Forum Reorganization

jonp

Hello everyone!  As many of you can already tell, we just reorganized the forums here in an effort to consolidate and clean up things in a more presentable format.  Here are the pertinent changes:

Support Category

Anyone seeking assistance with break/fix support on the currently supported version of unRAID Server OS should post here.  Users running unRAID 5 are encouraged to upgrade, but support for unRAID 5 can still be found under the Legacy Support Category.

General

Questions relating to initial setup, configuration, disk errors, or other core functionality should be posted here.

Docker Containers

Questions relating to the use of Docker can be posted here.  For support on specific containers, please review the support thread index maintained by Squid here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37958.0.

Virtual Machines (KVM)

For support in configuring virtual machines on unRAID, please visit this forum.  You can also find information on pre-built virtual machine images in here.

Plugins

Support for community-created plugins can be found here.

Development Category

Anyone wishing to contribute to the development of unRAID can do so here.

Feature Requests

Post ideas for improving unRAID in this forum.  Feature requests can be to enhance existing features in unRAID or add new ones!

Defect Reports

Found a bug, spelling error, or other issue with unRAID?  Post it here so the dev team can review and fix!

Security

CVEs and other security related development discussion should be posted here.

Programming

This forum is for community developers get support on creating containers, virtual machine templates, plugins, or programming with unRAID in general.  This forum can be viewed by all, but access to contribute must be requested.

Community Category

The community category is a place for unRAID users and potential users to congregate to discuss hardware, unRAID use-cases, communicate with server vendors, find slick deals, and engage in other general discussion.  This category represents a merged of the previous Server Building and Marketplace categories, as well as moving the Lounge out of the old Other category.

Legacy Support Category

This is simply the previous unRAID 5 Support category, and will serve to house break/fix support for any non-current version of unRAID.

Deprecated Category

With the lounge moved out, this category now represents old forums that provided support for non-current versions of unRAID or for whatever reason are no longer necessary.  After a period of time, they may be purged from the forum completely.  All boards in this category are marked read-only.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the reorganisation thus far, but was hoping for a little more separation when it came to the docker boards.

support , annoucements etc...

This is definitely the place to start a discussion around that!  Would love to hear feedback on how the docker board could/should be reorganized to support community development efforts.  We have been tossing around an idea of creating a board where only Community Developers can post new topics, but anyone can reply.  This would enable approved Community Developers to add new support threads for their containers in an exclusive forum (no general discussion topics as their own threads).  Thoughts on this?

I like the reorganisation thus far, but was hoping for a little more separation when it came to the docker boards.

This is definitely the place to start a discussion around that!  Would love to hear feedback on how the docker board could/should be reorganized to support community development efforts.  We have been tossing around an idea of creating a board where only Community Developers can post new topics, but anyone can reply.  This would enable approved Community Developers to add new support threads for their containers in an exclusive forum (no general discussion topics as their own threads).  Thoughts on this?

something along those lines would be good, something to split it up into more human processible size chunks. it can get a bit tricky to find stuff in that board. i'd propose a dev new post only annoucement board where we can pimp our new dockers etc.... and a board for support with devs being the only ones to post but anyone can comment.

something along those lines would be good, something to split it up into more human processible size chunks. it can get a bit tricky to find stuff in that board. i'd propose a dev new post only annoucement board where we can pimp our new dockers etc.... and a board for support with devs being the only ones to post but anyone can comment.

So "Announcements" and "Support"?  Child boards of the Docker support forum?

Announcements = only devs can post new topics / replies

Support = only devs can post new topics / anyone can reply

Is that about right?

Is that about right?

that level of splitting things up, yes... i'm sure other people will have ideas on that too..

and some may find the restrictions on who can post etc... draconian, so a general consensus between docker authors would be good.

Is that about right?

that level of splitting things up, yes... i'm sure other people will have ideas on that too..

and some may find the restrictions on who can post etc... draconian, so a general consensus between docker authors would be good.

Meh, I think folks will understand why we want to limit who can post in the Docker -> Announcements and Docker -> Support boards.  The key is making it easy for users to get help setting up containers / apps and making it easy for authors to provide support as well as notify users of updates / new additions.

Is that about right?

Meh, I think folks will understand why we want to limit who can post in the Docker -> Announcements and Docker -> Support boards.  The key is making it easy for users to get help setting up containers / apps and making it easy for authors to provide support as well as notify users of updates / new additions.

i totally agree on the locking down aspect, i was just trying my hand at diplomacy....

Is that about right?

i totally agree on the locking down aspect, i was just trying my hand at diplomacy....

e528e6b256f69932d3c07b07379f0debc4cf3c1eb2f06361481efc7b8adc095e.jpg

In general it looks pretty good.  There are quite a few things listed in the "OS Issue List" in the legacy section that aren't "issues" or "bugs" at all ... but really just feature requests => but trying to move everything to the "perfect" section isn't a task you or anyone else has time for, so I'd say it's all fine.

I do think the "legacy" section should have a v4.7 thread, as there are still folks who post requests for help with that from time to time.    All of the earlier versions are deprecated; but I know quite a few members who still run v4.7 -- if you're strictly running UnRAID as a NAS and don't need > 2TB support it's a rock-solid system and there should at least be a place where someone can post a question.

From looking at the reorganization, I can see where the moderators are going to be moving even more posts.  Legacy support questions are going to wind up being posted in the 6.x support section even more.  Legacy support is listed way down at the bottom, and I don't think that most users will scroll that far down.  But, that is merely a maintenance issue, and hopefully it will sort itself out.

Beyond that, I do like the reorganization and think it should work great

I think that the User Customizations sub-forum should be moved under the Support one?  Having it under Legacy Support seems a bit strange as nearly all the recent posts are relevant to v6 or are version independent.

