[Support] binhex - qBittorrentVPN

3 minutes ago, Stupot said:

Interesting.  Feel like a bit of a schmuck now going all this time thinking I wasn't able to use all the bandwidth available to me 😂

When you say you're trying to run a leak test, what method(s) do you use?  I've only been doing curl ifconfig.io in console and a Torguard check.  I have never received any notices from my ISP slapping my wrists in the 10+ years of torrenting, so have always assumed everything has been golden.

So prior to this PIA OpenVPN worked I would use ipleak.net and that worked all the time I forgot about ifconfig.io so prior I never tested that. I have been slapped before from an ISP... (scamcast) but I don't have them anymore and that was because I didn't have a kill switch but that was years ago. I've had no issues before but switching to wireguard on the vpn client for whatever reason the torguard and the ipleak.net do not show my ip just doesn't refresh when the torrent is downloading. Actual stuff downloads fine but I cant triple check its using wireguard you know.

Don't feel like a schmuch wire guard is new kind of and wasn't really adopted fully till a few years ago. But is a game changer when downloading so I'm glad this docker added it. But again trying to triple check myself.

Hmm, I just tried ipleak.net and that yielded the same result - it showed the VPN IP...so I am not sure why you are having problems.   

5 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Did you make sure you followed the above?  For me it was all set up on the Docker side of things - I just switched to Wireguard, added the "--privileged=true" argument and then ran it and it connected first time. I then picked the PIA server I wanted and changed it in the wg0.conf file.  That was it.

There is some reference in that documentation about not all PIA endpoints supporting port forwarding.  To be quite honest, I don't understand what an "endpoint" even is, beyond "it's a VPN server address"...and Googling "private internet access wireguard endpoints" didn't yield any results...such as a list...so I'm not sure how one is supposed to know which endpoints support port forwarding.

Did you try a different server/endpoint address? Maybe the one you're connecting to is one of the ones that does not support port forwarding and that's why the IP leak test won't work?  Not sure what implications that would be on actually trying to keep your IP hidden if it doesn't support port forwarding (again, my ignorance is that I don't fully appreciate what "port forwarding endpoint" even means lol).

5 minutes ago, Stupot said:

Hmm, I just tried ipleak.net and that yielded the same result - it showed the VPN IP...so I am not sure why you are having problems.   

Did you make sure you followed the above?  For me it was all set up on the Docker side of things - I just switched to Wireguard, added the "--privileged=true" argument and then ran it and it connected first time. I then picked the PIA server I wanted and changed it in the wg0.conf file.  That was it.

There is some reference in that documentation about not all PIA endpoints supporting port forwarding.  To be quite honest, I don't understand what an "endpoint" even is, beyond "it's a VPN server address"...and Googling "private internet access wireguard endpoints" didn't yield any results...such as a list...so I'm not sure how one is supposed to know which endpoints support port forwarding.

Did you try a different server/endpoint address? Maybe the one you're connecting to is one of the ones that does not support port forwarding and that's why the IP leak test won't work?  Not sure what implications that would be on actually trying to keep your IP hidden if it doesn't support port forwarding (again, my ignorance is that I don't fully appreciate what "port forwarding endpoint" even means lol).

Yeah I did that I Im using unraid's docker and not docker compose but there is the switch which when launching the docker shows --privileged=true so I should be good. and the wg0 file i edited to Ontario since thats close and supports port forwarding. I could reinstall it which ill try later once some things are done.
image.png.aa7c5ee533c498f91fe1e66ed40e87cf.png

I switched to WireGuard. Such a huge improvement in loading times already. It used to take a few minutes to start with OpenVPN.

Here is all I had to do.

1. Stopped the container.

2. Changed to WireGuard from OpenVPN.

3. Started the container and waited for it to load the UI (less than 30 seconds)

4. Stopped the container.

5. Navigate to appdata\binhex-qbittorrentvpn\wireguard\ (config\wireguard\) and opened wg0.conf. I changed the default (nl-amsterdam.privacy.network) to what I wanted from the server list. (Thank you RonneBlaze) I am using ca-ontario.privacy.network.

