System Notifications should be enabled by default

trurl

I have dealt with a rash of users this week who didn't get notifications that their disks were going bad and "accidentally" discovered it after they already had problems with multiple drives, which of course makes recovery difficult if not impossible.

And they all said they didn't even know about the feature. One of the best and most critical features of v6, the best reason of all to upgrade from v5 even if you only want a NAS. Something needs to be done to better promote this feature, and having it on by default is probably the easiest way to do this, then they will be sure to notice and ask about it.

I know the email part has to be configured by the user, but we could at least have browser notifications on by default.

It requires a cron file on the flash to activate notifications. This file is created as soon as the user enables the setting and presses apply. There is no other way to "auto" create this file I am afraid.

But... plans exist to add an installation wizard in an upcoming version (beyond 6.2). This wizard guides the user through a number of essential settings, one of them is enabling notifications. The wizard will preselect the most appropriate settings to ensure the user does the "right" thing.

I assume Fix Common Problems warns about notifications being off?  Maybe being disabled should be an error in FCP ...

If nothing is checked off as a destination for notifications (email browser push bullet) then fcp will throw out an error / warning (can't remember which).  And basic check if email is selected and the form isn't fully filled out will also throw an error / warning

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I assume Fix Common Problems warns about notifications being off?  Maybe being disabled should be an error in FCP ...

But unless FCP were installed by default it still wouldn't prevent what I have seen. I get the idea some of these users just want a NAS and don't even look at the webUI very often. unRAID needs to warn them when their drives are having problems before they get into a multiple disk failure, and it has that capability. It just needs to be used.