2TB SSD by SanDisk!!!

jumperalex

Aww come on now, don't be like that. You NEED a $10,000 8TB SSD array. NEEEEEEED It!!!!!! I mean think of the savings by not using a cache drive. That's just math right there, and you can't argue with math.

You would be shocked at how I justify some of my purchases.  And I don't have to justify it to anybody other than me!  But I just cant see this one being justified yet.

Aww come on now, don't be like that. You NEED a $10,000 8TB SSD array. NEEEEEEED It!!!!!! I mean think of the savings by not using a cache drive. That's just math right there, and you can't argue with math.

You would be shocked at how I justify some of my purchases.  And I don't have to justify it to anybody other than me!  But I just cant see this one being justified yet.

Wait till they go on sale for $900 each then you get a savings of $500. Now that's math!

Right now I'm trying to justify a supercharger for my new Tundra, since TRD announced yesterday that they are discontinuing them.  But i could put the $6500 toward the new property I'm trying to buy.  <sigh>

So, a new $10k array is out of the question. For now.

Interesting. For most, the unRaid use case does not require blazing speed, but SSDs also offer very quiet operations which is a primary requirement for some. It is good to see the SSDs continue to get bigger and price per gig decreasing. Puts pressure on the traditional drive manufacturers to make bigger drives and lower prices.

I can't even hear you right now you're talking such nonsense. The bandwidth to stream 10 simultaneous 4k video streams at full bitrate is a [glow=red,2,300]minimum requirement!!![/glow]

What sort of upload speeds would one need to just stream 1 - 4K video remotely?

I can't even hear you right now you're talking such nonsense. The bandwidth to stream 10 simultaneous 4k video streams at full bitrate is a [glow=red,2,300]minimum requirement!!![/glow]

Dual bonded Google Fiber of course.

GOD! Its like you people are living in the STONE AGE!!!!  :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dual bonded Google Fiber of course.

GOD! Its like you people are living in the STONE AGE!!!!  :o

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well Dammit! Tell Google to get off their lazy butts and get that in my area! I'm tired of this stone age crap!

In my opinion, the beauty of unRAID is that I get to throw a bunch of cheap disk into it. If one fails, throw it out and replace with another.
Keep in mind that your cheap disks are all required to rebuild the single failure. Don't do what I did many years ago and lose a full disk to a second drive failure during rebuild. I only allow perfect disks to stay in my array now. First sign of weakness and they are gone.

In my opinion, the beauty of unRAID is that I get to throw a bunch of cheap disk into it. If one fails, throw it out and replace with another.
Keep in mind that your cheap disks are all required to rebuild the single failure. Don't do what I did many years ago and lose a full disk to a second drive failure during rebuild. I only allow perfect disks to stay in my array now. First sign of weakness and they are gone.

Good point. My parity drive is a brand new WD Red, but I am counting on the data drives to fail one at a time and get replaced with bigger ones as they fail.

Good point. My parity drive is a brand new WD Red, but I am counting on the data drives to fail one at a time and get replaced with bigger ones as they fail.

Regular parity checks and watching smart status is a good way of keeping track of drive health.

Check your math Alex.

An 8TB protected array only needs 5 2TB disks => 5 of these disks are "only" $4995  :)

haha you got me. I noticed that but didn't feel like fixing it. I was posting in the middle of testing sql queries so not really my full attention.

But more important is all this serious discussion in the middle of my post-of-the-obsurd.  what's wrong with You People.

That's right

I said it

YOU

PEOPLE!!!!!

;D

Interesting. For most, the unRaid use case does not require blazing speed, but SSDs also offer very quiet operations which is a primary requirement for some. It is good to see the SSDs continue to get bigger and price per gig decreasing. Puts pressure on the traditional drive manufacturers to make bigger drives and lower prices.

Pressure? 2TB vs 10TB or was it the $500/TB vs $20-35/TB pricing? I think the pressure (if any) is the other way.

PS: these are USB drives (now reaching 2TB), SSDs have been much larger for years, 4+TB/slot.