6. Started the container on the latest version.

I tested with TorGuard and IPLeak and verified it was using the VPN in my chosen location.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, SentientNut said:

I switched to WireGuard. Such a huge improvement in loading times already. It used to take a few minutes to start with OpenVPN.

Here is all I had to do.

3. Started the container and waited for it to load the UI (less than 30 seconds)

5. Navigate to appdata\binhex-qbittorrentvpn\wireguard\ (config\wireguard\) and opened wg0.conf. I changed the default (nl-amsterdam.privacy.network) to what I wanted from the server list. (Thank you RonneBlaze) I am using ca-ontario.privacy.network.

I tested with TorGuard and IPLeak and verified it was using the VPN in my chosen location.

Followed this guide and it fixed it in 2 minutes, thanks.

• Like 1

So I'm super confused after reading the last couple pages, most likely because I'm a little thick. lol

Since mullvad has dropped port forwarding support, I have to switch to a new VPN provider.  I've heard all sorts of horror stories about PIA not being safe to use, but it seems like this container (and many users here) feels otherwise.  I'm not wild about them being US-based, since that opens up the possibility of court-ordered logs being surrendered.  I was considering AirVPN, but I'm a little worried about how tricky the config would be getting things working with the docker.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for some advice on which VPN would be the best specifically for use with this docker, using WG.  I know PIA has 'built-in support', but is it really as safe as an EU-based VPN, or just easy?

I'll be purchasing a multi-year subscription to some VPN this evening, so some advice greatly appreciated... :)

25 minutes ago, Elmojo said:

So I'm super confused after reading the last couple pages, most likely because I'm a little thick. lol

Since mullvad has dropped port forwarding support, I have to switch to a new VPN provider.  I've heard all sorts of horror stories about PIA not being safe to use, but it seems like this container (and many users here) feels otherwise.  I'm not wild about them being US-based, since that opens up the possibility of court-ordered logs being surrendered.  I was considering AirVPN, but I'm a little worried about how tricky the config would be getting things working with the docker.

Anyway, I guess I'm looking for some advice on which VPN would be the best specifically for use with this docker, using WG.  I know PIA has 'built-in support', but is it really as safe as an EU-based VPN, or just easy?

I'll be purchasing a multi-year subscription to some VPN this evening, so some advice greatly appreciated... :)

PIA claims to have a NO LOGS policy that has been audited here. It all looks like marketing and you can choose to trust it or not. I’ve been using them for about 4 years without any complaints.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, SentientNut said:

Here is all I had to do.

Hi

I followed your steps and successfully launched qbittorrent. I can use Sonarr to download. However, I am unable to access the web UI, as the page displays "This site can’t be reached". The container uses Bridge network type.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by TXH11
13 minutes ago, TXH11 said:

Hi

I followed your steps and successfully launched qbittorrent. I can use Sonarr to download. However, I am unable to access the web UI, as the page displays "This site can’t be reached". The container uses Bridge network type.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I would follow this and provide it here. I would also search this topic for webgui as I think others have had this issue.

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

PIA claims to have a NO LOGS policy that has been audited here. It all looks like marketing and you can choose to trust it or not. I’ve been using them for about 4 years without any complaints.

It does indeed look very advertis-y, but thank for that info!  If you use it and haven't had any issues, I feel better.

Is configuring it with WG fairly easy?  I'm pretty technical with most things, but i swear, I struggle with dockers and networking for some reason. lol

13 hours ago, Paper319 said:

Yeah I did that I Im using unraid's docker and not docker compose but there is the switch which when launching the docker shows --privileged=true so I should be good. and the wg0 file i edited to Ontario since thats close and supports port forwarding. I could reinstall it which ill try later once some things are done.
image.png.aa7c5ee533c498f91fe1e66ed40e87cf.png

Sorry guys, I'm stuck on step 1:

image.png.47fc9f9f346c9800cdcbd2fde7ce0fee.png

I don't see a Docker parameter for this in my Qbittorrent docker setup? Any additional detail on this step would be appreciated. Thanks

3 minutes ago, Elmojo said:

It does indeed look very advertis-y, but thank for that info!  If you use it and haven't had any issues, I feel better.

