[support] macesters's Docker Repository

I just installed this too, and it was a breeze! Thanks for the super work!

Just a few questions since this is the first time I have done this ever:

1. Currently I am entering my external ip address as the server address, but this is gonna change at some point. So I need DDNS also to be set up. Now where do I do this? Does it have to be on my router or on the server? Cos I see a no-ip docker too.

2. What are the advantages or disadvantages of having open vpn on my server rather than the router?

3. I have read a lot that port forwarding is very dangerous. And that VPNs are relatively much safer. But we did have to forward a few ports to get the VPN working. So where does this leave us on the safety front?

1. Currently I am entering my external ip address as the server address, but this is gonna change at some point. So I need DDNS also to be set up. Now where do I do this? Does it have to be on my router or on the server? Cos I see a no-ip docker too.

2. What are the advantages or disadvantages of having open vpn on my server rather than the router?

3. I have read a lot that port forwarding is very dangerous. And that VPNs are relatively much safer. But we did have to forward a few ports to get the VPN working. So where does this leave us on the safety front?

1. Use a docker for dynamic dns. There are several different ones and they ask work great

2. Routers usually have limited processing power and ram. Openvpn running on unraid is much much faster. Openvpn running on a router, i was getting 400kbps data transfer speed. With openvpn in docker, I'm getting more than 5000kbps

3. You always have forward a port for vpn (unless your gateway is running it) and that's considered safe as long as that is the only port open

3. You always have forward a port for vpn (unless your gateway is running it) and that's considered safe as long as that is the only port open

It's only as safe as the VPN server that answers on that port. If a flaw in the VPN package is found and you don't update to patch it, then it's no longer safe.

However, it's by far safer than opening things up in general, and you only have one application to audit for security flaws and updates.

It's only as safe as the VPN server that answers on that port. If a flaw in the VPN package is found and you don't update to patch it, then it's no longer safe.

However, it's by far safer than opening things up in general, and you only have one application to audit for security flaws and updates.

I'm assuming the docker automatically updates itself! Is that adequate security?

And that's not the only open port. In fact there are 3 for Open VPN itself, right? And plus I have another open for Plex, one more for transmission etc. How does that affect the scenario?

So I have the VPN running, I can connect from my phone and I can access transmission using 192.168.0.10:9091 or couchpotato using 5050 but I can't open plex on :32400/manage or 192.168.0.10 which is the unRAID web UI?!? Why this selective behaviour?

Also, I assumed that I would be able to access the SMB shares on the server just as I can when at home but I cannot connect to \\192.168.0.10 from within Windows explorer. Is this normal?

So I have the VPN running, I can connect from my phone and I can access transmission using 192.168.0.10:9091 or couchpotato using 5050 but I can't open plex on :32400/manage or 192.168.0.10 which is the unRAID web UI?!? Why this selective behaviour?

Also, I assumed that I would be able to access the SMB shares on the server just as I can when at home but I cannot connect to \\192.168.0.10 from within Windows explorer. Is this normal?

Dont think that is the right address for plex (/web/index.html), no idea about unraid ui.

Have you routed your home lan in the route section? Do the remote lan happen to also be "192.168.0.0/24"?. (this might also be the cause on unraid ip not responding)

With questions like theese you will probably always get a better response from the openvpn forums. (due to openvpn-as has comercial support they tend to answear thoose questions a tad quicker).

1. In this case if you mean you enter you externatl ip in the server configuration, it dosent mather beacuse this is only for the certificate and since it is selfsigned the address really dosent mather. then what aptalca said.

2. What aptalca said, however the "openvpn procces" is single threaded so moore GHZ in this case is prfered, also if you have a modern cpu with "aes-ni" instruction you might wanna change the encryption to "AES" fo a little speed boost and better encryption.

3. Port forwarding isent dangerous at all, it all depends what you can reach on them and if you run a vpn on the gateway the ports are still "forwarded" or rather open in the firewall. With these home routers things like certificates/openvpn dont have the best update scheme.

