Forum Reorganization

jonp

We've got "The Lounge" for OT stuff (but meant to be kind of storage related) what about a "Pub"? OT, not necessarily anything about storage at all, like a general chat, I mean by the nature of the motley crew that hangout hear it's likely to be "techy" but not necessarily.

On the other hand "The Lounge" isn't moderated with a strict enforcement policy so maybe not needed..

I'm British, a Pub is a national institution.  ;D

I'd like to see an Unraid user map, showing (within the realms of privacy) how far and wide across the globe people are using Unraid and maybe an introductions thread.

If we can make it look a nice, friendly place, and lets face it, it is.  Then it'll enable people who are maybe just curious, to come, hangout and a proportion of those may become customers.

Just a thought of an idle brain, but I've met a lot of great people on here from far and wide, I've met people from India, Canada, the USA, Norway, Germany, Poland and Planet Sparklyballs. 

I think the community is one hell of a selling point to Unraid and maybe try and capitalise on it.  If you want to see how good the community is, then go visit forums of other unamed storage solutions and the vibe just isn't the same..

Ok, chatted with Tom a bit on this.  We are going to move the lounge to the top of the list under Community and put up a new description as "A place for new users to introduce themselves and existing users to chit-chat."  I don't think we need to have a separate forum from the lounge, we just need to repurpose the lounge as a "talk about anything" forum (basically like an off-topic forum).  That said, I would ask that the mods help us by removing posts with links to illegal content or anything like that (as we do with any other forum anyhow).

To add to this: I think the Lounge conversations, aside from "introductions", should still stay "storage related".  It's been my experience that free-for-alls become just that: free-for-all.  We've spent a lot of time trying to build a reputation as a friendly place to get help/advice related to unRaid, server building, etc.  I don't mind converstions around Home Theater, Video editing, etc. either.  But when we start crossing into the realm of politics, gender discussions, arguments, personal attacks and other B.S. I will entirely Bilge the Lounge - agreed?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me, or does it just look odd that the Docker Containers child forum is under the Docker engine forum (or maybe it's just the description of the Docker Engine forum, it's worded like that forum is only for issues  with enabling the Docker service).  Maybe it just needs a forum description change??

Is it just me, or does it just look odd that the Docker Containers child forum is under the Docker engine forum (or maybe it's just the description of the Docker Engine forum, it's worded like that forum is only for issues  with enabling the Docker service).  Maybe it just needs a forum description change??

Not just you... I'm still getting used to the changes.  At first I thought that the repositories thread had been deleted, and had to spend some time looking for it.

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

The more that things change

The more they stay the same

-Alex Lifeson

To add to this: I think the Lounge conversations, aside from "introductions", should still stay "storage related".  It's been my experience that free-for-alls become just that: free-for-all.  We've spent a lot of time trying to build a reputation as a friendly place to get help/advice related to unRaid, server building, etc.  I don't mind converstions around Home Theater, Video editing, etc. either.  But when we start crossing into the realm of politics, gender discussions, arguments, personal attacks and other B.S. I will entirely Bilge the Lounge - agreed?

Sounds fair enough, I frequent a fair few forums but this is the only one I've really been active in and made, what I consider, friends.  Other than work, I go out less that the pilot light in my boiler and I certainly don't want to see my favourite forum with a load of aggro, it's because it's a nice friendly place with likeminded "Techy" individuals I come here.  :)

Not just you... I'm still getting used to the changes.  At first I thought that the repositories thread had been deleted, and had to spend some time looking for it.

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

-Alex Lifeson

What if I renamed it to be like this:

Docker

|

---- Containers and Repositories

Virtualization

|

---- VM Templates

Is that better?  Maybe a slight tweak to the description?

Thoughts?

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

-Alex Lifeson

Pretty sure Neil Peart did those lyrics. At least that is my first assumption with all Rush after Neil joined for the 2nd album. And this (possibly unreliable) internet site and others agree.

