Boot flash Drive

barrygordon

I have tried to upgrade to V6.  I am now in a bad place.  My system will not boot from the flash drive.  I have tried reverting to 5.0.6  and no look.  I always get a boot error.  I can take the drive and boot into a laptop with no issue. It is a gigabyte motherboard. I have tried multiple different flash drive with no success.  I am obviously off the area iuntil I can resolve this.  Any Help GREATLY appreciated

How old is the motherboard?  Some older motherboards require an earlier version of SysLinux ... but I confess it's been a couple years since I've seen this issue and I don't recall exactly which version you need to use.

But before assuming that's the issue, check a couple things ...

(1)  Look in the BIOS boot order and be sure you've got it set to boot from the USB flash drive first.    Some USB flash drives are listed as "hard drives" ... so you need to be sure the USB unit is listed as the first hard drive to boot from.    On many BIOS implementations, the "hard drive order" is a separate function from the "boot order" ==> i.e. you need to set the USB flash as the first hard drive; and set the boot order to boot first from the hard drive.    On others, it's listed as a USB device -- and you have to set the boot order differently.

You may also simply need to update the BIOS on your motherboard -- so compare the version you have with the latest one available for your board.

It definitely tries to boot from the flash drive and I get a boot error I have checked and checked all settings for the BIOS and they are correct.  It was working fine this morning.  I then powered down, pulled the flash drive, tired a different a different flash drive (8G) and that's when the problems started.  No machine I own seems to want to boot from an 8G flash drive and I have a lot of those, machines and drives.  I have one 2G flash drive and other machines will boot from it fine, just not the Tower system.  Getting 2G flash drives is very hard these days, no one seems to have any.

I am plugged directly into a USB socket on the motherboard, There are cables that go to the front panel USB sockets and I can/will remove those. The mobo only has USB 2.0 and 1.1 and have tried both. I have reset the CMOS and the BIOS.

As an aside it seems that 8 Gig flash drives always seem to give boot errors on any computer I have tried them on, but 2 GIG flash drives seem to work on all except the one I need it to work on.  By work I mean the unraid boot process (Bizroot) starts.

As an aside it seems that 8 Gig flash drives always seem to give boot errors on any computer I have tried them on, but 2 GIG flash drives seem to work on all except the one I need it to work on.  By work I mean the unraid boot process (Bizroot) starts.

Strange - I have a variety of flash drive ranging from 2GB to 32GB (including some 8GB ones) and they all boot fine.

I guess my solutions are down to replacing the mobo or figuring out how to boot from the Hard drive which is in the case but unassigned. I know there is a thread on that, but I am going to have to get out my GRUBby documents and figure it all out again. The Tower actually has a grub loader which if the HD was selected as the boot device would boot either Ubuntu or Windows I just found out that I overwrote a partition and Grub is unhappy. I am pretty sure I removed the Ubuntu partition, but it might of contained the stage 2 of GRUB.  Oh well did it once should be able to do it again.

The system reads and writes to flash drives with no issue, just won't boot from one.  The boot Error message appears to come from the BIOS Boot Loader but I am not sure..

Any further suggestion on getting the system Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H to boot from the flash drive would be greatly appreciated. Up until yesterday I never had an issue in booting from a USB-FDD

Up until yesterday I never had an issue in booting from a USB-FDD

Try seeing if the USB stick shows up as a Hard Drive, and set it to be the priority in the hard drive list

or,

try setting the boot order to be USB HDD.

Every stick I've ever used with any motherboard, the boot option was always either USB-HDD or it was listed as a Hard Drive.  Never USB-FDD

Also, make sure that the boot option is set to legacy when selecting the stick (if it shows up as UEFI)

I downloaded the latest bios flash from Gigabyte for my mobo, experimented with the boot device names and got USB-HDD as the first boot drive with the next two disabled to work fine.  I can now get back to my original task, Installing a newer bigger parity drive in a configuration that has no failed drives, two unassigned drives (3 TB) each and one empty slot. All my other drives are 2 TB. My grandson is happy as he will start getting 2TB drives shortly.

Where can I find info on installing a newer bigger parity drive under unRaid 6.1.3.  One of the drives has been pre-cleared and one not.  I do not think pre-clearing has any advantage for it is to become the Parity drive, so I am planning on installing the Raw drive as the new parity drive.

While doing all this work I managed to blow one of two redundant power supplies. When I built the system I put in dual Redundant hot-swappable Power supplies for a total power capacity of 1000 watts. 500 keeps the system happy.  List price on those puppies are $278 each, but I found them used re-furbished for half that with a 1-year warranty. 

Can anyone point me to the parity upgrade instructions so I don't have to search?  I am not lazy, just tired. I don't sleep when things in my environment are not working!!

Technically, the only time a drive must be cleared is when it will be added as a new data drive. This is so parity will remain valid, since a clear disk (all zeroes) has no effect on parity. If you don't preclear in this case, then unRAID will take the array offline while it clears the disk.

For other cases, such as a new parity drive, I and many others always preclear any new disk just so it can be thoroughly tested. Parity and each data drive must be reliable for every bit on the disk, since every bit of all drives are required to rebuild a failed drive.

Archived