Forum Reorganization

jonp

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To add to this: I think the Lounge conversations, aside from "introductions", should still stay "storage related".  It's been my experience that free-for-alls become just that: free-for-all.  We've spent a lot of time trying to build a reputation as a friendly place to get help/advice related to unRaid, server building, etc.  I don't mind converstions around Home Theater, Video editing, etc. either.  But when we start crossing into the realm of politics, gender discussions, arguments, personal attacks and other B.S. I will entirely Bilge the Lounge - agreed?

I was just going to suggest that if you do want to support general discussions that you create a separate forum dedicated specifically for 'Religion, Politics & Socioeconomic Climate', as well as a disclaimer similar to "Egos to be checked at the door. This forum is completely unmoderated, bar illegal stuff!".

It's cleaner to not even start down the route of RPSC discussions. So I'm in support of that too.

Yeah, here are some examples of what I'd expect and see as acceptable in the lounge:

Videography and Photography EditingOther Software / Applications

Technology News

Industry Trends

New User Introductions / Q&A

Things like religion, politics, etc. are NEVER a good idea to debate in a forum unless it's on a site dedicated to those topics.

To be fair, in the past Tom has asked us to refrain from many of these topics unless they are storage related.

in particular

Video conversion, etc, etc.

A few topics have been removed because they were not storage related.

I sort of agreed with him. This is pretty much a storage technology forum and should probably focus around that.

This is just me reminding of past situations. If that has changed so be it. I'm OK with it.

To add to this: I think the Lounge conversations, aside from "introductions", should still stay "storage related".  It's been my experience that free-for-alls become just that: free-for-all.  We've spent a lot of time trying to build a reputation as a friendly place to get help/advice related to unRaid, server building, etc.  I don't mind converstions around Home Theater, Video editing, etc. either.  But when we start crossing into the realm of politics, gender discussions, arguments, personal attacks and other B.S. I will entirely Bilge the Lounge - agreed?

I was just going to suggest that if you do want to support general discussions that you create a separate forum dedicated specifically for 'Religion, Politics & Socioeconomic Climate', as well as a disclaimer similar to "Egos to be checked at the door. This forum is completely unmoderated, bar illegal stuff!".

It's cleaner to not even start down the route of RPSC discussions. So I'm in support of that too.

Yeah, here are some examples of what I'd expect and see as acceptable in the lounge:

Technology News

Industry Trends

Things like religion, politics, etc. are NEVER a good idea to debate in a forum unless it's on a site dedicated to those topics.

To be fair, in the past Tom has asked us to refrain from many of these topics unless they are storage related.

in particular

I sort of agreed with him. This is pretty much a storage technology forum and should probably focus around that.

This is just me reminding of past situations. If that has changed so be it. I'm OK with it.

I do think that docker and virtualisation has changed the playing field a lot though.  Unraid was born a NAS and that's still part of it, but it has become much, much more. 

We even have the ability to run Photo and Video editing stuff on it now..

Technology News

Industry Trends

in particular

I do think that docker and virtualisation has changed the playing field a lot though.  Unraid was born a NAS and that's still part of it, but it has become much, much more. 

^^^ this

The use cases for unRAID as a gaming machine, a CCTV capture server, a photo/video editing workstation, etc are all reasons to allow folks to discuss them now.  I don't see the harm in allowing that specific discussion in a board like the lounge.

The use cases for unRAID as a gaming machine, a CCTV capture server, a photo/video editing workstation, etc are all reasons to allow folks to discuss them now.  I don't see the harm in allowing that specific discussion in a board like the lounge.

I believe it will promote unRAID even more as a versatile appliance.

I believe it will promote unRAID even more as a versatile appliance.

Agreed.

As long as Tom is on board with it.

I only brought this up because in the past threads were removed and posters were requested to take it somewhere else.

^^^ this

I'm guilty of not wording my original post regarding a "Pub" well enough, this was more what I had in mind, a more relaxed place where we could discuss things, perhaps not immediately related to Unraid, but tech in general.

My thoughts are that Unraid is often the centre of a "system" and there are alot of ancilliary parts to it, routers, HTPCs, network music players, networking issues, cabling, television, web servers, the list goes on.

A place to discuss these things would be cool, and perhaps a little off "Storage Related" but our use of Unraid impacts on these things.  For instance, the sort of router I need is vastly different to the needs of my parents. 

Being able to come to a familiar, trusted place for advice, from people who understand the type of setup we have would be a good thing..

I never envisioned in my original proposition talking about the finer points of 20th century politics, philosophy & economics.

I always enjoy reading about peoples Unraid builds, but I reckon with the new V6 age, reading about others whole home setups would be awesome, and inspire others in the community to use their Unraid machines to the maximum potential.  So perhaps a forum or thread dedicated to not just the hardware Unraid build, but the whole setup that is connected to it..

For instance, in the last day I decided to use a Raspberry Pi that Monkeyair kindly gave to me, I downloaded picoreplayer for it, installed gfjardim's Logitech Media Server on my Unraid machine and plugged it all into a Sony Speaker, mounted it onto the back using the 5V out USB port to power, a 3.5mm jack to connect the audio out and within 30 minutes we've got an awesome little radio/network music player for the kitchen.

