Supermicro X7SPA L/H/HF ATOM serverboards (Level 1 Tested)

I've just built an unRaid server using one of these boards and am very pleased with the results but with one exception: when performing a cold boot, the board spends around 60s "waiting for initialisation" before searching for any boot devices. This doesn't happen from a warm boot. I have set the fast boot option in the bios and USB as the first boot device. Once the init is complete the board detects the USB & HDDs fine and no further delays are experienced...

... Has anyone else experienced this?

Neil, you mention that you aren't using "headless boot" as your current mode of operation.  If that is the case, go into the BIOS and disable IPMI.  IPMI has a heartbeat tied to eth0, and it will always be active even when the system is completely turned off, because it's waiting for a remote signal.  That's the only thing I can think of that might add to your cold boot times.  Then again, how often are you shutting this thing completely down?  Mine is up 25/7.  ;D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm putting together my first Unraid machine using the HF version of this board.  I'm moving from a NASLite box because I've run out of chickens to sacrifice and decided I need a solution that provides redundancy (while still avoiding traditional RAID).

I've never used IPMI before, and I freaking love it!  I haven't read any instructions yet  ;D but I connected the board up with an Unraid prepared USB stick in the internal USB slot and connected it my network.  I checked my router status to see what IP address DHCP had given it and then just pointed by Browser at it.  It's awesome being able to see the post / BIOS stuff just from a Java applet - I can imagine never attaching a keyboard, mouse or monitor to this thing.

Anyway, IPMI aside, I just have two drives right now: a Hitachi 2TB  Desktar 7K2000 for parity and a 2TB WD EARS (jumpered 7 & 8 ). Memory is a stick of Corsair PC2-5300 2GB (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=22540) and Unraid 4.5.3 is running off a 4GB Patriot Mini.

I haven't done much beside plug everything in to confirm the hardware works and build the parity disk overnight.

Holy crap that's awesome!  I LOVE that case!  I have so much wasted room in mine, and now that I _JUST_ added drive #3, I can't imagine getting past 6 for movie storage.  Thanks for posting this Weebo.

That's what they all say.. 6 months from now we'll see how it is.. hehehehe.

A new Atom board (X7SPE-HF) just popped up on the supermicro site: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/

The only difference that i could find with the X7SPA-HF vs X7SPE-HF is that the new board is +- 2 cm longer.

Looks like they moved some stuff from near the memory slots to the bottom.

I can only guess, but this might result in a pcb with less layers (cheaper to produce).

The boards are both mentioned in the same user manual: http://supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/ICH9/MNL-1166.pdf

A new Atom board (X7SPE-HF) just popped up on the supermicro site: http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Atom/

The only difference that i could find with the X7SPA-HF vs X7SPE-HF is that the new board is +- 2 cm longer.

Looks like they moved some stuff from near the memory slots to the bottom.

I can only guess, but this might result in a pcb with less layers (cheaper to produce).

The boards are both mentioned in the same user manual: http://supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/ICH9/MNL-1166.pdf

...from the downloadable manual, it looks like they have moved the PCIe slot position down/sidewards.

I think their FAQ states, that with the X7SPA-H(F) you cannot use the slot along with a riser-card when it

is mounted in any of their 1U rack-cases....I am still looking for the info that with the X7SPE-H(F) you can do, though.

regards,

fred

...from the downloadable manual, it looks like they have moved the PCIe slot position down/sidewards.

I think their FAQ states, that with the X7SPA-H(F) you cannot use the slot along with a riser-card when it

is mounted in any of their 1U rack-cases....

That's interesting, because the 5015A-PHF is their X7SPA based 1U server, complete with expansion slot.  The only way that could work is with a low profile riser card.

That's interesting, because the 5015A-PHF is their X7SPA based 1U server, complete with expansion slot.  The only way that could work is with a low profile riser card.

Yes, this is one answer from the FAQ (http://www.supermicro.com/FAQ/index.aspx?&se=x7spa):

The I/O slot on X7SPA lines up in the “Slot 7” position. All the Supermicro 1U chassis require the I/O slot

for a riser card to be in the “Slot 6” position. Therefore, using any riser card in any 1U chassis with X7SPA board is not possible.

...maybe a flex. riser would work.

I have a SC503-200B case sitting here,

waiting for the MoBo to arrive...we'll see how it will fit.

Keep us posted, because I was planning on buying that exact 1U server as for a firewall project.  I can't fathom how/why they would sell it knowing the expansion is useless with that board in that case.  Very good catch on your part, Ford.

Just built a server with the X7SPA-H motherboard. Antec 1080 case, 2 gb pc6400 crucial memory.

I must say, I'm quite impressed with the board, and unraid in general. Setup was easy, unmenu adds some nice flexibility to the stock webUI. I've got 3x500gb disks, 1x1.5tb samsung, and will be adding another 2 1.5 samsungs (as soon as my file copy finishes, and I get the RMA from newegg, new drive failed workout :( ).

So, just saying "Hi" and I'm really enjoying unraid so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep us posted, because I was planning on buying that exact 1U server as for a firewall project.  I can't fathom how/why they would sell it knowing the expansion is useless with that board in that case.  Very good catch on your part, Ford.

