[Support] binhex - Emby

• 4 weeks later...

I have a similar issue where ANY transcode causes a solid pink screen.

From what I've been able to piece together, the issue is having to do with ffmpeg and the fact that Binhex's Emby container is written in Arch. The latest ffmpeg is v 5.1 and the Arch repos are still using 4.8 or something similar. This is causing the transoding errors and until the Arch repo is updated with the latest ffmpeg, the problem will persist. I THINK there is a way to manually update the ffmpeg version but that's above my pay grade.

I have also heard that this isn't the first time this container has had this issue. Do to the container being built with Arch it seems to me this issue will happen again.

All this info is what I've managed to gather from the few sources I've been able to find regarding this issue. If any of my information is wrong, please correct me.

9 hours ago, jtownmassacre said:

the issue is having to do with ffmpeg and the fact that Binhex's Emby container is written in Arch. The latest ffmpeg is v 5.1 and the Arch repos are still using 4.8 or something similar.

Not true, Arch tend to include bleeding edge stable releases and this image is no different, it includes ffmpeg 6.1.1, from the container:-

ffmpeg version n6.1.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2023 the FFmpeg developers

What is causing your issue i'm not sure, but its definitely not due to out of date ffmpeg.

• Like 1
On 2/14/2024 at 3:33 PM, Emneth Design said:

I'm on version 4.8.1.0 and unraid 6.12.6 and since the update getting ffmeg errors when transcoding with my RTX 3060 "Too many packets buffered for output stream 1:1" any ideas? Can the settings be changed does anyone know and if so.. how? :)

A quick google search reveals that this sort of error is most common due to bad source file, does this happen with ALL files or just the odd one?.

8 hours ago, binhex said:

Not true, Arch tend to include bleeding edge stable releases and this image is no different, it includes ffmpeg 6.1.1, from the container

I stand corrected. That info came from the Emby forums with a few people pointing the finger at the ffmpeg version being the issue. Someone even stated they manually updated to the latest ffmpeg and it started working again, so I'm at a loss as to what exactly the issue is. A google search does reveal others having the same/similar issue as me but the info is limited and wanting.

If anyone has any advice for me as to how to get H.W. transcoding back it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't figure it out in the next couple of weeks, it's going to force me to switch to a different container and I want to avoid that if I can.

2 hours ago, jtownmassacre said:

I stand corrected. That info came from the Emby forums with a few people pointing the finger at the ffmpeg version being the issue. Someone even stated they manually updated to the latest ffmpeg and it started working again, so I'm at a loss as to what exactly the issue is. A google search does reveal others having the same/similar issue as me but the info is limited and wanting.

If anyone has any advice for me as to how to get H.W. transcoding back it would be greatly appreciated. If I can't figure it out in the next couple of weeks, it's going to force me to switch to a different container and I want to avoid that if I can.

Ah had time to do some more digging, so looks like there are two versions of ffmpeg included, emby-ffmpeg and ffmpeg, and its the former that needs to be updated, so i have contacted the upstream dev about the issue, hopefully he should pick up my message and if he agrees then should bump the package version and i can then rebuild and we should be good.

• Thanks 1

Devs will have to confirm but @Lukeis this the correct ffmpeg for 4.8.1.0 on this platform?  Shouldn't it be 5.1?

12:01:11.196 ffmpeg version 5.0.0-emby_2022_05_07-spc Copyright (c) 2000-2022 the FFmpeg developers and softworkz for Emby LLC

Now that you mention the two versions of ffmpeg, It was indeed the "emby" version people were referring to. I'm sorry I didn't clarify that in my previous post.

25 minutes ago, binhex said:

Ah had time to do some more digging

I can't thank you enough for all you do for me and the community as a whole. Also, I really appreciate your timely response to this particular issue I'm (and a few others) facing! I love you containers and if one is available, I will use it for a sort of "standardized" folder mapping scheme.

Edited by jtownmassacre
typo
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2024 at 1:59 PM, jtownmassacre said:

Hello, I'm having the same issues with the pink screen no matter which video I attempt to transcode. Has there been a fix yet? I'm on the latest docker.

Edited by Mrtj18
Change
Any updates? People are leaving your container because of this.
I'm waiting on the upstream update, if it doesn't happen by the end of this week then I shall have to compile it myself and include in the build

Sent from my 22021211RG using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2