Want ISO --> SmartPhone MP4 converter (hopefully freeware)

queeg

The ISO's are already protection free so the convertor just has to downsize the video.

I rip my movies to ISO and put them on unRAID. 

I'd like to be able to copy/convert them to MP4 movies so I can run them on my phone which is a Samsung Moment running Android 2.1.

Read through the HandBrakeCLI threads : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3714.0

The latest HandBrakeCLI builds have Apple specific preset lists of: Universal, iPad, iPhone & iPod Touch, iPod, and Universal. I imagine the Universal setting might be what you want.

Here's the full list of presets:

< Apple

+ Universal:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1,1 -E faac,ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 -X 720 --loose-anamorphic -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subme=6

+ iPod:  -e x264  -b 700 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 -I -X 320 -m -x level=30:bframes=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=768:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

+ iPhone & iPod Touch:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 -X 480 -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

+ iPad:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -r 29.97 --pfr  -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 -4 -X 1024 --loose-anamorphic -m

+ AppleTV:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1,1 -E faac,ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 -4 -X 960 --loose-anamorphic -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:b-adapt=2:weightb=0:trellis=0:weightp=0:vbv-maxrate=9500:vbv-bufsize=9500

>

< Regular

+ Normal:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 --strict-anamorphic -m -x ref=2:bframes=2:subme=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

+ High Profile:  -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1,1 -E faac,ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 --detelecine --decomb --loose-anamorphic -m -x b-adapt=2:rc-lookahead=50

< Legacy

+ Classic:  -b 1000 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4

+ AppleTV Legacy:  -e x264  -b 2500 -a 1,1 -E faac,ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 -4 --strict-anamorphic -m -x ref=1:subme=5:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:cabac=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

+ iPhone Legacy:  -e x264  -b 960 -a 1 -E faac -B 128 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 -I -X 480 -m -x level=30:cabac=0:ref=1:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=0,0:bframes=0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

+ iPod Legacy:  -e x264  -b 1500 -a 1 -E faac -B 160 -6 dpl2 -R 48 -D 0.0 -f mp4 -I -X 640 -m -x level=30:bframes=0:cabac=0:ref=1:vbv-maxrate=1500:vbv-bufsize=2000:analyse=all:me=umh:no-fast-pskip=1:psy-rd=0,0:subme=6:8x8dct=0:trellis=0

Read through the HandBrakeCLI threads : http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3714.0

Thanks BRiT.

I browsed the page you pointed me to...If this is what is required to get it installed then I'll pass on handbrake.

If you want to compile HandBrake yourself then follow the instructions below - you'll be checking out a development tree of HandBrake and compiling that on your unRAID development box, then installing a package you build yourself.

I respect the Linux knowledge in this forum.  However I've become completely disinterested in either rebuilding the kernal or compiling applications into the unRAID kernal.   Turning a simple install into a 20 hour ordeal is just enough of a finger in the eye to turn me away.

Thanks BRiT.

I browsed the page you pointed me to...If this is what is required to get it installed then I'll pass on handbrake.

If you want to compile HandBrake yourself then follow the instructions below - you'll be checking out a development tree of HandBrake and compiling that on your unRAID development box, then installing a package you build yourself.

I respect the Linux knowledge in this forum.  However I've become completely disinterested in either rebuilding the kernal or compiling applications into the unRAID kernal.   Turning a simple install into a 20 hour ordeal is just enough of a finger in the eye to turn me away.

Fortunately you do not need to compile it yourself, or set up a development instance of unRAID. 

One unRAID forum member performed those steps and provided a link to download a Slackware install package.  That initial version he compiles is in a  post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3714.msg43541#msg43541

He also compiled a newer version and it is available for download here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3714.msg60918#msg60918

Joe L.

Fortunately you do not need to compile it yourself, or set up a development instance of unRAID.   

One unRAID forum member performed those steps and provided a link to download a Slackware install package.  That initial version he compiles is in a  post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3714.msg43541#msg43541

Joe L.

Ahh, thanks Joe.  I'll try to install the package today.  Thanks again BRiT for the presets.

You can always install it on a windows machine.  ;D

Thanks Kizer.  If it doesn't work on the unRAID server then I'll try installing it on a Win machine. 

One unRAID forum member performed those steps and provided a link to download a Slackware install package.  That initial version he compiles is in a  post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=3714.msg43541#msg43541

Joe L.

Ahh, thanks Joe.  I'll try to install the package today.  Thanks again BRiT for the presets.

You can always install it on a windows machine.  ;D

Thanks Kizer.  If it doesn't work on the unRAID server then I'll try installing it on a Win machine.  