Is configuring it with WG fairly easy?  I'm pretty technical with most things, but i swear, I struggle with dockers and networking for some reason. lol

See this post. It has links to binhex’s great documentation.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, betaman said:

don't see a Docker parameter for this in my Qbittorrent docker setup? Any additional detail on this step would be appreciated. Thanks

You’ll need to be in Advanced View. Top right corner. And there may not be any parameters currently shown.

IMG_2710.thumb.jpeg.8e53890c3b7f3bcca7f3fd13bd986e34.jpeg

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

You’ll need to be in Advanced View. Top right corner. And there may not be any parameters currently shown.

IMG_2710.thumb.jpeg.8e53890c3b7f3bcca7f3fd13bd986e34.jpeg

Thanks for the advanced view tip - knew about it and just forgot.

What I see now is this:

image.png.c2c90a98edd22b2c2d853f4bcfc35270.png

I'm still unclear where I should add --privileged=true?

EDIT: Nevermind. I just saw that "Privileged" was already toggled on. Still can't get the Webgui to come up.  Could this be the issue:

AllowedIPs = 0.0.0.0/0

If I try to change this to 192.168.1.0/24 it just reverts back on container startup.

Edited by betaman
3 minutes ago, betaman said:

still unclear where I should add --privileged=true?

From the documentation linked earlier-

Change Docker parameter from --cap-add=NET_ADMIN to --privileged=true (WireGuard requires privileged permissions).

It’s shown as Extra Parameters in your screenshot.

3 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

From the documentation linked earlier-

It’s shown as Extra Parameters in your screenshot.

Yeah, sorry, I just saw this toggle as well:

image.png.52211f6b20428715ae4ea78b1e25821e.png

Still not getting the webgui.

7 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Post your supervisord log. Be sure to redact users and passwords.

I just took a look at the supervisorord.log. Getting this warning:

[warn] Unable to successfully download PIA json to generate token for wireguard from URL 'https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/gtoken/generateToken'

10 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Also your docker run command.

docker run
  -d
  --name='binhex-qbittorrentvpn'
  --net='bridge'
  --privileged=true
  -e TZ="America/New_York"
  -e HOST_OS="Unraid"
  -e HOST_HOSTNAME="Tower"
  -e HOST_CONTAINERNAME="binhex-qbittorrentvpn"
  -e 'VPN_ENABLED'='yes'
  -e 'VPN_USER'='XXXXX'
  -e 'VPN_PASS'='XXXXX'
  -e 'VPN_PROV'='pia'
  -e 'VPN_CLIENT'='wireguard'
  -e 'VPN_OPTIONS'=''
  -e 'STRICT_PORT_FORWARD'='yes'
  -e 'ENABLE_PRIVOXY'='yes'
  -e 'WEBUI_PORT'='8080'
  -e 'LAN_NETWORK'='192.168.1.0/24'
  -e 'NAME_SERVERS'='84.200.69.80,37.235.1.174,1.1.1.1,37.235.1.177,84.200.70.40,1.0.0.1'
  -e 'VPN_INPUT_PORTS'=''
  -e 'VPN_OUTPUT_PORTS'=''
  -e 'DEBUG'='false'
  -e 'UMASK'='000'
  -e 'PUID'='99'
  -e 'PGID'='100'
  -l net.unraid.docker.managed=dockerman
  -l net.unraid.docker.webui='http://[IP]:[PORT:8080]/'
  -l net.unraid.docker.icon='https://raw.githubusercontent.com/binhex/docker-templates/master/binhex/images/qbittorrent-icon.png'
  -p '6881:6881/tcp'
  -p '6881:6881/udp'
  -p '8080:8080/tcp'
  -p '8118:8118/tcp'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/downloads':'/data':'rw'
  -v '/mnt/user/appdata/binhex-qbittorrentvpn':'/config':'rw' 'binhex/arch-qbittorrentvpn'
b62d305dd6ed14ece4b1d60d366b49eee6b377ae9282c083719b902316c5de17

The command finished successfully!