I would also suggest that perhaps the Support should be rename "Support (v6)" as it is by no means obvious that v5 and v4.7 should be under the Legacy Support area.  Legacy Support could then be named "Legacy Support (v4.7 and v5)" to make this clearer?

I think that the User Customizations sub-forum should be moved under the Support one?  Having it under Legacy Support seems a bit strange as nearly all the recent posts are relevant to v6 or are version independent.

I had a suggestion to move User Customizations to Community area.

There are actively used tools in there like Bunker, Bitrot, preclear, etc, etc that are Community development efforts.

I would also suggest that perhaps the Support should be rename "Support (v6)" as it is by no means obvious that v5 and v4.7 should be under the Legacy Support area.  Legacy Support could then be named "Legacy Support (v4.7 and v5)" to make this clearer?

I like this idea.

I had a suggestion to move User Customizations to Community area.

There are actively used tools in there like Bunker, Bitrot, preclear, etc, etc that are Community development efforts.

I like this idea.

+1 to all this. There are still a lot of things in User Customizations that are definitely not "Legacy".

I like Sparklyballs' proposition (not often somone says that I bet  ;D )  The docker container forum has become a free for all with new posts about old issues.  I think a thread per repository or per container for support would make it a lot easier. 

We all try to muck in and help out but there is a degree of fatigue when the same issues are posted in new threads time and time again.

Ask trurl about issues with the mover and appdata!  ;D

Ok, a few things:

1 - Added descriptor to category headers to indicate unRAID 6 vs 5 assistance

2 - Moved user customizations under community.

3 - Deprecated the unRAID Issue List from Legacy Support (moved the few relevant threads from 2015 into the v6 Feature Requests forum)

4 - I am going to create two child boards for Docker called Container Support and Community Announcements.

For #4, it will take some time to move all the threads there, so please be patient while we work to do that.  I need to make sure that as we move them, it doesn't break all the links Squid has so meticulously maintained for support threads on specific containers.

Also, in reply to CHBMB, we definitely want one thread per CONTAINER, not per REPO.  I think it's easier to support that way and easier for the users.

Also, in reply to CHBMB, we definitely want one thread per CONTAINER, not per REPO.  I think it's easier to support that way and easier for the users.

Good luck with that.  Of the 216 templates created, off the top of my head only around 40% have separate support threads created for each container. The remainder have the announcement thread as the support thread. 

You're going to have to convince the authors to create separate threads and update the templates (which will in turn automatically update the repo thread and the links given by CA)

I whole heartedly agree with the effort (why we introduced the <support> tag in the first place) but its going to be an uphill battle...

This also poses the question:  Should plugins be the same way as containers as far as having two child boards?

I'd like to hear from phaze, overbyrn, or any of the other plugin authors out there as to what there feelings are on this...

More like 3 boards for plugins. The vast majority of threads in Plugins are Legacy. I would really like to see this old stuff put to rest.

I still occasionally see logs from people using Simplefeatures, or one or more of the "unplugged" plugins. Even ikosa's Control Panel plugin, which tries to "help" people install other plugins, all of them legacy, most of them unsupported or even broken.

This also poses the question:  Should plugins be the same way as containers as far as having two child boards?

I'd like to hear from phaze, overbyrn, or any of the other plugin authors out there as to what there feelings are on this...

More like 3 boards for plugins. The vast majority of threads in Plugins are Legacy. I would really like to see this old stuff put to rest.

I still occasionally see logs from people using Simplefeatures, or one or more of the "unplugged" plugins. Even ikosa's Control Panel plugin, which tries to "help" people install other plugins, all of them legacy, most of them unsupported or even broken.

I concur that, a better segregation between current plugins and older ones is much appreciated. It is still happening people are trying to install outdated or non-compatible plugins, which is understandable as long as there is no clear demarcation.

We could just have 2 plugin subforums, one for the legacy and one for the v6 plugins, with one thread per plugin for v6.

Most if not all of the plugins that have been developed exclusively for v6 already follow the model of one thread per plugin.

PhAzE is the main developer still doing plugins for the v5 and "docker-shy" v6 users, and he just has one thread for 18 plugins, which has grown to over 150 pages and it can be difficult to keep straight which user is talking about what plugin over several pages with everything else in the mix.

For any thread that already exists that support multiple plugins, or any thread that has support for both a v5 and v6 version of the plugin, those can all go to legacy, and the plugin authors can start a new, single plugin thread for v6 support if they want.

The simple way to do this would just be to move the existing plugin forum to legacy, and then the mods can move the "qualifying" threads to a new v6 plugin subforum.

*** Seems I forgot about the Dynamix v6 plugins, which are not one plugin per thread. Since there is a separate v6 thread for these they can go in the new plugins ***

Ok, a few things:

3 - Deprecated the unRAID Issue List from Legacy Support (moved the few relevant threads from 2015 into the v6 Feature Requests forum)

4 - I am going to create two child boards for Docker called Container Support and Community Announcements.

For #4, it will take some time to move all the threads there, so please be patient while we work to do that.  I need to make sure that as we move them, it doesn't break all the links Squid has so meticulously maintained for support threads on specific containers.

I ask that the section names are unique, for the large portion of users on Tapatalk, which shows the forum names not descriptions when reading threads. For instance with 2 sections named General Support its tough to tell if its in the Version 5 or the Version 6 section.

Ok, a few things:

I ask that the section names are unique, for the large portion of users on Tapatalk, which shows the forum names not descriptions when reading threads. For instance with 2 sections named General Support its tough to tell if its in the Version 5 or the Version 6 section.

Unique names would also make it easier on the mods when moving threads.