CrashPlan Home Ending

Smackover

5 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

To what?

GSuite Business.  I have about 50TB up there using Syncovery.

I switched my family's backups from my CrashPlan Central account to backup to my unRAID. Hopefully that will still work.

Edited by StevenD

Is there a good way to do a _versioned_ backup from Unraid to another Unraid system across the net?

Could put a box at my parent's house, but I'm looking for versioned backups, not a clone. Kind of similar to how I use Unraid instead of normal RAID since I have weird/different desires, my offsite backups should be backups, not replication in my opinion.

Other thing to replace it would be a good PC/Mac client to point to Unraid. There are lots out there, but anybody have a favorite?

I'm probably missing the obvious, sorry.

1 hour ago, StevenD said:

GSuite Business.  I have about 50TB up there using Syncovery.

I switched my family's backups from my CrashPlan Central account to backup to my unRAID. Hopefully that will still work.

Would that make sense for multi TBs or does the pricing not work when you scale up.  I would imagine most of the folks using unRAID have many TBs of files to backup and want an off-site backup strategy.

2 minutes ago, wayner said:

Would that make sense for multi TBs or does the pricing not work when you scale up.  I would imagine most of the folks using unRAID have many TBs of files to backup and want an off-site backup strategy.

GSuite BUSINESS is $10/month/user unlimited.  You are supposed to have a minimum of 5 users.  Honestly, $600/year for that much space is fairly cheap to me. 

I use Backblaze for $50/yr unlimited.  But it took months to upload all of my data as they appear to throttle your upload speed.  This is for my older media server which is on Windows - I have all of my content mirrored between my new unRAID server and my older Windows server (so that I have an onsite backup) and then the Windows server backs up over the cloud to Backblaze.  Plus I occasionally backup to an external hard drive.

edit - But Backblaze doesn't support Linux so it wouldn't work directly from unRAID.  Maybe you could do it from a Windows VM running on your unRAID server - but I am not sure since Backblaze only lets you backup local drives if I remember correctly.

Edited by wayner

If I stay with Crashplan and migrate to the Crashplan for Small Business will the Crashplan plugin still work with unraid?

It'd be nice to not have to re-upload 1.7tb of data and would sway me for $30 for 2018 and $120/yr thereafter and just stay in the Crashplan ecosystem.

• Upvote 1

Also need a replacement, may go back to DIY with duplicity ( http://duplicity.nongnu.org ) 

I really can't fathom this from a business perspective, at this point there is no way on earth I'd trust them with business backups if they might gibe 60 days notice to quit, one of their features is historical backups so you loose all of those.

I can only assume they're on the rocks or they'd have given 6 months notice. They'll be banking on 20% moving to a plan that's twice the price and 20% moving to their partner that they'll get a kick back for, clearly in need of a cash injection. On that basis alone I'm off.

4 minutes ago, dsmith44 said:

I really can't fathom this from a business perspective, at this point there is no way on earth I'd trust them with business backups if they might gibe 60 days notice to quit, one of their features is historical backups so you loose all of those.

Yes, companies don't seem to realize that your "personal accounts" are often owned by business decision makers. I purchase and recommend software for my "day job". This is the second company that has dropped or otherwise harmed "personal accounts" which definitely influences my decisions at the office.

I have recommended Crashplan in the past... no more.

(LogMeIn is the other one that I'll be happy to not use at the office due to how they treated me on a personal account).

• Upvote 2
7 minutes ago, dsmith44 said:

Also need a replacement, may go back to DIY with duplicity ( http://duplicity.nongnu.org ) 

I can only assume they're on the rocks or they'd have given 6 months notice. They'll be banking on 20% moving to a plan that's twice the price and 20% moving to their partner that they'll get a kick back for, clearly in need of a cash injection. On that basis alone I'm off.

They didn't give 60 days, they gave 1 year 2 months, the cut off is October 2018 not 2017.

That said, the general sentiment I agree with, I will be looking at other options most likely instead of migrating to business.

9 minutes ago, yippy3000 said:

They didn't give 60 days, they gave 1 year 2 months, the cut off is October 2018 not 2017.

That said, the general sentiment I agree with, I will be looking at other options most likely instead of migrating to business.

Direct quote from the email they sent me today.

To allow you time to transition to a new backup solution, we've extended your subscription (at no cost to you) by 60 days. Your new subscription expiration date is 10/26/2017.

So that's 60 days, not a year and 60 days. Not sure where you are getting your date from, 1 year and 2 months would be much more palatable.

The 60 days comes from they EXTENDED any existing subscriptions by 60 days.  So if you had 6 months left on your subscription, you now have 8 months.

The 1 year 2 months is the max date it could be extended to AND the date that computer to computer backups stop.  That is the date they shut off the home service entirely as you could potentially have a subscription that goes that long.

Just now, yippy3000 said:

The 60 days comes from they EXTENDED any existing subscriptions by 60 days.  So if you had 6 months left on your subscription, you now have 8 months.

The 1 year 2 months is the max date it could be extended to AND the date that computer to computer backups stop.  That is the date they shut off the home service entirely as you could potentially have a subscription that goes that long.

Well that makes sense, but as I'm on a monthly contract I've got 64 days to find a new solution and squirt 750GB up a residential connection. :o

Not impossible but I'll need to get started quickly and for that they are on my never ever again list. 

I can see I'll be forced to pay for business for a few months until I'm happy with their replacement.

I'm just trying to find out what'll happen to the client. I had recommended Crashplan to many different family members, who all had their home service, but then a large portion of my unRaid server acts as their secondary backup site.  As I live 30 minutes from most of my family, they could stop over, and do their initial backups to my server while they waited forever for the slow upload speeds in our area to back up to Crashplan.  Also had one instance where my aunt accidentally trashed 30GB of photos, and it was easier for her to visit,  and restore from me than to wait for everything to download again from Crashplan.

I still used, and enjoyed their main service, but the multiple backup locations was such a great feature for family who may not have been as technically savvy.  I'm just trying to figure out how I can continue to provide (relatively) local backups, or if there is any other software that'll work as well as Crashplan.  Or will the client to continue to work the way it does today for remote backups not to CrashPlan central?  I mean I can hope, but they've screwed over so many loyal customers today, somehow I can't imagine that they'd still leave such a beneficial feature intact.

Edited by Skraut

Looking around a bunch, I may do something like Duplicati https://www.duplicati.com/ for the family, provided I can get it running in unRaid, then something like Backblaze B2 to send that to the cloud.  It'd make my system the primary backup point, then dump all that to Backblaze, but maybe we can use the money saved by not buying Crashplan subscriptions to set up a few more unRaid systems amongst each other for more points of backup.