unRAID Server Release 6.2.0-rc5 Available

limetech

Two issue which change in RC5

1. If any disk missing in array (no parity), it not allow start because "too many error", in previous version no this limitation. As one of my unRAID server use for backup purpose and I always insert different disk(s) set. Now I need doing "new config" and re-assign all disk, this make trouble.

That was corrected in rc4 - "- md/unraid: correct "new array" detection (so as to only permit autostart if no config change)"

If you found that useful, it was actually a bug in earlier 6.2 versions, because the array should not start if something is wrong.

I don't know how you did it though, as you would always have had to assign the new disks.

A feature in rc5 that may help is the ability to retain the current config when doing a New Config, which should save some time.  You then start with most of the config correct, then assign and unassign as needed.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

can you explain how to correctly use the clone feature please?

Procedure to clone disk or share settings to multiple destinations is to configure a disk/share first with the required settings click Apply.

Next in the drop-down menu select the destinations. Click Clone and settings of the current disk/share are copied. This will be confirmed by a message.

There are separate Clone functions for settings and user permissions (SMB only).

May I suggest adding some Help text?  Once I figured it out, it worked fine, but did require some guessing.  For example, the 'drop-down' box does not look like a drop down, it looks like something you have to type into, and since I had no idea what it wanted, I avoided it for awhile.  Once you click it, it becomes obvious.  Would be nice to have a "check all" toggle, as it's somewhat laborious to have to click as many as I did (minor, not something you would do very often).  Then once check boxes are 'checked', it's not immediately obvious how you activate them.  Perhaps 'Clone' button should be gray until there's something 'checked'.  Would it be clearer if 'Clone' was 'Apply', and moved closer to cloning selections?

I think I remember other new features that could use some Help too, don't remember which at the moment, but would be nice to have all help ready when it goes Final.

Two issue which change in RC5

1. If any disk missing in array (no parity), it not allow start because "too many error", in previous version no this limitation. As one of my unRAID server use for backup purpose and I always insert different disk(s) set. Now I need doing "new config" and re-assign all disk, this make trouble.

That was corrected in rc4 - "- md/unraid: correct "new array" detection (so as to only permit autostart if no config change)"

If you found that useful, it was actually a bug in earlier 6.2 versions, because the array should not start if something is wrong.

I don't know how you did it though, as you would always have had to assign the new disks.

A feature in rc5 that may help is the ability to retain the current config when doing a New Config, which should save some time.  You then start with most of the config correct, then assign and unassign as needed.

Thanks and note there was corrected in rc4 - "- md/unraid: correct "new array" detection. In my case (always disk change) I haven't set auto start  due to it for backup purpose, thats why I haven't assign parity disk too. It is a easy come easy go disk server. But now even only one disk change, I must "new config" then "assign" again, in previous (RC4) I just simple change the missing disk to the new disk or let it missing. The array also can start.

May I suggest in future version, if no parity disk assign, there are no need to check any disk change, just detect and simple start the array.

2. When browsing "share" or "disk" in console, it won't indicate the directory/file in which disk now, but previous version will show.

i am having no trouble doing this.  Perhaps I have misunderstood what you mean, so you could provide a screenshot to illustrate your issue.

Hi itimpi, in previous version, there are disk info. indicate the directory or file which sitting but now only have size info.

Sorry, I make mistake, I click "disk" browse instead "share" browse, so no disk location should be normal.

I've just started having issues when updating dockers - i have a feeling it may be a docker issue but want to check before going for support

I have 2 linuxserver dockers (Apache, Nginx) with updates but when i try to run the update the files are pulled and i am then given the following message:

Error: layers from manifest don't match image configuration

Is this a docker related issue or something in rc5? I'm inclined to say docker issue

I've just started having issues when updating dockers - i have a feeling it may be a docker issue but want to check before going for support

I have 2 linuxserver dockers (Apache, Nginx) with updates but when i try to run the update the files are pulled and i am then given the following message:

Is this a docker related issue or something in rc5? I'm inclined to say docker issue

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg481138#msg481138

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=40937.msg481138#msg481138

Sorry i didn't spot that one earlier squid, many thanks!

I upgraded my system from 6.1.9 to RC5 yesterday evening. Everything seemed to be OK afterwards, however this morning I notice that I can no longer access anything in my user shares. When I log into SSH and try to browse to /mnt/user/ I get the following error:

/bin/ls: cannot access 'user': Transport endpoint is not connected

This appears to be the same error that Capt.Insano was reporting back on Sept 8th. I never saw this problem prior to upgrading to RC5. Attached is my diagnostics file. Rebooting fixes the problem, at least temporarily. I'll be watching to see if it recurs.