I'm assuming the docker automatically updates itself! Is that adequate security?

And that's not the only open port. In fact there are 3 for Open VPN itself, right? And plus I have another open for Plex, one more for transmission etc. How does that affect the scenario?

I´m updating the docker as soon as there are updates, booth for the "os" base-docker and "openvpn-as", as for security moore secure the alot of home routers and businesses out there with that update scheme.

Well it all depends on plex and transmissions in this case...

Dont think that is the right address for plex (/web/index.html), no idea about unraid ui.

Have you routed your home lan in the route section? Do the remote lan happen to also be "192.168.0.0/24"?. (this might also be the cause on unraid ip not responding)

Thanks for all your help.

I am not sure what the remote lan IP should be set to. My server IP is 192.168.0.10. So based on your example, I just set mine to 192.168.0.0/24 I am not sure what it stands for.

Plex web ui can be accessed using http://<ipaddress>:32400/manage Am sure about that. Once you type in the address, it changes to the longer form which is web/index.html

EDIT: Apologies, I thought that I had entered the 192.168.0.0/24, but turned out I hadn't. Or it hadn't saved the setting. I entered it and now its fine. Sorry for the false alarm!

I am able to access my network remotely, but I cannot use apps like kodi remote for example. I assume these apps operate on the basis that if there is no wifi connection then they automatically drop the connection to the kodi box? I cannot even reach the web interface of the kodi box using 192.168.0.25:8080 which is the IP and port for control of the kodi box. Any ideas on what to do?

Lastly, since I am running openvpn server on my unraid box, does it also mean that now all my internet traffic is routed through openvpn and thus works to hide my traffic info from the ISP? Or that is a different feature?

I am able to access my network remotely, but I cannot use apps like kodi remote for example. I assume these apps operate on the basis that if there is no wifi connection then they automatically drop the connection to the kodi box? I cannot even reach the web interface of the kodi box using 192.168.0.25:8080 which is the IP and port for control of the kodi box. Any ideas on what to do?

Lastly, since I am running openvpn server on my unraid box, does it also mean that now all my internet traffic is routed through openvpn and thus works to hide my traffic info from the ISP? Or that is a different feature?

This is for connecting back INTO your network from outside. In fact, your ISP sees all your traffic if you are using your laptop/etc somewhere else, and connecting to the vpn server running on your unRAID. This hides/keeps you safer/etc from some public network/wifi/work/whatever where the laptop/etc might be, and reroutes all your traffic through your home/unraid internet connection.

If you want to hide/mask traffic from your unraid box/home network to the outside world from your ISP/etc, you need to be connecting to a vpn service somewhere else. I'd suggest looking into PIA for example. Most of these have a monthly fee involved.

I don't bother with a VPN, I just use a seedbox offsite to do all my torrenting for example.

This is for connecting back INTO your network from outside. In fact, your ISP sees all your traffic if you are using your laptop/etc somewhere else, and connecting to the vpn server running on your unRAID. This hides/keeps you safer/etc from some public network/wifi/work/whatever where the laptop/etc might be, and reroutes all your traffic through your home/unraid internet connection.

If you want to hide/mask traffic from your unraid box/home network to the outside world from your ISP/etc, you need to be connecting to a vpn service somewhere else. I'd suggest looking into PIA for example. Most of these have a monthly fee involved.

I don't bother with a VPN, I just use a seedbox offsite to do all my torrenting for example.

How are you connecting to your seedbox?  If its un-encrypted then your isp or anyone else can see that you are downloading larger files. From that they can infer you are possibly downloading copy righted material and start watching you more closely.

I have set up openvpn successfully on one of my servers. I am setting it up on my second server. From my windows PC, how do I add the second server's address? For eg right now when I go to the open vpn program in the tray it only gives me the option to connect to "server1domainname".no-ip.com. How do I add the second one and where? Appreciate any help!

No one?

