Device disabled

steve1977

Still a few answers to previous questions:

Do you have your SATA cables bundled? If so don't.

Not sure what you mean by "bundled", but probably yes. I am using a cable such as below (not exactly the same, but alike) and the four cables hold together via some white stripe to be tidy (don't know the name, but you may know what I mean?).

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10254&cs_id=1025406&p_id=8186&seq=1&format=2

What is the exact model of your power supply?

Corsair AX860

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/ax860-atx-power-supply-860-watt-80-plus-platinum-certified-fully-modular-psu

When you assigned your disks without parity, that was effectively a New Config since your super.dat didn't have any. But when you added parity, that was not new and it just wanted to sync parity.

If you New Config with a parity drive, it would give you the chance to tell it to trust parity and not rebuild it. As I said, a moot point since parity is out of sync now.

Do you have another port you could try the problem disk on?

Do you have another port you could try the problem disk on?

I was just thinking of this 5min ago and tried it out. It looks like it may be working and my data are safe. Won't declare victory too early and probably will take a few hours to figure whether this indeed works.

Let me think about the next step though. I have changed the cabling twice before (for the same "Unraid issue"). The last time, I even had it done by an IT professional and it should have been nicely done.

Is Unraid more sensitive to loose cables or not 100% perfect cables compared to just running the disks without Unraid?

Any idea how I can further improve the cabling to put the port in work again?

...Is Unraid more sensitive to loose cables or not 100% perfect cables compared to just running the disks without Unraid?...

Running the disks with what instead of unRAID? What are you comparing it to? unRAID is trying to protect your data instead of just ignoring problems.

Is Unraid more sensitive to loose cables or not 100% perfect cables compared to just running the disks without Unraid?

Not at all.  The difference is that unRaid vs something like Windows actually cares about data integrity and lets you know when there is a problem. 

This is not a criticism to Unraid, but trying to understand what is the reason for this port/disk being disabled in Unraid. The comparison would be not to use any form of raid/protection.

Shall I "switch" the cable again? Or any other idea what could be the root cause?

This is not a criticism to Unraid, but trying to understand what is the reason for this port/disk being disabled in Unraid. The comparison would be not to use any form of raid/protection.

Shall I "switch" the cable again? Or any other idea what could be the root cause?

unRaid only disables a disk when a write to it actually fails.  Cables are the primary cause.  This also potentially includes using latching cables on many models of WD drives that do not support latching cables (I have yet to see a latching cable that includes the internal "bump" that non latching cables have)

Other causes are bad drives, poor power distribution, bad ports.

Additionally, some marvel controllers have issues with IOMMU being enabled within the BIOS.

Also possible is using tie-straps on sata cables -> too tight and it changes their electrical characteristics, and as a general rule only very well shielded cables should be tied together, and with sata cables most people go for the cheap ones -> after all, a cable is a cable right?  Additionally, tying data cables to power cables.  Although these last common mistakes tend to induce CRC errors which should get retried numerous times until they succeed.

This also potentially includes using latching cables on many models of WD drives that do not support latching cables (I have yet to see a latching cable that includes the internal "bump" that non latching cables have)

"Latching" means to have a small silver clip to click in? My faulty disk/port does not have such a cable, but one that does not "click in". Other working ports use such cables with a silver clip. So, this can be ruled out as cause?

Additionally, some marvel controllers have issues with IOMMU being enabled within the BIOS.

I am using the suggested M1015. So, this can be ruled out as well?

Also possible is using tie-straps on sata cables -> too tight and it changes their electrical characteristics, and as a general rule only very well shielded cables should be tied together,

I can cut off the tie-straps. Makes it look a bit messier, but don't care too much. So, let me do this.

and with sata cables most people go for the cheap ones -> after all, a cable is a cable right?

I paid a fortune for the cable last time, but bought it off an IT professional who potentially ripped me off by making a huge margin. Will be hard to tell.

Additionally, tying data cables to power cables.  Although these last common mistakes tend to induce CRC errors which should get retried numerous times until they succeed.

Not tied together in my setup.

So, what I can do concretely is to cut off the tie-straps and see whether this improves things. Also thinking to yet again buy new cables, but not sure whether this changes anything?

I can use the now empty port (which was faulty) to pre-clean a disk. I'd assume if pre-cleaning runs through without issues, the port should be good to use again?

• 2 weeks later...
So, what I can do concretely is to cut off the tie-straps and see whether this improves things. Also thinking to yet again buy new cables, but not sure whether this changes anything?

I can use the now empty port (which was faulty) to pre-clean a disk. I'd assume if pre-cleaning runs through without issues, the port should be good to use again?

I have cut off the tie straps and bought a new WD Red disk to rule out "auto-park" as the issue.

I have now placed the new disk in the port, which had previously an issue (in the meantime, I had built a new array without that port).

The new disk shows as unassigned as expected. I would prefer not to add them to the array right away, but format and pre-clear first. Is this possible?

Archived