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

-Alex Lifeson

Pretty sure Neil Peart did those lyrics. At least that is my first assumption with all Rush after Neil joined for the 2nd album. And this (possibly unreliable) internet site and others agree.

pretty sure it's an old french expression... i know rush are old, but they ain't THAT old.

Plus ca change

Plus c'est la meme chose

-Alex Lifeson

pretty sure it's an old french expression... i know rush are old, but they ain't THAT old.

I'm sure Rush heard this old french expression many times, since they are Canadian like Squid. They just incorporated it into their song "Circumstances". I guess you could argue the only thing they wrote here is putting it together with its english meaning in verse form.

[pretty sure it's an old french expression... i know rush are old, but they ain't THAT old.

According to my wiki: An epigram by Jean-Baptiste Alphonse Karr in the January 1849 issue of his journal Les Guêpes (“The Wasps”). Literally “The more it changes, the more it’s the same thing.”

I was just going to suggest that if you do want to support general discussions that you create a separate forum dedicated specifically for 'Religion, Politics & Socioeconomic Climate', as well as a disclaimer similar to "Egos to be checked at the door. This forum is completely unmoderated, bar illegal stuff!".

It's cleaner to not even start down the route of RPSC discussions. So I'm in support of that too.

I was just going to suggest that if you do want to support general discussions that you create a separate forum dedicated specifically for 'Religion, Politics & Socioeconomic Climate', as well as a disclaimer similar to "Egos to be checked at the door. This forum is completely unmoderated, bar illegal stuff!".

It's cleaner to not even start down the route of RPSC discussions. So I'm in support of that too.

Yeah, here are some examples of what I'd expect and see as acceptable in the lounge:

Videography and Photography Editing

Other Software / Applications

Technology News

Industry Trends

New User Introductions / Q&A

Things like religion, politics, etc. are NEVER a good idea to debate in a forum unless it's on a site dedicated to those topics.

Things like religion, politics, etc. are NEVER a good idea to debate in a forum unless it's on a site dedicated to those topics.

Is it me, but I come here to relax, learn a bit, have a bit of banter, send a PM or two, help out the odd user, check what's new, I don't particularly want to talk about religion, politics or "deep" topics.  It certainly wasn't what I had in mind when I suggested it..  :o

Tech stuff, gaming, movies, maybe even a tips and tricks for achieving WAF with Unraid.

I starting to think my cerebral function may be somewhat more basic than others...

Is it me, but I come here to relax, learn a bit, have a bit of banter, send a PM or two, help out the odd user, check what's new, I don't particularly want to talk about religion, politics or "deep" topics.  It certainly wasn't what I had in mind when I suggested it..  :o

Tech stuff, gaming, movies, maybe even a tips and tricks for achieving WAF with Unraid.

I starting to think my cerebral function may be somewhat more basic than others...

Yeah you definitely dont want to go RPSC on topics.  The great thing about this forum is that for the most part we are all friendly with each other and do have some banter within the threads but when there's a problem to be solved everybody concentrates on the problem at hand.  Sure there have been some posts which have gone on the other side of decency (anyone remember sparklys lamb?) But those are rare.

Yeah you definitely dont want to go RPSC on topics.  The great thing about this forum is that for the most part we are all friendly with each other and do have some banter within the threads but when there's a problem to be solved everybody concentrates on the problem at hand.  Sure there have been some posts which have gone on the other side of decency (anyone remember sparklys lamb?) But those are rare.

I think it's a good balance, the banter is a positive thing, stops the place being staid and boring and fosters a sense of community, but yes, I agree the lamb was probably overstepping the boundaries, and reprimands were made and in the spirit of the community taken gracefully...

I agree with everything you guys are saying.  Friendly banter is fun.  I like that we all can poke and prod a bit here.  It's all in good fun and for the most part, folks don't take it too far.  Tom has always had an attitude around here of "let's discuss it over a beer," which is how this community has fostered into what it is.  Cheers Tom!