Parity drive upgrade

19 minutes ago, John_M said:

It's only the 8 TB externals that use helium.

The newer 8TB WD drives are non helium, they use less but bigger platters and are faster than the helium ones, they they use more power and run hotter.

8 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

is a Blue disk for Data a bad choice?

They are perfectly fine, I have several myself, though probably not the best if you have many disks on the server, since the don't have vibration protection and I believe they can fail more than normal when used on a server with several disks, like 12+.

3 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

Data rebuild is at 58.3%....

Is it OK to use the array, or better leave it alone until rebuild is 100% completed?

Using it will slow things down since any disk access will be competing with the rebuild and will cause a lot of seeking as the disks go back and forth trying to access different areas for the competing processes.

2 minutes ago, French-Guy said:

I think it's because it's "Public".............I need to change this. I see it (as well as Disk 5 by the way) on top of my Shares from my WD TV Live

Yes I just tried that with my flash and I get a warning too. I set mine to Export: Yes (Hidden) and the warning goes away. Hidden means you can't see it on the network but you can still access it by specifying its path.

Why are you sharing Disk 5? I recommend not sharing any disks and only have your user shares available on the network.

2 hours ago, French-Guy said:

I didn't do anything specific about Disk 5. Looks like it set up like that when I installed it

I will have to fix this as well. But even if I see it with my shares, I know I don't want to access it anyway...

Unclear to me from looking at your diagnostics why Disk5 would be shared.

disk.cfg does say disk5 is exported, but shares.cfg isn't excluding disk5 from user shares. Maybe when Global Share Settings - Enable disk shares is set to Auto it shares a disk that doesn't have any folders on it yet.

I will post a diagnostic tonight (since Disk 3 was successfully rebuilt on the new 8TB drive, and I remember you recommended to post a diagnostic after that operation)

But like I said (and I'm 100% sure about that) I haven't done anything about sharing or not Disk 5

I just installed it in a bay, that's it...

I will look at it tonight

Don't forget about this

On 11/20/2018 at 6:31 PM, trurl said:

You can always download a zipped copy of flash at Main - Boot Device - Flash - Flash Backup

On 11/20/2018 at 6:47 PM, trurl said:

It is especially important after making any disk assignment change so if you need to restore flash it will boot up with the correct disk assignments.  But it is also a good idea to get a backup when you make any other change in the webUI since all webUI settings are saved to flash.

56 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Make sure there are no folders named Disk5 in the root of any drives. If there are, you probably want to move the contents out of the Disk5 folder and back into the root of the drive.

It's possible you created a Disk5 folder by accident when you were trying to move data around.

I thought of that but the last diagnostic he posted didn't seem to have any share by that name so

2 hours ago, trurl said:

disk.cfg does say disk5 is exported, but shares.cfg isn't excluding disk5 from user shares. Maybe when Global Share Settings - Enable disk shares is set to Auto it shares a disk that doesn't have any folders on it yet.

I've fixed the flash warning - I used Export: yes (hidden) - Warning sign is gone

I've also made a flash backup

Here is the latest diagnostic as well (see attached)

I'm not seeing any "Disk5" folder in the root of any drive.....

Disk 1, 2 and 5 are only showing Shares (MUSIC, TV SHOWS, PICTURES, MOVIES)

But Disk 3 and 4 are also showing other folders (such as System, Appdata, domains, isos)

But no "Disk 5" folder"......

But in Shares, I see this......!

1801757027_Disk5.thumb.JPG.6e6591125662f958d98c556e4d21f673.JPG

tower-diagnostics-20181126-1851.zip

Edited by French-Guy

Does Disk5 actually have any folders on it? Top level folders on any disk is automatically a user share. I am just wondering if Disk5 was made shareable because it didn't have any folders (user shares) yet.

1 hour ago, French-Guy said:

But Disk 3 and 4 are also showing other folders (such as System, Appdata, domains, isos)

Just noticed you don't have cache, which is where these user shares would usually reside. They will typically be on cache so their performance isn't impacted by parity updates.

I've attached a screenshot showing folders on Disk5:

720175508_Disk5.thumb.JPG.98a76a6870dd3fd640359f4e434f4057.JPG

When EVERYTHING is fixed (Disk 2, ReiserFS, etc..), I was planning to install a cache drive (SSD)

By the way, I think I will replace Disk2 once I receive my 4TB Easystore, whatever the color is (Blue, White or Red)........!

Edited by French-Guy

OK, so got my WD 4TB Easystore. Still not opened, so I don't know if it's going to be Blue, Red, White, Green, etc...

But assuming I keep it to replace Disk2, I just need to do what I did for Disk3:

-) Take Disk 2 out

-) Install new 4TB drive in bay

-) Assign new 4TB drive to Disk 2

-) Start the array and let rebuild data?