Parity drive upgrade

Disk 5, these are usually due to connection issues. You can click on that warning to acknowledge and it should clear it until you get more of those. If you get it again you should check the connections:

Serial Number:    5XW1P3BD
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAGS    VALUE WORST THRESH FAIL RAW_VALUE
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    -OSRCK   200   200   000    -    8

The warnings on the other disks are actual disk problems though and need to be dealt with. If you lose a disk parity will need all of the other disks working well to calculate the data to reconstruct that missing disk.

ok, sorry.........................I'm learning every day 😊

Too bad, I should have purchased 2 x 8TB WD Easystore at Best Buy, instead of just 1

The one I got, once opened, was a Red drive (which is now my parity drive)

Looks like i need to find a good price on at least a 4TB ....There is a Seagate Barracuda 4TB i can get for $90 (tax included)

Is this a decent choice?

1 hour ago, French-Guy said:

ok.....thanks

Copy is completed, how do I format Disk 4 in xfs?

I've stopped the array, but can't find the option 🙄 (or maybe I had too much champagne !)

You can click on the disk and then change the format to be XFS.    When you now start the array the disk will be shown as unmountable and the option to format unmountable disks will be available.

Thanks Itimpi....I googled it and was able to find an answer (from a post in 2015 actually from Limetech!!!) just 5 minutes ago

It worked just fine....So now I have 2 drives under xfs, and still 3 under reiserfs (1, 2 and 3 knowing 2 and 3 need to be replaced apparently)

I'm looking right now for a 4TB at a good price ..................!

Happy Thanksgiving 

Array.JPG

Hi

OK, so copy of disk 2 (1.5TB Seagate) is completed onto Disk 4 (2TB WD), and I've just formatted Disk 2 into xfs

I thought I would try a preclear in Disk 2.........But when I use the Pre-clear plugin, it gives me the right serial number, but not the right size (2TB instead of 1.5TB)............Is it because i formatted it into xfs already?

preclear.JPG

1 hour ago, French-Guy said:

..., and I've just formatted Disk 2 into xfs I thought I would try a preclear in Disk 2..

By "disk 2" do you mean the disk assigned to slot 2 in the array? You can't preclear a disk in the array and preclear shouldn't allow you to attempt to. And you don't want to anyway because that would invalidate parity.

55 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

I mean "Disk 2" as it shows on the picture (ST31500541AS_6XW0Y8ZN - 1.5 TB (sde))

When I stop the array, unassigned the drive and try to preclear it with the plugin, it shows 2TB ........but the drive is 1,5TB !!!

disk 2.JPG

preclear 2.JPG

OK. That is the conventional meaning of Disk 2 around here.

As I said before

3 hours ago, trurl said:

You can't preclear a disk in the array and preclear shouldn't allow you to attempt to. And you don't want to anyway because that would invalidate parity.

3 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

But if the disk is unassigned?

Pre-clear sees it and would let me launch the pre-clear operation apparently.........Only problem, it's indicating the wrong size !

None of your screenshots show the disk as Unassigned. They all show the array started with that disk assigned as Disk 2. If Disk 2 was unassigned, you would see "Unassigned" for Disk 2 in the Array Devices section, and if it were unassigned with the array started, then it would be emulating the disk. But it is showing the disk as Green in slot 2 with the array started.

If it is also showing up in the Unassigned Devices section then I suspect a plugin issue, Preclear or Unassigned Devices or both. You really don't want to do anything with that disk until these are corrected. And that disk won't benefit from preclearing anyway. I don't know why you think you want to preclear that disk.

41 minutes ago, trurl said:

None of your screenshots show the disk as Unassigned. They all show the array started with that disk assigned as Disk 2. If Disk 2 was unassigned, you would see "Unassigned" for Disk 2 in the Array Devices section, and if it were unassigned with the array started, then it would be emulating the disk. But it is showing the disk as Green in slot 2 with the array started.

If it is also showing up in the Unassigned Devices section then I suspect a plugin issue, Preclear or Unassigned Devices or both. You really don't want to do anything with that disk until these are corrected. And that disk won't benefit from preclearing anyway. I don't know why you think you want to preclear that disk.

Sorry, I should have been more explicit

Yes, array is stopped and Disk 2 unassigned 

And the preclear plugin shows that disk, but with the wrong size 

I just wanted to see what error(s) the preclear would report, that's it....

Should I just throw it away?

Capture #1.JPG

Capture #3.JPG

A more reasonable thing to do would be to run the extended SMART test on the disk. I'm not sure what you have done to get to where you are though. If you assign the disk as Disk 2 is it going to let you start the array without rebuilding parity?

WIth this many compromised disks I would just shut down until you are ready to replace at least Disk 2 and Disk 3. I think there is some chance that you may even have some issues with rebuilding to the replacements due to the issues with these 2 disks.

The first order of business though would be backups. Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

You don't want to throw either of these disks away though. They might be useful to recover some data from if there are problems with rebuilding to replacements. And of course, you can only replace/rebuild one of these at a time, and when you do the first replacement, the other disk will have to be part of the array so the parity calculation can get the data to rebuild.

I really think it is pointless to test either of these disks any further. Replace ASAP.

But

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

The first order of business though would be backups. Do you have backups of anything important and irreplaceable?

For now, the entire Disk 2 was copied on Disk 4.....so I could take Disk 2 out of the server.

Disk 3 remains the main issue then....

I've ordered a 4TB WD Easystore, hoping it's a Red inside

In terms of backup, maybe I should get a USB ext drive at Costco for example and copy all my pictures.....

Edited by French-Guy
16 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

the entire Disk 2 was copied on Disk 4.....so I could take Disk 2 out of the server.

I had forgotten Disk 2 was formatted. It is still part of parity though so you can't take it out since it is required to rebuild the other disk. I'm not sure whether it makes more sense to rebuild 2 then rebuild 3 or do 3 then 2.

Rebuilding 3 then removing 2 is another option and might be the best. Maybe someone else will have an opinion.

But you have to get 2 back in the array without rebuilding parity. 

How did you get 2 out of the array? Did you just Unassign it? Have you started the array since then? Are there any other details you haven't told us about?