I downloaded the HandBrakeCLI-svn3284-unraid.tgz package that ClunkClunk made and installed it on my unRAID server in the /boot/packages folder.  I ran "installpkg H*.tgz" from a telnet session, it installs HandBrakeCLI into /usr/local/bin.

Then I tested it.

/usr/local/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i /mnt/user/Movies/THE_ROYAL_TENENBAUMS_DISC_1.iso -o /mnt/user/Movies/THE_ROYAL_TENENBAUMS_DISK_1.mp4 --preset="Universal"

It created the output movie in mp4 format.  The size of the original was  6.1 Gbytes.  The created mp4 is 1.3 Gbytes.  It plays on my laptop.

My target is my cell phone so 1.3GB is still too big.  

EDIT:  On unRAID with Sempron 140 cpu I got about 28fps (sort of real time encoding).  On my i7 laptop averaged 156fps.

RoyalMP4Details.jpg.f6b09ed0b0d8e55995fd750aa5df6ced.jpg

HandbrakeCPUusage.jpg.e6243be4c39aa2abe14c7f474990af7d.jpg

Joe L.

Ahh, thanks Joe.  I'll try to install the package today.  Thanks again BRiT for the presets.

You can always install it on a windows machine.  ;D

Thanks Kizer.  If it doesn't work on the unRAID server then I'll try installing it on a Win machine. 

I downloaded the HandBrakeCLI-svn3284-unraid.tgz package that ClunkClunk made and installed it on my unRAID server.  It installs HandBrakeCLI into /usr/local/bin.

Then I tested it.

/usr/local/bin/HandBrakeCLI -i /mnt/user/Movies/THE_ROYAL_TENENBAUMS_DISC_1.iso -o /mnt/user/Movies/THE_ROYAL_TENENBAUMS_DISK_1.mp4 --preset="Universal"

It created the output movie in mp4 format.  The size of the original was  6.1 Gbytes.  The created mp4 is 1.3 Gbytes.  It plays on my laptop.

My target is my cell phone so 1.3GB is still too big. 

Now that you have it installed and working you'll probably be better off asking your question of the correct format to use for your cell phone in one of the "handbrake" forums.

What size did you wish to end up with?  You'll probably need to specify something smaller than -X 720.  (Try -X 320 as in the  "iPod" preset shown in the previous post)

What I did was to install the window's version on my PC, then to use it to set some appropriate options when I did a mass conversion of ISO to .avi for use in one of my media players.  You can probably do the same to come up with a set of options that will work for your phone.

Joe L.

Now that you have it installed and working you'll probably be better off asking your question of the correct format to use for your cell phone in one of the "handbrake" forums.

What size did you wish to end up with?  You'll probably need to specify something smaller than -X 720.  (Try -X 320 as in the  "iPod" preset shown in the previous post)

What I did was to install the window's version on my PC, then to use it to set some appropriate options when I did a mass conversion of ISO to .avi for use in one of my media players.   You can probably do the same to come up with a set of options that will work for your phone.

Joe L.

I came across this How to convert for dorid using handbrake posting.  So I installed handbrake on my laptop and converting using the Iphone preset.  It outputs to a .m4v file.  I'm going to copy it to my phone and see if it works.  This file is about 633 Mbytes which is better size.

EDIT:  Wow!  The resolution is beautiful and the audio is stellar using even the stock earbuds that came with the phone.  

When I installed Handbrake on my laptop it updated the presets.  I'm using just the "iPhone & iPod Touch" preset.  

I also tested using the "iPhone Legacy" preset.  The resulting m4v file didn't seem any superior and was larger at 876 Mbytes.

Thanks again Joe.

• 5 months later...

To bad all the config stuff couldn't contain all the settings so you could just launch "hanbrake nameofiso" and wham it would know what settings you wanted and what default directory to store it. The email script has its settings in unMENU. ;)

Indeed, there is not good/easy way to select the iso/file you want to convert.  I am sure I could figure something out, but it would probably be a kludge at best.

I could, and probably would, create buttons on the user scripts page to select the desired settings.  The hard part, like I said is selecting the ISO to convert dynamically as the scripts section do not allow for input on that page.

Perhaps a text box on the 'User Scripts' page could be used to give the path to the ISO file, but the current version of the 'User Scripts' page does not allow for this.  This may be a feature request to present to JoeL!!

To bad all the config stuff couldn't contain all the settings so you could just launch "hanbrake nameofiso" and wham it would know what settings you wanted and what default directory to store it. The email script has its settings in unMENU. ;)

Indeed, there is not good/easy way to select the iso/file you want to convert.  I am sure I could figure something out, but it would probably be a kludge at best.