Let me re phrase my question. I have 2 servers, one at office and one at home. I have only one laptop (let us assume). I set up a dns server office.duckdns.org on my office, server, set up openvpn using that domain and eventually when I downloaded the windows openvpn client from the web ui of openvpn server, it automatically configured my client to connect to this domain. Now I have set up another domain called home.duckdns.org for my home server which is obviously a different network altogether. How do I set my client to connect to that server too? I can't see where I can enter the second domain.

Also, on the duckdns site they allow up to 5 domain names per sign in, does this mean I can use one for office and one for home or are they alternate names for the same location?

-Got to your server with your browser and login with your credentials, when you see the page on a windows computer to download the client instead hit the  refresh button in your browser and alot more options will be avaible

-At the bottom there will be an option "Yourself (user-locked profile)" download that .opvn file. (rename it to something like office.ovpn)

-Next download the full openvpn client at https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

-Copy your office.ovpn file to "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config"

-And ofc copy the .ovpn file from your home setup to

-Restart the client

-Havent tested it but should be the way its done

No idea about the duckdns stuff dont use it myself.

No one?

Let me re phrase my question. I have 2 servers, one at office and one at home. I have only one laptop (let us assume). I set up a dns server office.duckdns.org on my office, server, set up openvpn using that domain and eventually when I downloaded the windows openvpn client from the web ui of openvpn server, it automatically configured my client to connect to this domain. Now I have set up another domain called home.duckdns.org for my home server which is obviously a different network altogether. How do I set my client to connect to that server too? I can't see where I can enter the second domain.

Also, on the duckdns site they allow up to 5 domain names per sign in, does this mean I can use one for office and one for home or are they alternate names for the same location?

Duckdns allows five different subdomains and each can be forwarded to a different ip.

I personally use one subdomain that points to my unraid server at home (ip updated by a docker container running on unraid) and another subdomain that points to an amazon aws server instance that is running owncloud for my business (ip updated by a cron script running on the aws Ubuntu server)

-Got to your server with your browser and login with your credentials, when you see the page on a windows computer to download the client instead hit the  refresh button in your browser and alot more options will be avaible

-At the bottom there will be an option "Yourself (user-locked profile)" download that .opvn file. (rename it to something like office.ovpn)

-Next download the full openvpn client at https://openvpn.net/index.php/open-source/downloads.html

-Copy your office.ovpn file to "C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config"

-And ofc copy the .ovpn file from your home setup to

-Restart the client

-Havent tested it but should be the way its done

No idea about the duckdns stuff dont use it myself.

I can confirm that if you install the full ovpn client, it allows you to import multiple profiles and connect to different servers by selecting from a drop down list.

I am setting up Open VPN on the second box. On first start, when I try to login using admin and openvpn as the user:pass, it accepts it but does not take me to the web UI. Instead it gives me an error -

Permission Denied

You are not authorized to use the Admin UI

You do not have Administrative permission

Retry Login

I am setting up Open VPN on the second box. On first start, when I try to login using admin and openvpn as the user:pass, it accepts it but does not take me to the web UI. Instead it gives me an error -

Permission Denied

You are not authorized to use the Admin UI

You do not have Administrative permission

Retry Login

Could you paste the logs?

Have you used openvpn before on this box? cleared the old config?

Tried useing /mnt/cache/ instead of /mnt/cache/user for config directory?

I will get the logs tomorrow.

My config directory is /mnt/user/Apps/openVPN

Apps is a cache-only share.

I am using the same folder on first server also and that's fine.

I dont think I have any prior install on the box. I just downloaded and installed it afresh.

Try "/mnt/cache/Apps/openVPN" thought i had these issues solved but maby not...

Apologies for the incorrect information.

The second server on which I am installing does not have a cache drive. The docker image and apps folder both reside on disk 1 which is an array drive. Is this a problem?

