I love me lots of ECC RAM and x64 unRAID! :)

johnodon

... 12 sticks 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R 24GB Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C-H9 FBD Server RAM ECC Reg (again...system pull) = $210 shipped.

Wow !!  You built that server for a song  :)

motherboard - 2 Xeons - 48GB registered memory for ~$435

That's about what the memory's worth by itself !!

Yeah.  Older HW but for what I ask my server to do it suits me very well.  10 dockers (and growing) + 4 VMs.

I rarely see my CPU utilization peak higher than 15% (typical is < 5%) and memory is pretty much static at 16%.

Right now I am streaming BDRIPs (lossless) on 2 Kodi VMs, Sonarr/Couchpotato/NZBGet/Deluge are doing their thing, MariaDB, headless Kodi, Emby Server, Calibre...

And this is what I see:  :D

KTKEVBI.png

I could not be happier with this config!  Major props to the LT team.  I was really about to jump ship.  I'm glad I hung in.

Nice  :)

I've been considering just what to build for a new "System to do it all" I'm thinking of building this fall ... and so far the motherboard/CPU/memory total is in the neighborhood of $1550 !!

... it's a NICE system [E5-1650v3 with 64GB of DDR4 RDIMM]  that will easily outperform what you built, but more than triple the cost !!    May have to start looking on ebay  :)

The other thing to try on network writes is bypassing the user file system and shares and use the disk shares direectly ( \\tower\disk# ) instead and see if that gives you speeds higher than 30-40 mb/s.

I always write directly to disk shares...

Perhaps that's the issue ... maybe it's only buffering writes to user shares.  Have you tried that to see if it makes a difference in the apparent speed?

I see the same speed writing to disk share.

I don't get it... do you remember anything else you've changed from default?

Have you ever tried vanilla unraid on that machine? (and did u get the same performance)

The other thing to try on network writes is bypassing the user file system and shares and use the disk shares direectly ( \\tower\disk# ) instead and see if that gives you speeds higher than 30-40 mb/s.

Perhaps that's the issue ... maybe it's only buffering writes to user shares.  Have you tried that to see if it makes a difference in the apparent speed?

Have you ever tried vanilla unraid on that machine? (and did u get the same performance)

I just rebuilt unraid from scratch.  Other than Docker and KVM, my system is about as vanilla as you can get.

I just rebuilt unraid from scratch.  Other than Docker and KVM, my system is about as vanilla as you can get.

Hmm.. I've just upgraded from v5.0.5 to v6 a few weeks ago... I copied only the minimum config files to the newly-formatted/prepped usb stick... no plugins... I'll double check things on my end then....

Yeah.  Older HW but for what I ask my server to do it suits me very well.  10 dockers (and growing) + 4 VMs.

I rarely see my CPU utilization peak higher than 15% (typical is < 5%) and memory is pretty much static at 16%.

Right now I am streaming BDRIPs (lossless) on 2 Kodi VMs, Sonarr/Couchpotato/NZBGet/Deluge are doing their thing, MariaDB, headless Kodi, Emby Server, Calibre...

KTKEVBI.png

I could not be happier with this config!  Major props to the LT team.  I was really about to jump ship.  I'm glad I hung in.

Since you've got so much CPU to spare, you should add the BOINC or Folding@Home dockers to your setup.

KTKEVBI.png

Since you've got so much CPU to spare, you should add the BOINC or Folding@Home dockers to your setup.

Monthly bandwidth allotment is my issue.  My ISP is the only one in town and they know it.

I've been considering just what to build for a new "System to do it all" I'm thinking of building this fall ... and so far the motherboard/CPU/memory total is in the neighborhood of $1550 !!

... it's a NICE system [E5-1650v3 with 64GB of DDR4 RDIMM]  that will easily outperform what you built, but more than triple the cost !!    May have to start looking on ebay  :)

Sell a kidney? ;)

Sell a kidney? ;)

Hmmm ...  How many PassMark's do you think I can get for a kidney ?  :) :)

What condition is it in? Other than one careful male owner, still producing urine reliably...

