Where to get Linux ISOs?

Ned

I've been using Windows VMs in unRAID for quite a while now and would like to try creating a Linux VM.  I know nothing about Linux.  The application I want to run requires a "Other Linux (x64)" according to vSphere where it is currently running on ESXi on a different box.  The application comes in the form of an .iso file.

If I want to create the same thing on unRAID, I have the following questions:

1) In the VM Template settings - do I choose "Linux" as the operating system?

2) Where can I download the required OS Install ISO?

3) Once I get the VM created and running, how do I go about installing the application .iso?

Thank you.

The main problem with Linux is deciding which distro to use.

Ubuntu & Linux Mint are two popular distros with those starting out.  Once you've decided on that, then you have to decide which desktop environment you want to run on that distro, as a lot of distros, including the two above, come in different "flavours" with different desktop environments.

So Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Gnome, Lubuntu (LXDE), Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (XFCE), Mint Cinammon,  Mint Mate

The bold bits refer to the desktop environment.  It's a bit overwhelming at first, and I've tried god knows how many different distros and desktop environments, before eventually just sticking to regular Ubuntu, (Unity)

Regular Ubuntu with Unity

Ubuntu "flavours"

Linux Mint (Cinnamon, Mate, XFCE Desktop Environments)

ElementaryOS is also a distribution based on Ubuntu and kind of has a MacOS feel to it, that is pretty beginner friendly.

There are many other popular distros, Arch springs to mind, but both Ubuntu and Mint are beginner friendly and have stable, long term support releases, Arch works on a rolling release schedule, and is not quite so beginner friendly, although Manjaro is a Linux distro that is based on Arch and is a kind of a "ready to use Arch out the box" release.  The rolling release strategy vs long term support releases is a difficult one, LTS focuses on stability at the expense of being up to date with the current Linux Kernel release, but the rolling release can result in things breaking with updates, personally for a beginner I'd stick to an LTS release.

And beware.  Linux users are a bit like religious zealots, and are somewhat precious about the "best" distro and the "best" desktop environment.  I'm half expecting several people to reply to my post telling me why my opinion is wrong, and why you should use something else..... ;D

And beware.  Linux users are a bit like religious zealots, and are somewhat precious about the "best" distro and the "best" desktop environment.  ;D

Why would you need a desktop environment if you've got the command line?

Point proved....  ::)

Thanks everyone.  I don't need a desktop at all.  Just need command line so I can load the ISO for the application I want to use and that app will be all I will ever access on the VM.

Give that use case, what is the best distro to use?

Archived