*** Running /etc/my_init.d/00_config.sh...
Config exists, importing previous configuration!
Checking configuration, Defaults are already set!
Interface variable is not set, Defaulting to interface eth0!
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
*** Running /etc/my_init.d/01_start.sh...
Admin username and password has already been set! Starting Openvpn-AS.
* Starting openvpnas openvpnas
...done.
*** Running /etc/rc.local...
*** Booting runit daemon...
*** Runit started as PID 42
Nov 2 21:57:26 Server syslog-ng[46]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 42)...
*** Killing all processes...
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
*** Runit started as PID 38
Nov 2 21:58:25 Server syslog-ng[42]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Nov 2 22:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[86]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 2 23:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[89]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 00:17:04 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[92]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 01:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[95]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 02:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[98]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 03:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[101]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 04:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[104]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 05:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[107]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 06:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[110]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 06:25:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[113]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily ))
Nov 3 07:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[186]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 08:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[189]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 09:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[192]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 10:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[195]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 11:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[198]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 12:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[201]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 13:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[204]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 14:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[207]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 15:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[210]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 16:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[213]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 17:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[216]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 38)...
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
Nov 3 17:55:05 Server syslog-ng[43]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Nov 3 17:55:23 Server syslog-ng[43]: syslog-ng shutting down; version='3.5.3'
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
Nov 3 17:57:34 Server syslog-ng[42]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Nov 3 18:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[84]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 19:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[87]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
*** Runit started as PID 39
Nov 3 19:42:05 Server syslog-ng[44]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 39)...
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
Nov 3 19:48:40 Server syslog-ng[43]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Nov 3 20:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[84]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
*** Runit started as PID 39
Nov 3 20:40:06 Server syslog-ng[45]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
Nov 3 21:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[85]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 22:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[88]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 3 23:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[91]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 00:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[94]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 01:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[97]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 02:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[100]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 03:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[103]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 04:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[106]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 05:17:03 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[109]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 06:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[112]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 06:25:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[115]: (root) CMD (test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily ))
tail: ‘/var/log/syslog’ has become inaccessible: No such file or directory
tail: ‘/var/log/syslog’ has appeared; following end of new file
Nov 4 06:25:03 Server syslog-ng[45]: Configuration reload request received, reloading configuration;
Nov 4 07:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[171]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 08:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[174]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 09:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[177]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 10:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[180]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 11:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[183]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 12:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[186]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 13:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[189]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 14:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[192]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 15:17:01 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[195]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
Nov 4 16:17:02 Server /USR/SBIN/CRON[198]: (root) CMD ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
*** Shutting down runit daemon (PID 39)...
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
Nov 4 17:18:24 Server syslog-ng[43]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
MOD Default {} {}
...done.
Nov 4 17:23:23 Server syslog-ng[43]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.5.3'

Apologies for the incorrect information.

The second server on which I am installing does not have a cache drive. The docker image and apps folder both reside on disk 1 which is an array drive. Is this a problem?

That looks as it should, I tried setting this up on my own disk1 to see if something messed up the symlinks and it is working booth trough "/mnt/user/disk1" and "/mnt/disk1/.

How have you setup the "appdata" share?

Could you paste the log from the appdata directory "/config/logs/openvpnas.log"

Can you try to set the admin password to see if there are eny permission issues:

ssh to your server

docker exec -it OpenVPN-AS bash (change OpenVPN-AS to the name of your docker)

/usr/local/openvpn_as/scripts/sacli -u admin --new_pass MyNewPassword123 SetLocalPassword (change MyNewPassword123 to your new pass)

I have created an apps share inside which I have created a folder called VPN. When setting up the container, this is the directory i set for config. It is on disk 1. I have set it to be shared only over SMB to public. And I have not allowed the Apps share top directory to be split across disks.

openvpnas.log - http://pastebin.com/ZHJLpMef

I telnet ed in and entered the commands you suggested, I got the message that the password was successfully changed too. But I still cant log in using the new password. The error is the same. I can see this in the log - Admin UI access denied to user admin (not a superuser)