OK, my MoBo finally arrived...they are really hard to source at this part of the world.

Here's a PIC with the MoBo mounted into a SC503-200B 1U case:

p5220096.jpg

I didn't have a PCIe card ready, but a PCI will show the details as well:

p5220092.jpg

The slot is approx 1inch apart from the card (ruler shows cm, not inches)

p5220095m.jpg

Anyone to recommend a good flex-riser card for this?

regards,

fred

edit: resized pics

I've got my test rig set up with this board and am playing around with the IPMI functionality.  I thought was possible to directly access the BIOS through this.  I can get to the server management interface fine, but can't seem to find a way to access the actual BIOS screens.  Is this possible?

I've got my test rig set up with this board and am playing around with the IPMI functionality.   I thought was possible to directly access the BIOS through this.   I can get to the server management interface fine, but can't seem to find a way to access the actual BIOS screens.  Is this possible?

You need to have the remote Java applet running prior to starting up the server, because the BIOS splash screen is only available for a few seconds during post, just like in a normal boot cycle.  If you find that it is booting too fast, you can go into the BIOS and disable the fast boot option.  Also note that the IP address is different for the IPMI side than it is for the ethernet port of the system.

I can't think of a normal riser card that includes a 1 inch offset in the horizontal plane like that. By flex riser, you mean something like this?  That kinda sucks that they have no OEM solution for this situation.  :(

Yes, that's exactly the type of riser I meant.

But I learned that riser cards could get tricky because most boards tend to be picky about it.

So a riser from a different source as the board manufacturer is always a risk and a ribbon based

riser is subject to environmental EMC conditions, so risks for side effects are even higher.

...hopefully the X7SPE-H(F) addresses this problem.

The easiest way to tell would be to check if Supermicro would offer a riser as an option

with the barebone (which they do not do for barebones based on X7SPA).

how would you attach a cdrom? I am thinking about how to install an operating system other than UnRaid, for example pfsense or some linux distro.

Roland

IPMI is awsome :D

With the IPMI version of the board, you do not need a CDROM drive.

You can simply mount a local CD-Drive or ISO (local means from the client where

you run the IMPI Viewer/Tool) to the box...it will appear as a USB CDROM drive.

This works with their IMPI Viewer/Tool under Win and Linux.

...I will never, ever go without that feature again for a future build

The following rams work ( I bought a single stick so far).

KINGSTON KVR667D2S5/2G ValueRAM 2GB 2048MB 200-pin pc2-5300 DDR2

tony

...the Kingston HyperX version is also fine.

I am running a 2x2GB Kit of

Kingston HyperX SO-DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-5300S CL4-4-4-12 (DDR2-667) (KHX5300S2LLK2/4G)

...cannot tell if the setup would benefit from the CL4 memory compared to the standard CL5.

I bought them, because they were actually cheaper than the standard version at that time.

The following rams work ( I bought a single stick so far).

KINGSTON KVR667D2S5/2G ValueRAM 2GB 2048MB 200-pin pc2-5300 DDR2

tony

...the Kingston HyperX version is also fine.

I am running a 2x2GB Kit of

Kingston HyperX SO-DIMM Kit 4GB PC2-5300S CL4-4-4-12 (DDR2-667) (KHX5300S2LLK2/4G)

...cannot tell if the setup would benefit from the CL4 memory compared to the standard CL5.

I bought them, because they were actually cheaper than the standard version at that time.

I know when I bought them for my Laptop, It did run a bit snappier.

Got a x7spa H about a week ago, found memory yesterday (1 stick of dane-elec 667, boots and passes memory test).

However the board won't mount my sandisk 2 gig 'pattern' I'v tried both the on board and external ports, no joy.

Needless to say the sandisk mounted fine on my DG945CLF.

As I write this I'm trying another flash drive; a 2gig sandisk cruzer. Btw, the syslinux tool link in the faq is dead.

And lo, there be light......

so powering down, one last try with the pattern- no joy.

Update: after I posted this but before I went to work I formatted the pattern, installed the latest version of unRaid and tried again. This time it worked.

I'm going to go back to a backup tonight and update from there, see if that works.

hi,

new here, please delete if this is off topic.

planning to build a nas with a X7SPA-HF and 4 disks in raid 5.

don't know if anyone here use anything besides unraid.

I am thinking to use RH or SUSE.

but I am confused with the raid on this board. it's it a h/w raid or I have to use s/w raid?

does it appear as one disk in linux?

and from their official manual, raid is only supported in windows?

thank you,

I have ordered my X7SPA-HF yesterday and it will arrive in about 2 weeks (ordered in the US delivery to Middle East).

My planned build is:

Case: HEC (Compucase) 6T10 until I can buy the Lian-Li PC-Q08, which is not sold here yet.

Memory: 1GB / 2x 1GB Samsung 800MHz - Hope it works.

PSU: Corsair cx400w (has 6 Sata connectors !! and 80+)

HDDs: initial setup (will be expanded in future as needed) 2x new 2TB WD20EARS (1 for parity) + 1x existing 1TB WD10EADS.

USB stick: 1GB Sandisk Cruzer Micro Skin.

I am planning on starting with the free 3 drive license to learn and see if it suites me.

I am waiting to see and use the much talked about IPMI interface  :).