Critical Help Needed ASAP

coldhammer

I am running unraid 6.0.1. a month ago one of my drives in the array died. i replaced it with a new 3tb drive, rebuilt the array and everything was great. parity checks were susccesfull etc.

yesterday i got the warrantied replacement drive of the one that failed last month. Everything still showed good on the array. Shut it down, installed the new drive and fired it back up.

The array did not detect the new drive (this is not the critical part). Additionally it then showed that the new 3tb drive i put in last month was now unmountable. I thought this was odd as the smart test ran fine. So i removed the 3tb drive from the array and added it back. Unraid started to restore the disk. Today i look to see how the restore process is going and it now shows the 3tb disk as unmountable and now the parity drive has been removed from the array. I shut the array down and rebooted its now showing the 3tb drive as still unmountable and it has now marked the parity drive as a new device.

I am lost as what to do. I can not access the array data at all now. I do not understand why im having these wierd drive failures all of a sudden either.

Did you preclear or otherwise test either of these new drives before trying to use them? While it is not necessary for a rebuild disk to be clear, it is still a good idea to test.

Not clear what you were trying to do with the warranty replacement. Were you going to add it as a new drive, or did you plan to rebuild that same drive or another drive that had not failed, or what?

A drive can be healthy but still unmountable due to filesystem corruption. If parity is valid then rebuilding will not fix filesystem corruption. That is what reiserfsck is for.

Post a screenshot.

i did preclear the parity drive. parity drive has been in service for about 8 months with no issues.

I did not do a preclear on the the new 3tb data drive. but unraid showed that it had been restored and parity was valid. it has been in service for about a month.

i was trying to add the new warrantied drive as an additional drive to the array. however unraid never even saw the drive as being available to the system. (Again this is not my primary concern at the moment)

Note that the current screenshot does not show the previous state of the arrray. previously disk 3 had an red x instead of a triangle and the parity drive was fine. now the parity drive is reading as new device and disk 3 shows emulation. also note that now i can no longer mount the array. i am assuming because the parity disk has been flagged as a new device.

Screen_Shot_2015-08-10_at_12_03.12_PM.png.6ba19f6a2af6a9e295740ea64eb67bea.png

Well, that doesn't really compute does it? Can't have emulation without valid parity.

Is the other new drive connected? If so, are you absolutely sure you have all of the drives in their correct slots? Check the serial numbers. Maybe that other new drive is in the parity or disk3 slot.

Just noticed we're in the wrong subforum so I am going to move this topic.

According to your description, parity and disk3 should both be good but I'm not sure how you could convince unRAID of that except for a new config with trust parity. Even if you do that though I think it will start a correcting parity check, which you could cancel but maybe not before it had made some "corrections".

Still wondering about that other drive though. Are all these drives on the same controller?

here is exactly what transpired to get me to this point.

1. disk 3 failed (2tb drive)

2. replaced disk 3 with new drive (3tb, same slot, same cables)

3. unraid rebuilt disk 3 and ran a new parity check. everything OK.

4. a month later tried to add a new drive(2tb) to server. in a new slot with a new cable.

5. powered up server with new drive installed.

6. new drive is not detected.

7. parity still shows valid but now disk 3 has a red X and says drive unmountable.

8. ran a smart test on disk 3 everything seems fine with the drive. ran the disk restore procedure on disk 3 (still the same 3tb drive in the same location with same cables) thinking that the server would just rebuild disk 3. At this point still shows parity drive as active. Disk 3 is recognized as a new drive and ready to restore.

9. next day check to see the progress of the drive restore.

10. disk 3 again shows a red X and is unmountable.

11. shut down server, open case to check all the cables, everything looks good.

12. reboot the server.

13. now disk 3 shows with yellow triangle and says emulation and parity drive is now flagged as a new device.

14. started this thread.

drives are on three different controllers. 5 drives on the mobo. 4 drives on a rocket raid card. 4 drives on a supermicro card.

power supply = ult-v600dr

Are the drives that are giving problems all on the same controller?

yes they are. there are 4 disks on that controller.

And which controller is that?

I have no idea if the power supply is a single 12v rail.

Look at the current ratings.  If there is only one 12 volt ampere rating for the supply, it is most likely  a single rail supply.  If there are two or more 12 volt current ratings, it definitely a multi rail supply.  Usually only one of these rails is used to supply the connectors for the disk drives.  The remaining ones are assigned to other connectors-- like for the GPU card.

powersupply (12v1 = 18A, 12v2 = 20a)

Even 20A is not enough to run 12 drives all at once properly, and probably the 18A is what is actually supplying the HDD connectors. I'll bet the hard drives are being starved for power when they are all working at once to build or check parity, and adding the additional drive probably pushed it over the edge.

powersupply (12v1 = 18A, 12v2 = 20a)

Even 20A is not enough to run 12 drives all at once properly, and probably the 18A is what is actually supplying the HDD connectors. I'll bet the hard drives are being starved for power when they are all working at once to build or check parity, and adding the additional drive probably pushed it over the edge.

Or when they are all spun up at once!!!

You might also want to read any negative reviews by users of your RocketRaid card.  You may be unpleasantly surprised with what you find... 

that might explain all the drives not booting up. but not the fact that parity just completely reset itself out of the blue.

I feel this has gotten off track. My main question is what do i do about the parity at this point.

I think the first order of business is to get reliable power before trying to address any drive issues.

Unfortunately i am not in a position to get a new powersupply at the moment. The current power supply has been working flawlessly with 12 drives for almost 2 years now. If adding more drives is pushing it past its limits then i can simply forgo the additonal drives until i can get a new power supply.

That said i have important work files on the server that i need to get too. In its current state the array will not mount and i can not get to the files. My first order of business is restoring the array back to a functional status then i can focus on upgrading the powersupply and adding more drives.

You know that a main feature of unRAID is, that it is not a real RAID and you can put the disk/disks that has your files in a different computer and access the files you need? Depending on the filesystem used on your disks (ReiserFS?), it should be a linux system. If you don't have another computer you can remove the "new" disks, that are overstraining your power supply and use a linux live disk.

Of course this will only work on disks/filesystems that are still intact. If you mount the disks readonly, they should remain unchanged, so you can work on restoring your unRAID later on, when you have another power supply.

Archived