Outgrowing my N40L

bally12345

So I have HP N40L Microserver with 5x 4TB WD REDS and 1x 240GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD for cache. Now the problem is I am down to around just under 1TB of free space.

I could upgrade 2 disk to 6TB WD Reds but that will only be a short term fix and I dont think I can squeeze another 4TB WD red into that case.

Forgot to mention 1 WD red is for Parity.

Does the N40L support larger drives than 6TB? I will only gain 2TB which I will burn through pretty fast...

Is there any UK suppliers that sell ready made rackmount servers or would I have to attempt to build myself? The only thing I am confused about is the SAS controllers and how that works.

Something with 9-12 drive bays and a CPU with 10000 passmark would be great then I can just have one machine for unraid.

Anyone in UK who can recommend a decent setup and case please let me know.

After searching for awhile I cant find anything to confirm the N40L supports 6Tb but the N54L does.

Im at the stage now where I have other smaller disk under 3TB lying around as I replaced them with 4TB drives and think it makes more sense to go with something that can support more disks. 8 or 12 bays should be perfect along with Intel i7 4790 but which mobo and case to go for and a PSU that is efficient too.

I recently decided the same with 2 x N36Ls, that said you can definitely fit 6 drives in them.  One of them had a 2 port adaptec SATA card and the other I just used the ODD and eSATA ports.  With a cache drive plus 6 hard drives you will need an expansion card I think.

Longer term I would go for something larger, but in the meantime something to consider!

I ran my N54L with 8 external drives before.  I got a Dell Perc H310  and put it in the N54L in the PCIe x16 slot, 2 4x3 drive cages with fans, a replacement power supply for a SANS Digital 5 bay external drive box, 2 4 Sata to 1 molex power adapters and ran my 8 6TB HGST NAS drives external for 6-12 months without problems.

I would just buy a larger case, maybe something like the Silverstone DS380, it holds up to 8 3.5' drives in hot swap bays with a small case in the rear of the case for 2.5' drives. Depending on what board you put in you'll likely need a PCIe card with a few sata ports if you go with 8 drives to start. I built a system using this case there are a few threads about this case listing the pro's and cons, there is also a 'hack' that involves some cardboard to improve the airflow in this case, works great.

So having a good look at what data I have on my unraid machine it looks like I could save a shed load of space by getting rid of some rubbish old tv shows. Do I need all seasons of Pimp My Ride!? NOPE! There a good bunch of other questionable shows that I could quite happily delete such as 21 seasons of simpsons!

I will be keeping Family Guy, Prision Break and some of the lastest shows but the old ones can go. Who ever watches a town called Eureka?

• 2 weeks later...