Reinstalling but keeping array

So im wondering if its possible to reinstall unRAID from scratch, ie wiping the flash drive and downloading a fresh copy and starting over. Checked wiki and forums, some say yes, some say no. Quite vague information is all i can really find and im not up for risking my data.

Reasons for reinstalling is that unRAID is just causing so many issues right now i just want to nuke and start over. It will not shut down without a hard reset, dockers randomly loose file permissions resulting in me having to run the new permissions utility at least 5 times a day, array often crashes or freezes. Over my time with it, i have made many tweaks to the go file, upgraded, downgraded, swapped hardware and at this point i think it would just be faster to just start over rather than backtrack every tweak, plugin, addon, docker, etc to see where something is slightly wrong.

My only concern is that i want to keep my existing array without losing data. Will unRAID just import its old array or do i need to grab some files and put them on the fresh install if its possible? I cant really dump the array anywhere because i dont have 9TB of storage laying around to use

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Possible - did it few days ago - and yes, you can keep your array.

The reason was also some strange behavior with the sleep plugin - but it dosnt help so far.

Its thus not sure if the reinstall helps. In my case the sleep plugin seems to have some asynchronity with the disks - dont know why.

Normaly, bevor the sleep plugin puts the machine to sleep, it spun up all disks and then went to sleep. Since a few weeks, it dosnt do this enymore.

Ok - back to topic: Only REALLY IMPORTANT thing is: Make a Screenshot of your MainPage because after new install you have to allocate all disks to the original slot by hand - the most important is the parity-disk. Parity MUST BE on the SAME place as bevore.

Ok - back to topic: Only REALLY IMPORTANT thing is: Make a Screenshot of your MainPage because after new install you have to allocate all disks to the original slot by hand - the most important is the parity-disk. Parity MUST BE on the SAME place as bevore.

Also all of your config for your shares (split levels, includes and excludes, etc) will be lost, the shares themselves will be automatically recreated with default settings. Obviously all the system settings you've changed like notifications and spin down delay / scheduler will need to be reset as well.

• Like 1

I've created a wiki page to help with this ->  Files on v6 boot drive  (it's brand new, *might* have mistakes)

But don't use it without the comments and warnings from the thread trurl links to.  I probably should add the info and warnings to the wiki.

Nicely done. :)

Can I propose two honorable additions?

'/syslinux/sylinux.cfg-'

restores the "factory settings", is invoked from the GUI when Default is clicked under Syslinux Configuration. Do not edit this file manually.

'/config/plugins-error'

this folder holds the plugins (.plg file) which failed to install on system start up. The original .plg file is moved to this folder and won't be installed upon a next system startup.

I've created a wiki page to help with this ->  Files on v6 boot drive  (it's brand new, *might* have mistakes)

But don't use it without the comments and warnings from the thread trurl links to.  I probably should add the info and warnings to the wiki.

Nicely done. :)

Can I propose two honorable additions?

'/syslinux/sylinux.cfg-'

restores the "factory settings", is invoked from the GUI when Default is clicked under Syslinux Configuration. Do not edit this file manually.

'/config/plugins-error'

this folder holds the plugins (.plg file) which failed to install on system start up. The original .plg file is moved to this folder and won't be installed upon a next system startup.

Really appreciate it, thank you!  I was hoping for some additions, and some proofing!

I've now added these, and a new section called Starting Over, designed to help users wanting to 'start over', restart their unRAID server afresh but not necessarily lose all assignments or settings.  I'd really appreciate anyone willing to take the time to proofread it, tell me what's missing or needs correction, especially because there's quite a bit of detail and a large part (files and folders) must be 100% typo-free.

Worked perfectly, ended up keeping my go file for some custom network binds and ensuring that all disks were in the right place so no data was lost.

Only thing i had to do was set all shares to use cache drives again and that was pretty much it.

Running much more stable now, excellent work on the wiki page. Hell, even my array is performing almost double its old speed in some cases! Something must have been really wrong with my old install.

• 3 years later...
On 5/27/2016 at 5:14 PM, Kuroyukihimeeee said:

Worked perfectly, ended up keeping my go file for some custom network binds and ensuring that all disks were in the right place so no data was lost.

Only thing i had to do was set all shares to use cache drives again and that was pretty much it.

Running much more stable now, excellent work on the wiki page. Hell, even my array is performing almost double its old speed in some cases! Something must have been really wrong with my old install.

What would happen to the installed dockers? Will I need to reinstall them and configure them from scratch?

• 4 years later...
29 minutes ago, Dick Dawson said:

this thread is now kinda useless as its wiki is gone so the instruction are also gone. Just saying. 

Many 4 year old threads (more like 8 years old actually) aren't going to have the most up-to-date information, of course. Do you need help with something?