand this correctly by having the DISK shares set to read write it will allow me to write to Disk1 Disk2 Disk3.... and so on. Is this correct?

Running 4.5 beta 6 and I'm trying to change my user shares to read only. I select it then hit apply but it doesn't change. Is anyone else having this problem?

The only thing I can think of is, you have to have the array stopped.  Reboot, stop the array, and retry.

Also if I understand this correctly by having the DISK shares set to read write it will allow me to write to Disk1 Disk2 Disk3.... and so on. Is this correct?

That is correct.

The only thing I can think of is, you have to have the array stopped.  Reboot, stop the array, and retry.

That is correct.

If you stop the array you don't have access to the user shares. How do you have yours set? I had them set to read only before I upgraded without any problem.

Is anyone running it with user shares set to read only?

That is correct.

If you stop the array you don't have access to the user shares. How do you have yours set? I had them set to read only before I upgraded without any problem.

On 4.4.2 I have my shares set to read only with exceptions set for myself so I can write to them and no one else in the house.

That is correct.

On 4.4.2 I have my shares set to read only with exceptions set for myself so I can write to them and no one else in the house.

How are you able to have exceptions for yourself? I didn't see any way to assign different rights.