unRAID Server Release 6.0-rc6-x86_64 Available

... the various options...

I haven't upgraded yet because I have been preclearing and now upsizing a data disk.

Since I have never experienced the issue, I'm not sure I really understand what the various options are. It would be best if we could just have one solution. Is the docker.cfg file the solution we are going with or what?

That isn't always a perfect solution trurl, for instance, it doesn't work for everyone, Sparklyballs and myself being case in point.  Tom has stated there will be a RC6a or RC7 and in all honesty, if I were you, I'd probably wait for that.

It might be a simple permission issue at this point.  If you take out all your --dns parameters and just run this from the console/shell once to fix permissions:

find /var/lib/docker/containers/ -name resolv.conf -maxdepth 2 -exec chmod 644 {} +

Restart Docker or stop/start array after this.

i really do think that you offer these solutions at the most inopportune moments, or i'm really convinced that you do have a window on my system and you know i'm doing something i can't interrupt (compiling mythtv for another attempt at dockerising the SOB)...

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well after fighting with my system after updating to RC6 I started over fresh. I am having issues getting my shares working. I had in the past 3 shares named appdata,docker and images all located on my cache drive. I do not want the mover to move them so I had them set to cache only.  I cannot seem to create them now since moving from RC4 to RC6.

Any suggestions?  Its been awhile since I setup shares so I could be doing wrong. Sorry if this is not the place to post this.

Thanks

JM

I'm the first to recognize I'm no wizard, but can get around a command line and 'eventually' figure things out. When I had a cache drive, and trying to use it as just a data drive I had to do more tweaks and configurations then I really wanted to. Then I found the plugin unnassigned.devices (which should be a native part of unRaid) and never looked back. I mount a 2TB drive and have several folders on it. Like:

appdata

isofiles

vms

virtiodrivers

and a few others. Since I don't care if I lose anything on that drive, unassigned.devices was my best choice. Works out real nice and my VMs run as quick as they can with the drive.

Can you still export the share if it's set to hidden with .appdata?  I spend a fair amount of time browsing to appdata on my Windows machine, that would be a deal breaker for me..

A hidden folder won't even appear on your shares page for you to configure it for export.

That's pretty much what I thought.  Having said that, I could just go to my cache share and browse it from there..  I might well do that.  Also will make it harder for the Mrs to access it and do untold damage...

Just create a shortcut right to it. One click and your viewing what you want. No reason to browse to it.

After a misunderstanding of the permissions fix for dns issues with containers, and on a couple of reboots now, this is working for me.

it's a kludge in lieu of LT making it a on runtime thing...

take out any --dns fixes at container level or in the docker.cfg (if you have any of course)

then reboot and after docker has started enter the following on the unraid command line.

find /var/lib/docker/containers/ -name resolv.conf -maxdepth 2 -exec chmod 644 {} +

containers are now able to resolve dns and have network connectivity

After a misunderstanding of the permissions fix for dns issues with containers, and on a couple of reboots now, this is working for me.

take out any --dns fixes at container level or in the docker.cfg (if you have any of course)

then reboot and after docker has started enter the following on the unraid command line.

And boom goes the dynamite!!

Thanks for testing sparkly!

Find path must precede expressions....

Sorry on a VPN on my phone at the moment but that command didn't run, with the above error.

i'm gonna bet you typed it out and put the -name before the path.

I'm going to bet I just copied and pasted what Eric posted..

Sorry on a VPN on my phone at the moment but that command didn't run, with the above error.

worked here, you doing it wrong , lol

I'm going to bet you're doing it wrong.  :P

You need to do this while the array is started and /var/lib/docker is mounted.

I updated to RC6 this afternoon, and all my Dockers lost DNS.  The command above cured the problem instantly.  So, that's another confirmation.  8)

Something must have borked during the copy/paste, can't reboot as wife is watching TV, I love VPN and HTPC Manager, can see exactly what's happening! (She's watching C4) She should be going to bed soon as she's running a half marathon tomorrow, I'm at work, and it looks like I'm going to be busy, but I've run the command successfully and once I'm free I'll reboot and post back..

The suspense is killing me!

Something must have borked during the copy/paste, can't reboot as wife is watching TV, I love VPN and HTPC Manager, can see exactly what's happening! (She's watching C4) She should be going to bed soon as she's running a half marathon tomorrow, I'm at work, and it looks like I'm going to be busy, but I've run the command successfully and once I'm free I'll reboot and post back..

The suspense is killing me!

it doesn't work like that..

reboot , then issue the command.

then your containers will be able to connect, they won't on reboot until you issue the command.

Is this DNS issue only happening to users using the public Google Internet DNS servers? I've upgraded to RC6 and have Sonarr and SabNAB+ running with no problems. I do have everything going through my router, which passes out my IP's and collects my DNS info. My DNS, router IP is always the same. If your ISP has it's own DNS servers why would you choose to use Google's public ones? Unless you can actually see a difference in speed, which I could never tell. Maybe for security or something?

Is this DNS issue only happening to users using the public Google Internet DNS servers? I've upgraded to RC6 and have Sonarr and SabNAB+ running with no problems. I do have everything going through my router, which passes out my IP's and collects my DNS info. My DNS, router IP is always the same. If your ISP has it's own DNS servers why would you choose to use Google's public ones? Unless you can actually see a difference in speed, which I could never tell. Maybe for security or something?

You are one of the lucky ones!  When your solution does NOT work then folks are using a number of different methods to get DNS information inside of their Docker containers.  It has become ' whatever works, I am forced to use it...'

A nice segue to letting me express my appreciation to bonienl for the added information in the Diagnostics zip file.  He's added Docker and VM logs and related files in the logs and qemu folders, and system and network info in the system folder.  Very useful!

With the invaluable input of Eric !