[Plug-In] Hotplug USB for Virtual Machines

1 hour ago, ms4sman said:

Did anything ever come of this, Squid? Just found this plugin today and while it's working for me so far, I'm curious if you ever came up with anything script or new plugin wise?

There is a WIP script in the additional scripts for user scripts plugin page, but ultimately its a major kludge and not a real workable system.  Haven't thought about it since (ie: doing things like udev's instead)

2 hours ago, Squid said:

There is a WIP script in the additional scripts for user scripts plugin page, but ultimately its a major kludge and not a real workable system.  Haven't thought about it since (ie: doing things like udev's instead)

It's not that bad and is working well for me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When I try to assign any device by Libvirt Hotplug USB, I have this error:

error: Failed to attach device from /tmp/libvirthotplugusb.xml
error: internal error: No free USB ports

I have to shut down my VM, assign the device (and re-modify my XML for video firmware for my passthrough by doing that), and there I have my functional device.

An idea to correct that?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to implement a feature that can add keyboards and mouse to a VM through bus and device ID. I have multiple keyboards and mouse with the same product name. This would greatly help out with my current rig. I have 6 razer keyboards and mouse and they abruptly disconnect and change device id number. So, in order for me to bind the keyboard/mouse back to the VM I would have to shut down the VM and change in XML. I'm using this RIG for gaming you can see that turning off the rig is a major inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Brennan Pinette

Is it possible to implement a feature that can add keyboards and mouse to a VM through bus and device ID. I have multiple keyboards and mouse with the same product name. This would greatly help out with my current rig. I have 6 razer keyboards and mouse and they abruptly disconnect and change device id number. So, in order for me to bind the keyboard/mouse back to the VM I would have to shut down the VM and change in XML. I'm using this RIG for gaming you can see that turning off the rig is a major inconvenience.

Thanks, 

Brennan Pinette
If you go to Tools/System Devices and look at your usb devices. Libvirt uses the ID. So you need devices with different ID's (not to be confused with usb bus and device id). Unless you can add different usb controllers and pass them through.
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, dlandon said:

This plugin has stopped working with 6.5.0-rc6.  Nothing shows on the webgui.  I would like to see this plugin working.  Is the author available to get this plugin working again?

You can do the same thing via the GUI on rc6.  I've deprecated the plugin for rc6+ since its functionality is now included in the base OS

43 minutes ago, Squid said:

You can do the same thing via the GUI on rc6.  I've deprecated the plugin for rc6+ since its functionality is now included in the base OS

Not really.  I have made some custom edits to my VMs and they will be removed on every edit as far as I can see.  I'd prefer it if you wouldn't deprecate this plugin.

40 minutes ago, dlandon said:

Not really.  I have made some custom edits to my VMs and they will be removed on every edit as far as I can see.  I'd prefer it if you wouldn't deprecate this plugin.

ln -s /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/include /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix.vm.manager/classes

19 minutes ago, bshakil said:

Sorry guys. I am still using stable unraid release. If you want i can give u access on git so you can contribute a fix. And if you want to fork it you can go ahead with that as well. 

I'll fork it and publish an updated plugin that will fix the current issue and be backwards compatible.  I can then publish the changes myself without you having to get involved.

I'm not sure where this plugin will end up because of the hot plug capability LT is building into unRAID, but at least it will continue to work.

Being compatible will keep the @pluginCop happy.

• Like 1

I've forked this plugin and made a fix to be compatible with 6.5.  It is still backwards compatible to version 6.1.  If you'd like the new version, remove this version and then install the forked version from CA.  Just look for 'hotplug'.  This version will be marked as incompatible with 6.5 and later versions and FCP will note that.

Link to new support thread:

The @pluginCop should be happy now.  I just hate to annoy him.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
27 minutes ago, unRaide said:

Hi, trying to use this plugin to pass an iPhone XS through USB to a macOS High Sierra VM I created using @SpaceInvaderOne's tutorial.

On the VM page the phone shows up in the dropdown as an "iPhone 4/5/6" and says "successful" when passing it through however it doesn’t show up in the macOS in iTunes?

Iphone was the main reason i wrote this plugin. You have to attach/detach multiple times for Iphone to work. 

16 minutes ago, bshakil said:

Iphone was the main reason i wrote this plugin. You have to attach/detach multiple times for Iphone to work. 

Thanks for the quick response @bshakil! Is there any specific order/steps that I need to follow when attaching/detaching? 

I've tried several different incantations numerous time with no success. Tried different USB ports as well... the phone shows the charging symbol but doesn’t want to connect. 

sc_20181231_152611_265.png

Edited by unRaide
  • Squid locked this topic