errr... Mostly Random Conversation of Photo Management

I was wondering if anyone knows where to find (or would write up) a guide on how to create a docker container with Github. I have cloned other people's projects and messed around a bit but I was never really sure what or why certain things ended up in the dockerfile. I have looked at various users dockerfiles and I really cannot find any rhyme or reason on why they added certain things. For example, certain ones match unRAID's permissions and some don't. Also, is there any sort of unRAID "standard" dockerfile that is a good starting point?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don't know if there's a specfic way to write a dockerfile, but in terms of making something more unraid compatible, the first step is to modify the user and group id's of the user nobody to match unraids and then to try and run as many apps in the docker as nobody.

if you can't run an app as user, then try and get any config files etc saved on unraid to be owned by user nobody.

aside from that, there is little to make a docker unraid specific.

the real trick though is thinking about the template in the webui of unraid and how to get the most from it.

How do you test your dockers after you create them? I attempted to write my own docker but it failed to start and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on.

i tend to build slightly differently.

i have a docker server , i do

docker run -it <baseimage> bash

and then try everything from the command line until i get it how i want it.

then i playback the commands and build a dockerfile from them.

How do you test your dockers after you create them? I attempted to write my own docker but it failed to start and I cannot for the life of me figure out what's going on.

So if I am understanding this correctly, someone needs to write a docker that allows others to create a docker and said docker will record all your commands and export them neatly to a dockerfile for you??  ;D

So if I am understanding this correctly, someone needs to write a docker that allows others to create a docker and said docker will record all your commands and export them neatly to a dockerfile for you??  ;D

lol, hell no.

it's just the way i do it sometimes. other times i just use one of my other dockers as a template (because most of the stuff there already works)

link me to the git of the container you can't get running.

I created a very simple docker to backup my kodi sql database every night take a look in my signature.

After a lot of trail and error I ended up having a phusion container to test all the commands - same as sparklyballs suggests - and that made it work much faster.

It took me some time until I figured out I can use a script that runs when the container starts (firstrun.sh) that helped a lot with passing variables from the template to the docker.

i may be reading their site wrong but it looks to me like that app generates all the things you need to display a folder of images in a html page, in the folder itself.

then you have a different url for each folder, that sounds a bloody horrible implementation to my mind.

Really... Well that does suck! Scratch that docker from my list.

i may be reading their site wrong but it looks to me like that app generates all the things you need to display a folder of images in a html page, in the folder itself.

then you have a different url for each folder, that sounds a bloody horrible implementation to my mind.

Will it include subfolders?

Will it include subfolders?

it doesn't say either way.

A little Off-Topic, but my ideal photo organizer would not modify my photos or add anything into the photo folder itself. It would save whatever files it needed into a folder I specify. It would organize by photos by data taken and be quick to view a series of photos. That's all, a minimal program that was quick! If anyone knows of anything like that please let me know! Also, it would be ideal if it would make my morning coffee...

A little Off-Topic, but my ideal photo organizer would not modify my photos or add anything into the photo folder itself. It would save whatever files it needed into a folder I specify. It would organize by photos by data taken and be quick to view a series of photos. That's all, a minimal program that was quick! If anyone knows of anything like that please let me know! Also, it would be ideal if it would make my morning coffee...

the trouble with some of these "simple" apps, they just don't lend themselves well to docker and unraid docker even less.

Maybe someone that already has a Linux VM could try out some photo viewer apps and if one of them looks good it could be made into a "desktop docker".

Which package... I haved looked at Lychee, Piwigo, and others mentioned on another thread here... Nothing seems like the right thing.

Maybe someone that already has a Linux VM could try out some photo viewer apps and if one of them looks good it could be made into a "desktop docker".

Which package... I haved looked at Lychee, Piwigo, and others mentioned on another thread here... Nothing seems like the right thing.

Those are all web. I mean something that runs on a Linux desktop. Then rdp could be added like some of the other dockers. Googling "linux photo viewer" should turn up some ideas.

I do have a linux VM I would be happy to backup and throw some test apps on it. I have just been having a hard time finding one that acts the way I want. If anyone has any apps they think might fit the bill let me know and I'll see what happens  ;)

Those are all web. I mean something that runs on a Linux desktop. Then rdp could be added like some of the other dockers.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea. So use a linux desktop photo viewer and then add the RDP protocol to allow users to RDP through a web browser?