unRAID Server Release 5.0-beta2 Available

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, I see no place to change the flash drive share settings. 

That looks to be a bug/oversight/omission.

Joe L.

Bug.  Workaround until -beta3 is this: append "?name=flash" to the URL of the flash page in your browser.  For example, navigate to Settings/Flash device, URL will look something like this:

//tower/Settings/Flash

manually change to:

//tower/Settings/Flash?name=flash

Now the CIFS security settings will show up.

Is there a way to set "no access" to the flash sharing for a particular user?

I have created a guest account which is used for viewing movies only, this account should not get any access to other shares, specifically 'flash'.

Yes.  You set the CIFS security mode to 'Private'.  After you select 'Private' and click Apply, a list of all your users will appear where you can select the access you want for each user, one of "no access", "read only", "read/write".

NOTE: -beta2 has a bug, the workaround for which is in the post immediate above yours, regarding display of the CIFS Security Settings for the flash device.

Hi Tom,

If there's anything I can help you with concerning AFP, just let me know...

Thanks!  I will probably be taking you up on that.

I have a test server set up and a couple Mac's in the house that I can test with.  Let me know if/when you need help and I will help as much as possible.

Hi Tom,

I have a test server set up and a couple Mac's in the house that I can test with.  Let me know if/when you need help and I will help as much as possible.

I too have a test box and several Macs that I can test with, including PPC and Intel boxes. I'll do what I can!

Doug

Yes.  You set the CIFS security mode to 'Private'.  After you select 'Private' and click Apply, a list of all your users will appear where you can select the access you want for each user, one of "no access", "read only", "read/write".

NOTE: -beta2 has a bug, the workaround for which is in the post immediate above yours, regarding display of the CIFS Security Settings for the flash device.

Yes, I have seen the workaround, but when using 'private' mode it only gives the options "read/write" and "read only" in the dropdown menu. The third option "no access" is not there.

Sorry my mistake I selected "secured" which has two options. The dropdown menu of 'private' has indeed the third option.

In earlier versions, it was possible to choose the user shares to be accessable to everyone, and then one could define either it is "read/write" or "read" only. In the present version, if the share is meant to be open to public it comes with read/write privileges. Any chances to keep the shares open to public but with only "read" privileges (without the need of adding specific users for each share)? I couldn't find any options to sort this out.

In earlier versions, it was possible to choose the user shares to be accessable to everyone, and then one could define either it is "read/write" or "read" only. In the present version, if the share is meant to be open to public it comes with read/write privileges. Any chances to keep the shares open to public but with only "read" privileges (without the need of adding specific users for each share)? I couldn't find any options to sort this out.

Did you read through the new "security model" on this page?

What you describe is exactly what security mode 'Secure' does: read-only to anonymous users, and read/write to selected users (of which none can be selected if  you want).

• 3 weeks later...

I must be missing something.  I can't find a way to un-export the flash share in the new webGui.  Where's it hiding?

It's a bug in beta 2. To work around it add the following to the 'flash device' url after its loaded: ?name=flash

From earlier in this very thread -- http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=7361.msg71459#msg71459

Bug.  Workaround until -beta3 is this: append "?name=flash" to the URL of the flash page in your browser.  For example, navigate to Settings/Flash device, URL will look something like this:

//tower/Settings/Flash

manually change to:

//tower/Settings/Flash?name=flash

Now the CIFS security settings will show up.

Great to see this taking shape.

I might test it on some test environment.

(I have a pro license in the fridge after all - might be too late to come back though, my needs changed and I want my storage box to do more things for me)

In any case, keep up the good work - it's been a long time since I could say that before.

Same here ... I've been waiting ever since I purchased my Pro license.  I don't have a test environment, although I might be able to set something up.  I do have several Macs and iOS devices that would use the AFP service.

- Heroildo

Hi Tom,

I too have a test box and several Macs that I can test with, including PPC and Intel boxes. I'll do what I can!

Doug

I'm backing up three macs to TimeMachine over SMB

I'm waiting for AFP to serve Blu-Ray images to a mac HTPC.

How are you backing up three macs via SMB? Is it reliable, as I tried most known solutions and all backups stopped after a few days.

Cheers

Yes. I'm using these instructions: http://anitechtalk.wordpress.com/2010/07/19/time-machine-dns323/. Note that the last part about changing file permission doesn't work with the current version of unRAID. Version 5.0 should allow it. Allowing the configuration of a maximum size for a share will also solve the problem.

I tried using NFS but that did not work.

Hello,

Before anything else, I have 6 drives, a parity and a tiny cache drive. Total space of about 7TB.

A few questions on the beta. I installed it just now, the parity is rebuilding for some reason?

The speed of the parity-rebuild started off with 20mb/s, and now is 5.5mb/s. It turned out that the mover started up, because the system thought it was 3:40am (which it certainly is not).

On my shares tab, I have a list of shares, but some have green icons beside them, some have orange. What's the meaning of the colours?

There are folders, that when I access them through the shares in Windows, are empty. But when I look at them from the 'Shares' tab (in the webgui), there are files under them. And there should be files under them. Any reason the files are missing when I look at the share in Windows?

Under Settings -> Date/Time, when I set the timezone to UTC-08, and to use NTP, it set itself to 3:40am on the 21st of Sept. It's only 7:40pm on the 20th though.

If under Settings -> CIFS I set the Workgroup to the proper workgroup I have for my Windows machines, the machine crashes and I need to do a reboot. It's not a huge thing, it works as is.

Otherwise it looks/works great so far!

hades

A few questions on the beta. I installed it just now,

In a word, "why?"

General users should never upgrade to a beta release of any software, unless 1) they have a specific problem that the Beta addresses or 2) they are willing to lose all their data for a chance to play around with the Beta version.

Betas are intended for TESTING on NON-CRITICAL systems.  If you want to evaluate a Beta of any software, you should set up a second server with no critical data on it.

The time is correct.... for GMT.  The Beta handles timezones differently and you have to select your time zone in the UI.  You have to export your shares because the default is not exported.  There are new security settings and features.