I could, and probably would, create buttons on the user scripts page to select the desired settings.  The hard part, like I said is selecting the ISO to convert dynamically as the scripts section do not allow for input on that page.

Perhaps a text box on the 'User Scripts' page could be used to give the path to the ISO file, but the current version of the 'User Scripts' page does not allow for this.  This may be a feature request to present to JoeL!!

It is almost as easy to create an entire plugin page as it is a button on the user-scripts page.

It is almost as easy to create an entire plugin page as it is a button on the user-scripts page.

OK, I think I see what you are getting at!!  I had not even considered that approach.

So basically create the plugin page, and if handbrake is not installed tell the user so (kind of like what you do on the 'System Info' plugin page), if it is installed take it from there.

I will have to contemplate this and see if I want to attempt it.  I am sure I could do it, but I have enough other stuff on my plate at the moment... maybe a task if I get bored or can't sleep one night.

A package would be easy, but to use it they would still have to use the command line for everything else related to HB.

What about some default options for 80% of the cases? Just to make them start easily. Of course they may be optimized.

What about having some standard profiles (iPhone, iPad, 720p) and only switching between them from a main wrapper script? Alow for an additional switch for high quality and then a space optimized output.  

What about some default options for 80% of the cases? Just to make them start easily. Of course they may be optimized.

What about having some standard profiles (iPhone, iPad, 720p) and only switching between them from a main wrapper script? Alow for an additional switch for high quality and then a space optimized output.  

Correct in all of the above.  A user script to execute handbrake with the required stuff is fairly straight forward and easy to accomplish.  It is the selecting of the ISO file to be converted that is the more difficult part.

See JoeL's suggestion above about creating a separate plugin for HB.  Though it would not be on the scale of MyMain, it would be a fairly involved plugin to create and make it user friendly enough.

I will add it to my list of things to explore, but probably won't be able to work on it until next weekend at the earliest.

If the location of the ISO is the hardest maybe setup a default directory so when its ran it knows to look in that default location. Of course I've tried to use a handbrake *.iso and it more or less spit out a 234235234.avi. Kinda funny because I said take this location with any file and it spit out a randomly generated 23423532.avi opposed to retaining the original name of the movie.

Having some predefined settings would be awesome. I'm always constantly trying to keep the highest quality that I can and often all I'm doing is removing the 2CH or other languages which I normally do with DVDFab while making the ISO.

Default ISO location: /mnt/disk1/to_convert   Final location: /mnt/disk2/converted

Maybe have 4 blanks in the config

name:iPhone        Config settings:Your defined settings here

name:720           Config settings:Your defined settings here

name:DVD          Config settings:Your defined settings here

name:iPad          Config settings:Your defined settings here

handbrake -iPhone would launch whatever is in the default folder with the iPhone settings to the default folder

Or something like that. I have zero clue how to do any of that, but it sounds like a cool enough wish list. ;)

If the location of the ISO is the hardest maybe setup a default directory so when its ran it knows to look in that default location. Of course I've tried to use a handbrake *.iso and it more or less spit out a 234235234.avi. Kinda funny because I said take this location with any file and it spit out a randomly generated 23423532.avi opposed to retaining the original name of the movie.

What about

for item in *.iso

do

# call handbrake with $item

done

PS:

The same for loop one can use if needed to rename, say *.tod to *.mov .. as one can't just call

mv *.tod *.mov

I'll have to see if I can scrape together an unMENU user script to do what people are looking for. This week is kinda busy for me with work, but I might have a few hours here and there that I can see what I can create. I tend to execute things via command line, but I end up reusing the same scripts over and over, and perhaps these could be invoked via an unMENU user script.

For now, here's the unMENU package I created for HandBrake earlier today. It's a piece of cake to install HandBrake now if you have unMENU.

I'll have to see if I can scrape together an unMENU user script to do what people are looking for. This week is kinda busy for me with work, but I might have a few hours here and there that I can see what I can create. I tend to execute things via command line, but I end up reusing the same scripts over and over, and perhaps these could be invoked via an unMENU user script.

For now, here's the unMENU package I created for HandBrake earlier today. It's a piece of cake to install HandBrake now if you have unMENU.

Thank your for the unMenu package, I know it will help some of the new Users with installing Handbrake.

The downside of a 'User Script' for this type of thing is that it makes it nearly impossible to select a specific ISO to convert and where you want it to be saved.

JoeL's suggestion earlier was to create a page plugin to cover all that.  This should make it possible to control the Handbrake CLI from the web browser, though there will still be some trickery that has to happen.

I don't have Handbrake currently installed on my Test machine but will try to get around to it soon and see what I can come up with.