Okay -- enough off-topic organ transplant stuff !!  :)

Fortunately, I can afford to spend whatever I want on technology without the need to cannibalize body parts  8) 8)

I'd got a buyer lined up... :)

Motherboard:  SuperMicro X8DTH-iF

Processor:  2x Xeon E5530 @2.40GHz

Memory:  48GB PC10600R

Controllers:  2x AOC-SASLP-MV8

PSU:  SeaSonic X850

Cache:  3x 128GB Kingston SSDs in BTRFS pool

Parity/Data:  4TB/16TB

How many watts does this beast draw idling?  I have some older 24 bay - X7 supermicro's that are only used in backup duty with noisy redundant power supplies that pull 200 watts idling and 350 watts booting.  Does yours pull that much power?

Mine work wonderfully for backup units that only run when they are started via ipmi for 2-3 hours per week.  One of these days I am going to gut one of my x7 24 bay servers, and put a more up to date MB and CPU in them and make them work 24x7 again.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26227.0

Motherboard:  SuperMicro X8DTH-iF

Processor:  2x Xeon E5530 @2.40GHz

Memory:  48GB PC10600R

Controllers:  2x AOC-SASLP-MV8

PSU:  SeaSonic X850

Cache:  3x 128GB Kingston SSDs in BTRFS pool

Parity/Data:  4TB/16TB

How many watts does this beast draw idling?  I have some older 24 bay - X7 supermicro's that are only used in backup duty with noisy redundant power supplies that pull 200 watts idling and 350 watts booting.  Does yours pull that much power?

Mine work wonderfully for backup units that only run when they are started via ipmi for 2-3 hours per week.  One of these days I am going to gut one of my x7 24 bay servers, and put a more up to date MB and CPU in them and make them work 24x7 again.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26227.0

It's funny how many people have asked me that in the past.  TBH it has never even been a consideration for me.  That thing could be doubling my electric bill and I would never even know it.  :)

John

I had the same thought r.e. power draw => if you get a chance to measure both idle and "UnRAID max"  [e.g. during a parity check.  That's not really "max" since you won't be stressing the CPU's -- that's not EVER likely unless you start a couple instances of Prime95 in some VM's that are collectively assigned all of your cores.]

But even if you're "wasting" 100 watts 24/7  that's only 876 kwh/year => perhaps $100 or so depending on your electrical rates.    Yes, it's a fair amount of $$ ... but it's a modest expense/month that likely "hits" a lot less than the cost of buying a new, more power-efficient system.    Don't get me wrong ... I tend to buy very "green" gear -- but the economic benefit of doing so isn't always so clear.  [e.g. I tend to drive very little ... perhaps 5,000 mi/year ... so from a pure economic standpoint the extra cost for my hybrid car (Prius) will never be recovered ... but it  "feels good" to get 45 mpg  :) ]

wish i had the cabbage for that setup ::)

nice array 8)

Definitely a nice array ... but not all that much "cabbage" when you use older technology => you can buy Xeon 5530's these days for ~ 1/10th of what they were when they were

Exactly. I think I paid $70 for a matched pair of 5530s.  I paid more for the f'ing heatsinks.

I also really lucked out on the MB...$155 system pull.

You did indeed luck out on the board.  They're still over $400 most places, and even on e-bay they're generally over $300.    I assume you had to actually pay "real" prices for the memory ... or did you luck into a deal on that as well?

12 sticks 4GB 2Rx4 PC3-10600R 24GB Hynix HMT151R7BFR4C-H9 FBD Server RAM ECC Reg (again...system pull) = $210 shipped.

you guy ARE SO LUCKY to have access to something like ebay..

here is the good old RS of A tech is soooo expensive and access to second hand is almost none existent..  :'(