Recycle Bin (vfs recycle) for SMB Shares

dlandon

12 minutes ago, emb531 said:

So the issue actually appears to be the "Log Deleted Files?" option - once this is enabled the syslog starts being spammed with the smbd_audit logs again.

The part of samba used for the logging of deleted files is generating those messages.  Go to a command line and do this command:

/etc/rc.d/rc.rsyslogd restart

and see if the messages stop.  Let me know if they do.  I may need to look into a race condition when the plugin installs.

2 hours ago, emb531 said:

I re-enabled the logging, saw entries in syslog, ran the command to restart syslog, messages still continuing.  Thanks for your quick responses!

Guve me the resuts of the following:

ls /etc/rsyslog.d/

and

cat /etc/rsyslog.d/03-recycle-bin.conf

6 hours ago, dlandon said:

Guve me the resuts of the following:

ls /etc/rsyslog.d/

and

ls /etc/rsyslog.d/
01-blocklist.conf  03-recycle-bin.conf

:msg,contains,"smbd_audit" stop

When I start Unraid, if I turn on the recycle bin plug-in, the array starts up very slowly, the longest time is about 10 minutes, the array does not start successfully, I have to stop the recycle bin plug-in and reboot the system.
When I don't turn on the recycle bin plugin, the array can start up quickly in a short time. So, how can I fix this problem?

2 hours ago, dskblh said:

When I start Unraid, if I turn on the recycle bin plug-in, the array starts up very slowly, the longest time is about 10 minutes, the array does not start successfully, I have to stop the recycle bin plug-in and reboot the system.
When I don't turn on the recycle bin plugin, the array can start up quickly in a short time. So, how can I fix this problem?

Post diagnostics.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats going on with this plugin, constant changes to SMB messing with my config, i am trying to figure out what to do here.

I want to log my smb user activity, so i have configured in extra settings:

log level = 2 vfs:2
max log size = 50480
log file = /home/logserver/smblogs/samba.%m
vfs objects = full_audit
full_audit:prefix = %u|%I|%m|%S
full_audit:failure = none
full_audit:success = open

This does not appear to work because recycle.bin plugin has put its configuations regarding smb everywhere it seems, first we have:

/etc/samba/smb.conf

# recycle bin parameters
        syslog only = No
        syslog = 0
        logging = 0
        log level = 0 vfs:0

and a little lower in the same conf.smb file:

# hook for recycle bin log settings
        include = /etc/samba/smb-recycle.bin.conf

# recycle_bin
        include = /etc/samba/smb-recycle_bin.conf

A double entry to multiple configs, checking these files we have:

smb-recycle.bin.conf

[global]
   syslog only = No
   syslog = 0
   logging = 0

smb-recycle_bin.conf

#vfs_recycle_start
#Recycle bin configuration
[global]
   syslog only = No
   syslog = 0
   logging = 0
#vfs_recycle_end

Is this working as intended? Why is it incisting on being in global, why are these multiple entries leading to the same configurations multiple times?

I want to have some kind of acitivty logging of files being accessed via smb, i put this into extra but i believe the global variable that recycle bin plugin puts in many places of loglevel 0 overwrites my settings as it works on unraid without recycle.bin plugin installed.

I love this plugin and its a must have, so i really want to make sure i am not breaking anything by fiddling with these settings, your advise would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Edited by je82
Just now, dlandon said:

Reboot.  Some changes were made and the legacy settings are still in the smb.conf.

damn, my unraid is actually a production server so i cannot reboot it right now, can i just modify the files and run

smbcontrol all reload-config

samba restart

if yes? which parts would i remove safetly? the entry in smb.conf for recycle.bin i take it? and perhaps one of the multiple includes?

Thank you again for the support.

1 minute ago, dlandon said:

Remove these.

ok, but there is still an recycle.bin entry directly inside smb.conf saying:

# recycle bin parameters
        syslog only = No
        syslog = 0
        logging = 0

Will this setting not overwrite my own loglevel setting in smb-extra.conf

Just now, je82 said:

ok, but there is still an recycle.bin entry directly inside smb.conf saying:

# recycle bin parameters
        syslog only = No
        syslog = 0
        logging = 0

Will this setting not overwrite my own loglevel setting in smb-extra.conf

These are correct.  Any settings you put in smb-extra.conf will overwrite those because smb-extra.conf is included after those settings.  The problem with the ones you removed is that they were after the smb-extra.conf include and were overwriting your settings.  You hadn't rebooted in a while and the legacy settings were building up.  Normally this doesn't cause any problems, but you are changing those settings in smb-extra.conf.  This is the reason for my latest changes.

You can check your settings with 'testparm' to be sure they are set the way you want.

• Thanks 1
Just now, dlandon said:

These are correct.  Any settings you put in smb-extra.conf will overwrite those because smb-extra.conf is included after those settings.  The problem with the ones you removed is that they were after the smb-extra.conf include and were overwriting your settings.  You hadn't rebooted in a while and the legacy settings were building up.  Normally this doesn't cause any problems, but you are changing those settings in smb-extra.conf.  This is the reason for my latest changes.

You can check your settings with 'testparm' to be sure they are set the way you want.

Thanks, yes i noticed a lot of changes to SMB going on in both recycle.bin and unassigned devices :) All works now, thanks for clarifying! Have a good day and thanks for the amazing plugin!

• 1 month later...

on RecycleBin settings page i get a error message:

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(694) : eval()'d code on line 37

i remove and reinstall plugin version from 2022.12.10 but get same message

41 minutes ago, ichz said:

on RecycleBin settings page i get a error message:

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(694) : eval()'d code on line 37

i remove and reinstall plugin version from 2022.12.10 but get same message

Can you show a screen shot of your Recycle Bin settings?

i dont know why but the error message is now no longer there

when i wrote my last message about the error message, it was in the upper left corner next to the title "Recycle Bin".

i have meanwhile changed only exclude directories from "Backups/Portables" to "Data pool/Backups/Portables".

20230113_194024.jpg

6 hours ago, ichz said:

i have meanwhile changed only exclude directories from "Backups/Portables" to "Data pool/Backups/Portables".

You can only specify a single sub-directory for a share.  Look at the Help:

List of directories to exclude from the Recycle Bin separated by commas. To specify a particular share directory, use 'share/directory'. You can specify up to one sub-directory. Unassigned Devices are specified the same way using 'mountpoint/directory'. Wild cards '*' and '?' are allowed in the directory name.

So you specify 'pool/Backups' for the complete 'Backups' directory.  If you are lookiing to exclude only the 'pool/Backups/Portables', specify it like 'pool/Portables'.

I see an issue with specifying multiple share folders.  I think this should work 'pool/Backups,pool/Portables', but it looks like only 'Portables' is excluded.  I think the Recycle Bin should exclude both 'Backups' and 'Portables' when specified this way.

• Thanks 1

Since the update on 1/14 Recycle Bin is not working correctly, files are being deleted immediately and not being sent to the Recycle Bin.  I can see the parent folder in the Recycle Bin (Movies) but the actual folder/file that was deleted is not present.  Logging is working correctly and shows the unlinkat commands.  I have restarted the plugin but same issue.