The most time was spent researching the picoreplayer and finding a suitable system to mount it to...

Unraid made this possible...

For instance, in the last day I decided to use a Raspberry Pi that Monkeyair kindly gave to me, I downloaded picoreplayer for it, installed gfjardim's Logitech Media Server on my Unraid machine and plugged it all into a Sony Speaker, mounted it onto the back using the 5V out USB port to power, a 3.5mm jack to connect the audio out and within 30 minutes we've got an awesome little radio/network music player for the kitchen.

The most time was spent researching the picoreplayer and finding a suitable system to mount it to...

Thanks for telling me about that. I have had a Pi for a while now just sitting around with nothing to do. This might just inspire me to finally use it.

All good except "Deprecated" section.

I suggest create a new forum "unRAID Server 3.0 to x.x" under Deprecated section and then in "unRAID Server 3.0 to x.x" form you will have many sub forms for each unRAID version.

Basically make all the old boards down there as child boards? 

Thanks for telling me about that. I have had a Pi for a while now just sitting around with nothing to do. This might just inspire me to finally use it.

Cool, the idea came to me watching the wife lug a radio around the house with her to listen to the radio or her laptop if she wanted to listen to music.  Figured I could do something better, as it supports Internet radio and all the BBC channels that we like in the UK (Both die-hard Radio 4 listeners)

Good thing about picoreplayer is it loads to RAM, like Unraid so doesn't suffer from SD card corruption if the power is pulled..  We're using a free app called Squeezer on Android to control it from our mobiles..

Cool, the idea came to me watching the wife lug a radio around the house with her to listen to the radio or her laptop if she wanted to listen to music.  Figured I could do something better, as it supports Internet radio and all the BBC channels that we like in the UK (Both die-hard Radio 4 listeners)

Good thing about picoreplayer is it loads to RAM, like Unraid so doesn't suffer from SD card corruption if the power is pulled..  We're using a free app called Squeezer on Android to control it from our mobiles..

Now you've told me about something else. The official Squeezebox app doesn't work on Lollipop anymore, but Squeezer does!

Thanks again.

So kind of a home-built Amazon Echo?

That might work, it's more the description of the main docker section that gets me.  It's worded like you only need to go in there if you have trouble starting the Docker subsystem.

Is it just me, or does it just look odd that the Docker Containers child forum is under the Docker engine forum (or maybe it's just the description of the Docker Engine forum, it's worded like that forum is only for issues  with enabling the Docker service).  Maybe it just needs a forum description change??

Not just you... I'm still getting used to the changes.  At first I thought that the repositories thread had been deleted, and had to spend some time looking for it.

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

The more that things change

The more they stay the same

-Alex Lifeson

What if I renamed it to be like this:

Docker

|

---- Containers and Repositories

Virtualization

|

---- VM Templates

Is that better?  Maybe a slight tweak to the description?

Thoughts?

That might work, it's more the description of the main docker section that gets me.  It's worded like you only need to go in there if you have trouble starting the Docker subsystem.

Is it just me, or does it just look odd that the Docker Containers child forum is under the Docker engine forum (or maybe it's just the description of the Docker Engine forum, it's worded like that forum is only for issues  with enabling the Docker service).  Maybe it just needs a forum description change??

Not just you... I'm still getting used to the changes.  At first I thought that the repositories thread had been deleted, and had to spend some time looking for it.

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

The more that things change

The more they stay the same

-Alex Lifeson

What if I renamed it to be like this:

Docker

|

---- Containers and Repositories

Virtualization

|

---- VM Templates

Is that better?  Maybe a slight tweak to the description?

Thoughts?

Well, that is the purpose of that forum, but the child board is for container specific support.  I really want to separate the two.

You mean I could have bought something and saved myself all the trouble....

I'm in the UK so I haven't looked at the Echo as we can't get 'em

Well, that is the purpose of that forum, but the child board is for container specific support.  I really want to separate the two.

It makes perfect sense, and just took some getting used to.  Like anything else there are going to be some growing pains, but its a step in the right direction.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-SK705DI-Echo/dp/B00X4WHP5E

It's pretty spendy though, but it does have voice activation, and do more than just music.  If they'd cut the price to half, I'd snatch one up..

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-SK705DI-Echo/dp/B00X4WHP5E

It's pretty spendy though, but it does have voice activation, and do more than just music.  If they'd cut the price to half, I'd snatch one up..

I'll be even more spendy on this side of the pond.... When it comes

Might be a bit "spendy" => but it's a REALLY cool toy  :)

My wife doesn't like a lot of tech gadgets, but she loves the Echo.  It's very responsive -- and everyone who sees it in action wants one.    It IS far more useful if you're a Prime member, so you have full access to the Prime music library; but even without that you can upload a lot of your own music to the library, and can purchase a lot of very inexpensive music to go with it.

... it's also constantly being improved => it can now control a bunch of home automation products.    I haven't added any of those, but if I did, we could tell Echo to turn lights on/off;  dim them; turn on the TV; etc. ... adding even more function.

The sensitivity of the microphone array is amazing -- I can say commands in a normal tone of voice from 25-30 feet away (in the next room) and it still responds;  and the sound is amazing for such a small box.