Can't RDP into Windows 10 VM even with RDP enabled inside OS

Hi. I asked this before, but can't find my answer in search. But want to ask again maybe something has changed. Can we RDP into Windows 10 VM on unraid? I have got the best user experience with it. Furthermore, my X9SCM-F Supermicro motherboard doesn't have built-in audio, so I don't have audio when I remote. I believe RDP provides this? Or is it RDP supports audio over VM?

By using TurboVNC, I don't get any audio. This is my primary issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to clarify what johnnie.black says.

You need Win 10 Pro on the VM on unRaid, but the laptop connecting in can be running the lowly Win 10 Home version.

I do this all the time for Office and web browsing and really love the user experience over wired gbit and even over wifi.   

If you want to be able to RDP into the Windows 10 VM you also need to make sure you have selected a 'bridged' connection when specifying the network settings for the VM so that it is visible on the local LAN.

Regarding not having sound when using VNC this is probably because there is no sound hardware specified in the VM configuration?   You can specify a virtual sound card by editing the XML of the VM and adding an entry of the form:

<sound model='ac97'>
    </sound>

This would also be required to get sound via RDP.

Edited by itimpi
  • Like 1

Hi all, yes, my VM is windows 10 pro. And I also enabled allow remote desktop, still I cannot RDP into 192.168.1.103 (my unraid ip). Does any port number have to be specified?

Thanks for the tip on adding virtual sound card.

As for the network, I assumed I will on bridge, since it is the default? Will double check it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

I cannot seem to find where in my VM template one "enables remote desktop". 

Is this in the VM template or elsewhere?

The VM Template Network Setting is set to br0.

I do not know where the VM IP address is either.  I am missing something basic.  RDP should be easy but my lack of VM experience is probably showing.

Enabling RDP within a VM is exactly the same as enabling it within a bare-metal installation.  Generally they require the Pro version of Windows to be installed, but googling will be able to help you hack other versions.

15 minutes ago, RAP2 said:

VM IP address

Same as within Windows,  Network Properties in Settings

OK - then something is amiss.

This Windows 10 Pro, bare-metal installation happened before I installed UNRAID -  and RDP was working fine; its how I connect to this machine and obviously I know the IP address.

I've been trying to do a pass-through drive and although the VM has started - I just can't check to see if its working.

After dinner, I went back to look and now the NTFS drive with the Windows 10 installation moved to "Historical Devices".  I decided to remove it.  Now it does not show in the main UNRAID window.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  I rebooted UNRAID; same state.  I shutdown the system and pulled the USB flash drive to make sure that Windows 10 still boots bare-metal - that the install still works.  Fortunately, it did.  I RDP's into it and it's exactly in the same state as it was before... and obviously RDP works fine and the IP address is as I thought: 192.168.1.6.

However, I could not RDP to the VM.  So perhaps something was not right in the VM; but, it did start - so who knows?

I guess the first question I have, is when passing through an NTFS drive and binding it to a VM - what is UNRAIDs proper behavior to that drive?  I ask because at first that drive was shown under Unassigned Devices - and then it moved to Historical Devices.  Once I removed it, I expected to have it return to Unassigned Devices; but it did not, even after I shutdown windows and returned to UNRAID.  

So now the drive is not viewable anywhere.  I am considering removing the VM completely but I need to know that nothing will happen to the Windows installation.  At this point I'm on shaky ground understanding how UNRAID VM's work, that I don't want to do anything reckless.

Can I remove the VM and try to start again or are there some risks involved with this?

Edited by RAP2
typo

OK... so back in UNRAID and I to restart the VM - where it started before, it no longer starts and raises this error:

Execution error

Cannot get interface MTU on 'br0': No such device

I went into the settings and somehow my network bridge changed from br0 to virbr0.  I checked the drop-down and the br0 option is no longer there.  It used to be this:

image.thumb.png.2a99b0519cbc76d9f9d9c8f582d2b7cf.png

I think I'd like to pose the earlier question:  may I delete the VM and start again, without causing some strange things to my Windows drive.  I'm hoping my NVMe shows back up in the Main Window so I can start from scratch.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by RAP2
typo/clarification

I've deleted the VM and started again... I still have br0 missing.  Is there a problem using virbr0 instead?

In any case, same problems:  cannot RDP - or VNC into the system.  When VNC loads, it shows the UEFI Interactive Shell window... only thing I could do there is type exit. Then it went to an old school BIOS setting window.  Reset or continue does the same thing; circle back to that UEFI shell... its in a loop.

This should be easier IMHO.