-A

nas-diagnostics-20160912-1044.zip

Having a problem assigning a new drive to replace one that failed. The browser just refreshes after I select the drive and shows it as unassigned. I posted in the General Support board but thought i would mention it here as well. I've tried Chrome and Safari from 2 different machines with the same result.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51792.0

tower-diagnostics-20160912-1008.zip

Having a problem assigning a new drive to replace one that failed. The browser just refreshes after I select the drive and shows it as unassigned. I posted in the General Support board but thought i would mention it here as well. I've tried Chrome and Safari from 2 different machines with the same result.

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51792.0

I don't see in that system log where an attempt was made to assign a new device to disk7, does that log cover the attempts where you tried to do that?

Also, I tried to reproduce and it worked ok for me.

Finally, did you try 'safe mode'?

I upgraded my system from 6.1.9 to RC5 yesterday evening. Everything seemed to be OK afterwards, however this morning I notice that I can no longer access anything in my user shares. When I log into SSH and try to browse to /mnt/user/ I get the following error:

This appears to be the same error that Capt.Insano was reporting back on Sept 8th. I never saw this problem prior to upgrading to RC5. Attached is my diagnostics file. Rebooting fixes the problem, at least temporarily. I'll be watching to see if it recurs.

-A

There is a plugin conflict, eg, what is "hpfax"?

Ss soon as I would hit the start array it would go to http://10.0.1.21/undefined which gave me the file not found message

Your syslog shows 'md' to have problems starting the array, it tries it a dozen times before succeeding. This happens from the moment you boot the server (have you tried rebooting the server?)

The last part of the syslog shows an unsuccessful array start, likely giving the "undefined" page when pressing Start in the GUI at that point. It's unclear to me why it is so problematic to start the array, perhaps others can shine their light.

The Seagate drive (disk7) is not included in the SMART reports of diagnostics, this hints to some hardware related issue (diagnostics creates a SMART report of any disk present in the system).

Maybe/maybe not related but you must remove the snap plugin from your go file. This plugin is not compatible with unRAID 6.

And if you do a cleanup, the file 'unraid_notify.cfg' can be removed too, this was used with SimpleFeatures, but not any longer in unRAID6.

Right, the behavior you saw was a "bug", but I'm going to move this to Feature Requests:

a) If no parity disks at all, permit start/auto-start for any present data disks.

b) If parity1 present (but parity2 not present), permit start/auto-start if parity is correct, and all the data devices are correct, but just in different slots.

If parity2 is present, all devices must be present and in their correct slots, no way to get around that one.

Ss soon as I would hit the start array it would go to http://10.0.1.21/undefined which gave me the file not found message

Your syslog shows 'md' to have problems starting the array, it tries it a dozen times before succeeding. This happens from the moment you boot the server (have you tried rebooting the server?)

The last part of the syslog shows an unsuccessful array start, likely giving the "undefined" page when pressing Start in the GUI at that point. It's unclear to me why it is so problematic to start the array, perhaps others can shine their light.

The Seagate drive (disk7) is not included in the SMART reports of diagnostics, this hints to some hardware related issue (diagnostics creates a SMART report of any disk present in the system).

Maybe/maybe not related but you must remove the snap plugin from your go file. This plugin is not compatible with unRAID 6.

And if you do a cleanup, the file 'unraid_notify.cfg' can be removed too, this was used with SimpleFeatures, but not any longer in unRAID6.

I didn't even realize snap was installed. Thanks for letting me know.

I did reboot the server twice this morning trying to get it work.

I did not try safe mode. I don't have a monitor at home, was going to try that tonight but now that I got it working with RC4. The log I attached was after I tried adding the drive.

-A

There is a plugin conflict, eg, what is "hpfax"?

I don't know what hpfax is, as it's not something I've explicitly installed. However, given the directory it's trying to access, I suspect that error is being logged by gfjardim's CUPS Docker image that I was playing around with a couple days ago. That docker was not started at the time of the crash, since I couldn't find the right PPD file for my network printer.

I'm not at home at the moment so I can't give you an explicit list of plugins, but all of the plugins I have installed are pretty 'vanilla'... Stuff like Nerd Pack, Powerdown, CA, Squid's User Scripts and Tips&Tricks and several of the Dynamix packages like System Temp and Cache Dirs.

-A

Right, the behavior you saw was a "bug", but I'm going to move this to Feature Requests:

a) If no parity disks at all, permit start/auto-start for any present data disks.

b) If parity1 present (but parity2 not present), permit start/auto-start if parity is correct, and all the data devices are correct, but just in different slots.

If parity2 is present, all devices must be present and in their correct slots, no way to get around that one.

Note with thanks !!