New Data Drive and Cache Drive

DigitalDivide

Just a couple of questions.  So I just added a new cleared data drive and cache drive.  On the Main page it indicates I have to format them.  Also just below that, the check box for Parity Check is ...checked by default.  Just curious if I have to do the Parity check when popping in a new drive in Ver 6.  Previously in ver 4.7 I didn't do a parity check right after adding a new data drive.  Is something different about version 6 since it's checked by default?

Also, being new to cache drives I'm not quite sure about a number of things.  I did some reading on other threads but I'm not sure how to set it up.

I have 10 drives and on some drives I have a folders such as TV Shows or Movies, or both.  On my new data drive (Disk 10) I will have the two folders, Movies and TV Shows.  I'd like to create two folders on the cache drive with each of those names.  What I would like to do is have mover copy the data from the folders to their respective folders on the data drive.  Is this possible?

Also do I need to install a plugin for this.? Looking around the GUI I don't see anything for this. 

If the drive is already cleared, then you only need to format it => it sounds like that's all it wants to do, so that's normal.

You don't have to do a parity check when you add the drive ...  I think you're just referring to the checkbox that says to fix any errors IF you do a parity check.  It won't automatically do one.  [in v4.7 it always did the corrections ... in v5 and v6 you can choose to do a check without correcting errors, so that checkbox was added.]

"All you need to do is go to the properties for each of your shares and enable caching. "

I think this is the problem I have.  If I go to the Shares tab, I can see all my disks including the Cache drive.  If I click a disk, I don't see anything about cache.  Just Export and Security.

Have you enabled User Shares under Settings->Global Share Settings?  It sounds as if you have not done so as there should be 2 tabs labelled "User Shares" and "Disk Shares" if User Shares are enabled.  I believe that the array has to be stopped to change the global setting.

Ahh nope didn't do that.  Just did that now.  Yup, had to stop the array.  So I excluded all the drives except the one.  It's odd, how come Apply is always greyed out.  You can only seem to click Done.  I noticed this on other items as well, such as the UPS settings.

So, how does the mover know to copy the files from the Movies folder on the cache to the Movies folder on my data drive? 

Ahh nope didn't do that.  Just did that now.  Yup, had to stop the array.  So I excluded all the drives except the one.  It's odd, how come Apply is always greyed out.  You can only seem to click Done.  I noticed this on other items as well, such as the UPS settings.

So, how does the mover know to copy the files from the Movies folder on the cache to the Movies folder on my data drive?

As long as shares are enabled; and the "Movies" share is cache-enabled, then everything is automatic.  Nothing for you to do except just use the "Movies" share (or any other) as normal.    When you write to it, the write will actually be on the cache drive;  when you read from it, it will read from wherever the content happens to be stored.

The Done button is equivalent to Cancel, so if you have not successfully clicked the Apply button then the change will not have been registered.

So I excluded all the drives except the one.

This doesn't sound right, it implies you are going to use only a single disk in your array for your shares. Usual approach is to have ALL included and NONE excluded, unless you have a very specific reason to exclude a drive.

It's odd, how come Apply is always greyed out.  You can only seem to click Done.  I noticed this on other items as well, such as the UPS settings.

The Apply button is disabled until a change in the settings is made, this will allow you to save the changes after you made them.

It will look at the name of the top folder (Movies) and uses the various rules that you have defined to determine where to place (move) the contents.

Mover always moves any folders on the cache drive that are not a cache-only share to the array.

Any folder at the top level of cache or an array drive is part of a user share with the same name as the folder. Conversely, any user share will have a folder with the same name as the share at the top level of cache and/or one or more array drives.

Any user share / folder that has not been configured in the GUI will have default settings, including use all disks and cache writes.

Also, if you want a folder on cache to not be moved, you must set its share to Use cache disk: Only. This is often done for application data such as dockers.

Instead of excluding all drives except one, it would make more sense to include that one. Include means only those disks. Exclude means except for those disks. They can each be used to accomplish what you want, but why list all except one for exclusion when you can instead list only that one for inclusion.

Also, don't use both include and exclude since it is never necessary and you could inadvertently make them inconsistent with each other.

OK, figured out why it was greyed out.  I was clicking Enter on the keyboard to select.  Once I used the mouse. It worked.

Just noticed that on the Shares tab that the cache folders how up there.  Thanks for the help!

I haven't really looked at unraid since I installed ver 4.7 as my server has been rock solid and I only use my server for storage of movies and music.  With my new hardware and upgrade to 6 I almost feel like I'm missing enjoying some of the features like dockers and vms.  But I live in a condo and only need my server for watching movies and listening to music.  I can't really find a need for any of those features.  I have a solid HTPC so no really need for streaming. 

Nothing at all wrong with just using it as a NAS => works rock-solid and v6 has finally added some basic NAS functionality that's been missing for a lot of years [notifications and UPS support are the 2 key ones].

Plus you'll now be able to use any size drives you want, since you're no longer limited to 2TB.

Archived