Plex

syleron

Hello,

I just setup a trial copy of unRAID and I'm trying to get Plex to work. As soon as I open the webUI for plex I get the following "You do not have permission to access this server." and non of my media shows.

Any idea on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

You haven't given us any details that would allow us to even try to guess what you have done. Are you trying to run plex on your server? How did you install it?

Sorry, I'll do my best to explain more. I enabled docker on the server and installed PLEX using the image provided by unRAID.

Yes, I clicked on the icon within the unRAID UI to open the PLEX UI. Once the PLEX UI has opened I'm asked to login with my PLEX account details. Once I'm logged in all seems okay except for the fact that on the left panel it reads "You do not have permission to access this server."

/config    /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver

/Videos  /mnt/disk1/videos

Yes, I clicked on the icon within the unRAID UI to open the PLEX UI. Once the PLEX UI has opened I'm asked to login with my PLEX account details. Once I'm logged in all seems okay except for the fact that on the left panel it reads "You do not have permission to access this server."

/config    /mnt/user/appdata/plexmediaserver

Seems to be a lot of google results for "plex you don't have permission to access this server". Have you looked at them?

This does not look right to me.  Shouldn't it be /mnt/user/videos?  From memory (I am not near unRAID box now), that is how my video share is mapped.

No reason this couldn't work assuming you actually have videos there and only want to access them on that drive. When you set yours up did actually understand volume mapping or did you just follow somebody else.

Do you have a complex network?  For first time setup, Plex requires that the Plex server and the computer accessing Plex be on the same subnet.

This does not look right to me.  Shouldn't it be /mnt/user/videos?  From memory (I am not near unRAID box now), that is how my video share is mapped.

No reason this couldn't work assuming you actually have videos there and only want to access them on that drive. When you set yours up did actually understand volume mapping or did you just follow somebody else.

If a movie was somehow split between disk1 and disk2, a mapping to /mnt/disk1/videos (in Plex) would not allow the movie to play correctly.  I always use "user" mappings and it has always worked.  I have unRAID 6 and the Limetech Plex docker installed (as of 5 days ago) and it works fine. 

Do you have a complex network?  For first time setup, Plex requires that the Plex server and the computer accessing Plex be on the same subnet.

Nope. I just realized my mistake.

I was getting access denied because I did XXX.XXX.XX.XX:32400 instead of XXX.XXX.XX.XX:32400/web

... lol.

I have a completely uncomplex network

If a movie was somehow split between disk1 and disk2, a mapping to /mnt/disk1/videos (in Plex) would not allow the movie to play correctly.  I always use "user" mappings and it has always worked.  I have unRAID 6 and the Limetech Plex docker installed (as of 5 days ago) and it works fine.

I definitely recommend user mappings, except for /mnt/cache/appdata for the cache-only appdata. Other than appdata I never let any of my apps or any of my users know anything about disks.

I just meant there was no reason his mappings should cause the immediate issue he was having. And wouldn't cause any issues at all as long as disk1 was all he wanted to use.

Thank you! This was the issue and managed to resolve it by accessing my plex server over the same subnet.

I definitely recommend user mappings, except for /mnt/cache/appdata for the cache-only appdata. Other than appdata I never let any of my apps or any of my users know anything about disks.

I just meant there was no reason his mappings should cause the immediate issue he was having. And wouldn't cause any issues at all as long as disk1 was all he wanted to use.

disk1 did work in the end but as suggested I have updated my mappings.

Cheers !

Most home networks have a single subnet, where all the IP addresses are something like 192.168.1.x.  When everything is on the same subnet you won't have any issues setting up Plex (assuming a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, which is most common)

If some devices are on 192.168.1.x while others are on 192.168.2.x or 10.0.0.x then you would have multiple subnets.  In that case, you would need to move your computer to the same subnet that the Plex server is on so you could do the initial Plex setup.

Actually, another option would be to add the second subnet to the allowedNetworks setting in your Preferences.xml file:

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201105343-Advanced-Server-Settings

but it is probably easier to put the systems on the same subnet.

Archived