Anybody planning a Ryzen build?

Just now, killeriq said:

so ur using the "rom dump file" right?

Yeah i have the same issue with UEFI spend couple of days on that till i find it out :(

Yup I dumped the vbios (rom file) on the 670 myself and used it, I had to borrow a GPU off a friend to get it working :)

Tomorrow I'm hoping to use the hex editor method for the 1080ti and hopefully will be able to do it easy enough since I have two of them coming. TBH I don't really need windows on this machine but I want a benchmark before I try getting a docker mining on the gpus.

This machine has turned into a little more server than desktop since I let a few friends have access to my plex server :)

6 hours ago, killeriq said:

Which GPU do you use and do you have UEFI enabled or disabled on Unraid Flash USB?

Asus Radeon 6450 1GB (Desktop) Graphics Card, no UEFI as of yet.  Sorry, can't help you with the NVIDIA stuff.

May I ask what's the pros/cons are to using UEFI, from an unRAID perspective?

23 hours ago, Tuftuf said:

Yup I dumped the vbios (rom file) on the 670 myself and used it, I had to borrow a GPU off a friend to get it working :)

Tomorrow I'm hoping to use the hex editor method for the 1080ti and hopefully will be able to do it easy enough since I have two of them coming. TBH I don't really need windows on this machine but I want a benchmark before I try getting a docker mining on the gpus.

This machine has turned into a little more server than desktop since I let a few friends have access to my plex server :)

well it can be Media server and desktop also ;) did the same...thats why all those try/fails with GPU pass-through - the HEX mod is easy few mins to mod it...

How do u want to mine? create Linux VM with nvOC or something like that and let it run? ...minig my my original idea...but 3 card do lot of heat, so ive put 12x 1080ti on water into Rig

14 minutes ago, killeriq said:

well it can be Media server and desktop also ;) did the same...thats why all those try/fails with GPU pass-through - the HEX mod is easy few mins to mod it...

How do u want to mine? create Linux VM with nvOC or something like that and let it run? ...minig my my original idea...but 3 card do lot of heat, so ive put 12x 1080ti on water into Rig

The system itself was used as 2 desktops, but not at the moment. Really I'm just collecting gpus before building them into a separate rig which might be sooner than planned due to the overall system temperature at the moment.

I've looked at nvOC and a few others, also thought about an ubnutu vm and using docker myself but that was mainly for testing on unraid. Looked at some of the 12 and 16gpu systems recently, still making plans.

You don't happen to have a parts list for your system do you? :)

1 hour ago, Tuftuf said:

The system itself was used as 2 desktops, but not at the moment. Really I'm just collecting gpus before building them into a separate rig which might be sooner than planned due to the overall system temperature at the moment.

I've looked at nvOC and a few others, also thought about an ubnutu vm and using docker myself but that was mainly for testing on unraid. Looked at some of the 12 and 16gpu systems recently, still making plans.

You don't happen to have a parts list for your system do you? :)

i used 12x Asus Strix 1080ti and Asus b250 mining MB , i5 6500t cpu, 4gb ram, usb3.0 and nvOC , oh and 3x server PSU DPS-1200

1 minute ago, Greygoose said:

Just finished my new rig

x1800, asrock itachi, 32gb ddr3 3000mhz,

Nvidia 1030 GT passed thro to VM running offical UNRAID 6.4

Not a single issue, past several hours its been rock solid whilst stress testing in VM.

Did you disable C6 or "global C states" in bios?  The hang typically happens when everything goes idle.

5 minutes ago, Greygoose said:

These are enabled.

The only leg work i did in unraid was the XML within the VM to pass thro the nvidia gfx card.

The system is 24/7 on so will see tomorrow and report back.

AMD claims to be rolling out bios updates for this issue, what is the date on your bios?

1 hour ago, limetech said:

AMD claims to be rolling out bios updates for this issue, what is the date on your bios?

i have 3402 and seems there is now new one 3404 (will update now) ...i have vm running some dockers and all fine now...

BTW: when we have you here... is there any fix that if is USB set and boot in UEFI mode - GPU pass into VM doesnt work ? Thanks

image.png.2d64b5833712260126e88b0fb6e47542.png

8 hours ago, limetech said:

Did you disable C6 or "global C states" in bios?  The hang typically happens when everything goes idle.

I shutdown all dockers and VM's and left the unit overnight.  It was fine, no lockup.

I did speak to a friend who has same, MB,CPU,Ram. He said his system paused after around 1hr and had to apply the fix seen in Sapce invaders video for ryzen build.

The difference between my system and his system is I overclocked my CPU and adjusted all the settings in the bios voltages/etc.

On 1/19/2018 at 4:33 PM, Greygoose said:

Just finished my new rig

x1800, asrock itachi, 32gb ddr3 3000mhz,

Nvidia 1030 GT passed thro to VM running offical UNRAID 6.4

Not a single issue, past several hours its been rock solid whilst stress testing in VM.

Very similar build here!  I have the same mobo, but with a 1700x and 16GB DDR4 3000mhz (Corsair Vengeance LPX.). It's nice to see someone running similar hardware in the forums to potentially bounce issues / ideas off of.

I had been running the RCs from about 11 or 12 onward without issues, currently on 6.4 official.  I have about a dozen Dockers running, and a simple Windows 10 VM with a GTX 1080 passed through for Nicehash.  I haven't had a single lockup ever.  Bios version has been 3.2 since I bought the mobo a couple months ago.

I echo your sentiments about UnRaid and the community here.  A few friends of mine are now running UnRaid because of my raving about it too.  Cheers!

6 hours ago, Greygoose said:

Hi Snazz,

Have you tried to pass thro a second GFX card, I want 2 VMS running and both having their own monitors/keyboards/mouse etc.

Haven't tried a 2nd GPU yet, but I've been thinking about trying to pass through a 2nd GPU to the existing VM I have.  I would guess that if I'm able to do that, you should be able to pass a 2nd GPU to a 2nd VM successfully.  I'll update this thread with results if/when I give it a try.

I just did it :D

GPU 1 running Windows 10 VM

GPU 2 running windows 10 VM

Both running 3 core, 8gb ram, and independent keyboard and mouse.

What I have noticed tho, is the XML file drops out the VBIOS command and I have to reenter. This happens randomly so hopefully, someone can explain why it does this.

EDIT: When i say randomly, it appears to happen when i stop VMs and change other settings within the VM.  Maybe the XML is reloaded back to default config (most likely) when editing the VM config under the VM EDIT function

Edited by Greygoose
I just did it

GPU 1 running Windows 10 VM
GPU 2 running windows 10 VM

Both running 3 core, 8gb ram, and independent keyboard and mouse.

What I have noticed tho, is the XML file drops out the VBIOS command and I have to reenter. This happens randomly so hopefully, someone can explain why it does this.

EDIT: When i say randomly, it appears to happen when i stop VMs and change other settings within the VM.  Maybe the XML is reloaded back to default config (most likely) when editing the VM config under the VM EDIT function

Whenever you edit the template using the editor it clears out manual edits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk