D-Link DIR-655 (Awesome Router) - $59.99

Rajahal

• 5 months later...

I have the 625 or maybe its the 615 and really like it. Does this one support seperate wireless and wired Mac Filtering? I don't know if there is such a thing, but man there should be. LOL

I use Mac Filtering for my wireless, but I'm forced to use Mac Filtering for Lan as well and I'd like to not have to since its really frustrating to have to add every Mac when I really only want it on my wireless.

I have the DIR-825 and it works great except it will not pass Apple Bonjour traffic.  I'm not sure if this is a Multicast DNS problem or something else.  I was using it as a bridge, not for the "router"/"Firewall" functions.  This seems to be a known problem with the DLink gear.

Is a Gigabit Switch still recommended with this router?  I noticed the router has 4 gigabit ports and I only need 3 ports, however I was not sure if it was still recommended to combo this with a Gigabit Switch.  If that is the case them maybe I will just keep my netgear wireless G/B router and add the TRENDnet 5 port Gigabit Switch that is on sale for $19.99.

You only need a switch if you need more ports.  This router is more than capable of handling all the traffic you put through it.  If you only need 3 ports, then no need for a switch.  I personally use two switches on my network because I needed more ports.  Here's what my network looks like at the moment:

Cable modem-----DIR-655 Router )))) wifi to personal and DJ laptops

|---------Windows 7 Desktop

|---------Personal unRAID server (9 drives)

|---------5 port Trendnet switch (media center in living room)

|---------HTPC (Zbox + SSD + XBMC Live)

|---------Xbox 360

|---------Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver (I can control it from a webpage!)

|---------empty

|---------8 port Trendnet switch (server room)

|---------Client build 1 (20 drives)

|---------Client build 2 (15 drives)

|---------Dev/Beta testing Server (6 drives)

|---------Prototype server 1 (9 drives)

|---------Prototype server 2 (10 drives)

|---------iMac (video editing project I'm doing for work)

Wow, when I spell it out like that it looks pretty damn ridiculous ;)  I actually don't have all the servers hooked up at once simply because I don't have enough network cables.

You only need a switch if you need more ports.  This router is more than capable of handling all the traffic you put through it.  If you only need 3 ports, then no need for a switch.  I personally use two switches on my network because I needed more ports.  Here's what my network looks like at the moment:

Cable modem-----DIR-655 Router )))) wifi to personal and DJ laptops

|---------Windows 7 Desktop

|---------Personal unRAID server (9 drives)

|---------5 port Trendnet switch (media center in living room)

|---------HTPC (Zbox + SSD + XBMC Live)

|---------Xbox 360

|---------Yamaha RX-A1000 receiver (I can control it from a webpage!)

|---------empty

|---------8 port Trendnet switch (server room)

|---------Client build 1 (20 drives)

|---------Client build 2 (15 drives)

|---------Dev/Beta testing Server (6 drives)

|---------Prototype server 1 (9 drives)

|---------Prototype server 2 (10 drives)

|---------iMac (video editing project I'm doing for work)

Wow, when I spell it out like that it looks pretty damn ridiculous ;)  I actually don't have all the servers hooked up at once simply because I don't have enough network cables.

wow that's impressive!

I have the 625 or maybe its the 615 and really like it. Does this one support seperate wireless and wired Mac Filtering? I don't know if there is such a thing, but man there should be. LOL

I use Mac Filtering for my wireless, but I'm forced to use Mac Filtering for Lan as well and I'd like to not have to since its really frustrating to have to add every Mac when I really only want it on my wireless.

MAC filtering on wireless as far from a security aspect is basically useless since they are sent in clear text over the air (even with encryption enabled) and just creates network administrative hassle. So unless you are using it for a different reason, just go with encryption. It's not even like it is another layer of security because if someone even knows enough to sniff your network to even try to crack your encryption, they've already found a valid MAC they can clone.

D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme Wireless Router - 300Mbps, 802.11n (Draft N), 4x Gigabit Ports

This is the router I use and recommend.  Very powerful and capable, and a great deal.  I've been using one for about 3 years now, and I bought a second for my parent's house that has also been running steadily for over a year.

Edit: price from the OP link is now 79.99USD.

You can get a Buffallo WZR-HP-G300NH for the same price at newegg.

This one is fully supported by DD-WRT firmware...in fact Buffallo ships it pre-installed and it has similar hardware features.

Many D-Link models, including the DIR-655 are not supported by DD-WRT. For me this is a killer criteria, since DD-WRT offers more options for versatile setups.

MAC filtering on wireless as far from a security aspect is basically useless since they are sent in clear text over the air (even with encryption enabled) and just creates network administrative hassle. So unless you are using it for a different reason, just go with encryption. It's not even like it is another layer of security because if someone even knows enough to sniff your network to even try to crack your encryption, they've already found a valid MAC they can clone.

Thank you very much for the info on Mac Filtering VS Enabling a Paraphrase. However, I am running a Paraphrase and I do use Mac Filtering as well. Call me over protective if you will. ;)

Like you said its a pain in the butt to use Mac Filtering when it effects your entire network, which is why I was wondering if you can run seperate zones with this router. So I'll either have to soon stop Mac Filtering or just endure the torture of adding every device until my router says no more which is very soon.

What if you already have a router but no gigabit?  Is it ok just to add a switch to it?  Like this D-Link DGS-1008G Gigabit Desktop Switch?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127325

Or is it best you to trow that router in the closet and get this DIR-655?  ;D

New huevos has it for $70.54 free shipping...

Unless you have an issue with your current router and/or you have an internet connection faster than 100meg.... just get a gigabit switch.

Very good router, but I have noticed there are several different hardware versions. I bought one just for a backup $61, and it was a different, but newer hardware version than my old one. The lights were also different looking on the front and blinked differently when connected. Can't say it is better or worse, but I'm using the newer one and it seems to be fine.

Archived